Chances as a DO student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycdreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for asking a typical "what are my chances" question! Not much I can do but I'd like to know what others think.

DO student
Pre-clinicals: P
Step 1: 221
Clinicals: all P (missed the cutoff by 1-2 points!!)
Step 2: 251
Extracurriculars: A few mentorship roles, leadership role, volunteering
Research: Radiology- 1 published paper (not 1st author), submitted 1 paper (2nd author), working on several projects right now to be submitted soon. Non-radiology: 2 case reports (1st author on both)
LORs: Very strong, 2 are DR

Applied very broadly (~100 programs). Don't mind going to a community program, would like to stay in the NE

Members don't see this ad.

Applying this year too so I can't really comment on your chances. Though, I just wanted to say congratulations and great job on the jump from Step 1 to Step 2.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You can match most likely a community program. Sorry to break it to you but that step 1 will hurt your app

I think you will match if you apply broadly and do not have too many location restrictions.

From there, you can do well in residency and land a fellowship that may be at a stronger institution. But I think you will be OK. Try to interview and rank at least 12 programs for radiology and about 10-12 for prelim year and you'll be good. Keep in mind that TYs are more competitive, so ranking 12 TYs is not as safe as ranking 12 prelim med or surg.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions. I am a DO who is in residency.