chances at a top program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treasures18

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be an HPM applicant this year--super excited as I believe I have found the field I love.
Please let me know my chances of getting into a top university program:

About me:
Osteopathic med school grad
Community hospital IM residency grad
Out of residency two years working as a hospitalist

low USMLE scores
ABIM and ABOIM board certified

UMaryland Palliative Graduate Certificate

4 LORs --from physicians/faculty that know me very well

AAHPM member, also SHM and ACP
Co-editor of hospitalist newsletter
Wellness Committee
Ethics Committee

Enrolled in Medical Spanish - currently taking

No publications

My main concerns are my low USMLE scores and that I do not have any publications. How much of role will this play?
I appreciate all advice.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I will be an HPM applicant this year--super excited as I believe I have found the field I love.

About me:

low USMLE scores

Wellness Committee
Ethics Committee

No publications

My main concerns are my low USMLE scores and that I do not have any publications. How much of role will this play?
I appreciate all advice.

Thanks!

Can you tell us more about what "a top university program" means to you?

Also, what are your goals for after fellowship?

Can you tell us more about what "a top university program" means to you?

Also, what are your goals for after fellowship?

Thank you for the response Frazier.

A top university program to me means more opportunity for discovery--I will likely be able to work at the university hospital, VA as well as public/county hospital to really get a diverse experience. I can learn more about myself if I experience different hospital settings and patient populations and see where I thrive and also where I need to improve. Also, at a top university program I will be able to work with outstanding faculty that are leaders in the field. I am not saying in a community setting I wouldn't get this but I feel it would be less likely.
My goal for after fellowship (which may change during or after fellowship) is to work on an inpatient palliative consultation service at a hospital with an established program. My goal/dream for later down the road would be to start an inpatient palliative consult service at a community or public/county hospital that does not have one.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you will be a great addition to the field; it is admirable your goal to help further expand services to patients that will undoubtedly benefit. You're right that many of the university programs have a multi-site system designed similar to what you described (as I'm sure you saw in your research). Stanford comes to mind in particular with their opportunities at the University hospital, Santa Clara, and VA.

With interviews being virtual this year, it will be wise to make a list of every single place that meets your needs and just apply, apply, apply.

Some places tend to take applicants affiliated with their own institution - for example, harvard's MGH program (iirc something like 4/5 were affiliated).
Some places might have cut-offs for low STEP scores, so be sure to look this up so you don't waste your funds.

Overall, while osteopathic graduates do not make up the majority of fellows in any given year, I don't think it will help or hurt.
Your hospitalist experience will likely help, as your "extracurriculars" and committee involvement.

Most of all, have a strong story of why HPM for your PS and your interview day.

Hi all,

About me:

low USMLE scores

Wellness Committee
Ethics Committee

No publications

I appreciate all advice.

Thanks!

Given your commitment to HPM-related topics as demonstrated by your deeds (Ethics Committee, AAHPM member, ongoing self-betterment activities) I think you have a nearly 100% chance of matching at a university-affiliated program where you'll get excellent training. If you are targeting a specific university, then chances will be dependent on that program. I second @Frazier and recommend applying broadly and seeing what comes back.

Best of luck!

Given your commitment to HPM-related topics as demonstrated by your deeds (Ethics Committee, AAHPM member, ongoing self-betterment activities) I think you have a nearly 100% chance of matching at a university-affiliated program where you'll get excellent training. If you are targeting a specific university, then chances will be dependent on that program. I second @Frazier and recommend applying broadly and seeing what comes back.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much WilcoWorld and Frazier! I appreciate the words of encouragement.