Chances at florida medical schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yana6518

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my application earlier this week. I got a 30R on the MCAT and have a 3.95 overall and 3.97 science GPA. I am concerned that I did not take a rigorous enough course load. I attend FSU, but only took 12-15 credit hours, never more than 15.
I applied to all the medical schools in florida, and probably have at least a month before my application will be processed. While I wait, does anyone have any feedback about whether I should be concerned with a non-rigorous course load? Or about my chances of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Both GPAs look solid; as long as you took two science courses (or close to two on average) per semester, I wouldn't worry about credit load too much (that's just my opinion). In terms of chances of acceptance, however, more information is needed. Extracurriculars? Volunteer experience? Shadowing? Research?

I just submitted my application earlier this week. I got a 30R on the MCAT and have a 3.95 overall and 3.97 science GPA. I am concerned that I did not take a rigorous enough course load. I attend FSU, but only took 12-15 credit hours, never more than 15.
I applied to all the medical schools in florida, and probably have at least a month before my application will be processed. While I wait, does anyone have any feedback about whether I should be concerned with a non-rigorous course load? Or about my chances of acceptance?
Bieng from FL increase your chances substantially since FL has become the bastion of medical school. There is basically a MD/DO school in every corner of the state. I dont think you should be concerned if you have been taking at least 12 credits/semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have shadowed, I do volunteer work in the pediatric ward of a hospital w Ronald McDonald House. I hold a leadership position with an honors society and do a lot of volunteering with them. I'm part of the FSU honors program, but I haven't done research. I mean I have done extracurrciculars here and there; i took an adult gymnastics class for a yr and stuff like that, but nothing that is amazing. But I do have really good letters of rec. I have usually taken 3 science courses a semester.

Extracurriculars seem fine/good, assuming you've stuck with them (esp hospital) for a while. You should be fine for the vast majority of Florida schools. The only one that I might have a question mark on is UCF just because they're incredibly research-heavy, but other than that you're good to go! best of luck!

Extracurriculars seem fine/good, assuming you've stuck with them (esp hospital) for a while. You should be fine for the vast majority of Florida schools. The only one that I might have a question mark on is UCF just because they're incredibly research-heavy, but other than that you're good to go! best of luck!
Did not know that....

I admit I'm sort of drawing on what Rel, the director of admissions, told me about my app last year (this was before I got off UF wait list. He said that my research was below average, and while it's not exactly average I did do some meaningful research for about a year. While that may be the changing landscape of the med admissions process, I have seen and heard from others that UCF likes to ask a lot of questions during your interview about your research.

It seems kind of odd, considering that UCF is a relatively young school, that they are so research-focused, but I guess that's good. It was just surprising to me.

I admit I'm sort of drawing on what Rel, the director of admissions, told me about my app last year (this was before I got off UF wait list. He said that my research was below average, and while it's not exactly average I did do some meaningful research for about a year. While that may be the changing landscape of the med admissions process, I have seen and heard from others that UCF likes to ask a lot of questions during your interview about your research.

It seems kind of odd, considering that UCF is a relatively young school, that they are so research-focused, but I guess that's good. It was just surprising to me.
I know someone who got in with one semester of research with no publication at all.