Chances at BM/JHU/Goucher/Scripps--any input?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsabell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new here, and just joined since, like many of us, I just decided to make a major shift into medicine. I am pretty intent, and have the savings to finance, a formal post-bacc program, and it seems like at least the best programs (Scripps, Goucher, JHU, BM, NYU/Columbia) are worth it. Since most programs don't publish very detailed statistical breakdowns of their acceptance rates, though, I'm not sure of my chances. So, here's my relevant info:

Undergrad Major: Political Science, Philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin
Undergrad GPA overall: 3.68
Major GPA: 3.85
Science GPA (from a few classes taken in 2007): 3.17

[I have taken several science classes 5 years ago (like Gen Chem, Calc), but virtually admissions directors I've spoken too indicate that its not a problem, since they constitute less than half the required courses and were so long ago. Grades in all were A/Bs.]

SAT score: 2380/2400, or 1580/1600 excluding writing

Volunteered at 2 hospitals, in surgery and emergency respectively for about 7 months. Shadowed 4 doctors for a total of around 60 hours.

Extensive research experience in my humanities fields, and very solid LORs. Working as a paralegal for 2 years as well.

How does all of this sound? It really seems to me like these programs are only worth the time and expense if they can basically guarantee you into a solid med school if you perform well, and only the top tier seem to be able to do that.

any and all feedback is appreciated!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Not that my opinion carries a whole lot of weight, but your grades are better than mine, and I got into one of the programs on your list.

If you've got the money to fund a formal post-bacc, you've got the money to submit a few applications and let the only people that really matter give you thier opinions.