Chances as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonick123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am an IMG thinking about applying for next year's match in pathology. My step 1 score is 210( I know it is really bad but I got bad anxiety and burnout on test day), Step 2 253 all in first attempts. I am also going to work a junior pathologist in my home country for a year and a half and I will have 2 LORs from US and 2 from home country pathologist. What do you think are my chances to match and what programs am I competitive for? TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

you could match at 99% of all the programs... i am being serious..

you could match at 99% of all the programs... i am being serious..
For real? I am mainly interested in forensics. Should look at programs which have in-house fellowship or at the best possible university program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to inbox me. I am doing forensics too.

An in-house fellowship could help, especially if you want to go to one of the bigger training programs. At least have an ME rotation during residency for exposure, LORs, contacts, etc.

It may not be optimal to get into med school where you want to do forensics. The med school admission is the hard part. It is generally not hard to get into a good forensic program however ( info may be dated, i am out of the loop for awhile). AZ, baltimore, miami, chicago and NYC were the biggies when i was around. AZ seemed particularly attractive. Try to do a rotation where you want your fellowship.

Feel free to DM me if you are interested in FP.