Chances for foreigners to pass the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a 1st year MBBS student from India. I would really like to come to the US to do my residency after I complete my MBBS. I heard that in order to do this, I'll have to complete the USMLE. I know that the USMLE steps I and II can be done in India itself, but step III has to be done in the US. So is it possible for me to complete the USMLE steps I and II before I graduate from the medical college? Also will I have to lose a year or more during the period I complete step III and start a residency? Also I heard that many foreign students dont pass the USMLE on the first attempt. Is this true?

Drox

Members don't see this ad.

You are right that you can take step 1 and step 2 CK in India, but you must take step 2 CS and step 3 in the US. Step 2 CS must be done before starting your residency, but step 3 is usually done during the first year of training (ie, you don't need to take it in order to get a training position). You can take step 1 and 2 during school (anytime after your basic sciences).
It is true that the pass rate for the steps are lower among FMG's. However, if you study hard and take the exam seriously you will probably do fine.

FlindersGrad said:
You are right that you can take step 1 and step 2 CK in India, but you must take step 2 CS and step 3 in the US. Step 2 CS must be done before starting your residency, but step 3 is usually done during the first year of training (ie, you don't need to take it in order to get a training position). You can take step 1 and 2 during school (anytime after your basic sciences).
It is true that the pass rate for the steps are lower among FMG's. However, if you study hard and take the exam seriously you will probably do fine.

Hi Flinders,
Thanks for the reply! So in short I can do all these and get into residency successfully without losing a year but it is going to be very difficult. Why is it that the pass rate for FMG's are really low?
Thanks
Drox

Members don't see this ad :)
The pass rate for FMGs is not really low. I don't know the exact number, but it's probably around 70% (or more) pass rate on first attempt. So....most people still pass on the first attempt. The US pass rate is around 98%.

The reason the pass rate for FMGs is lower is likely multifactoral.
1)Some people may underestimate the difficulty of the exam.
2)The language barrier most certainly would hurt some candidates.
3)People are taking this exam from all around the world and some medical schools may not be that great at teaching the required knowledge.
4)US med schools teach their students to pass this exam, and foreign schools generally do not.

There's probably lots of other reasons as well, but those are just a few.

At any rate, talk to other people who have taken the exams, start studying early in your degree, and just work hard. Chances are you will be fine.

2005 data

http://www.usmle.org/scores/2005perf.htm

Step1

US MDs: 92%
US DOs: 72%
FMGs: 59%

Step2ck

US MDs: 93%
US DOs: 85%
FMGs: 71%

Step2cs

US MDs: 96%