Chances and Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyjetsfan141

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this upcoming cycle and was hoping for any input on my chances for acceptance, as well as any advice on where I can improve my app.

Junior at a top 20 public state school
cGPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.81
MCAT: Hoping for at least around a 33 - will be taking in May, currently taking a Kaplan course and I've taken the Diagnostic (scored a 30) and FL #6 (scored a 36) so far

Volunteering: 175 hours in a hospital's ED
Shadowing: 30 hrs total with an anesthesiologist, orthopedic surgeon, and hospitalist - will likely have 10-20 more hours by the time I apply

Research: worked in a parasitology lab for the past year - giving an oral presentation at the American Society of Parasitologists convention this July and hopefully will have a publication sometime in the fall

EC:
Member of the university's honors program
Rush Chair of a fraternity
Bio and Physics tutor for athletes
Youth wrestling volunteer coach
various intramurals and a couple other clubs

I would especially appreciate any opinions on my chances at UMASS as I am a MA resident and this is one of my top choices. Finally, any thoughts on if it would be a good idea for me to apply Early Decision to UMASS?

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying this upcoming cycle and was hoping for any input on my chances for acceptance, as well as any advice on where I can improve my app.

Junior at a top 20 public state school
cGPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.81
MCAT: Hoping for at least around a 33 - will be taking in May, currently taking a Kaplan course and I've taken the Diagnostic (scored a 30) and FL #6 (scored a 36) so far

Volunteering: 175 hours in a hospital's ED
Shadowing: 30 hrs total with an anesthesiologist, orthopedic surgeon, and hospitalist - will likely have 10-20 more hours by the time I apply

Research: worked in a parasitology lab for the past year - giving an oral presentation at the American Society of Parasitologists convention this July and hopefully will have a publication sometime in the fall

EC:
Member of the university's honors program
Rush Chair of a fraternity
Bio and Physics tutor for athletes
Youth wrestling volunteer coach
various intramurals and a couple other clubs

I would especially appreciate any opinions on my chances at UMASS as I am a MA resident and this is one of my top choices. Finally, any thoughts on if it would be a good idea for me to apply Early Decision to UMASS?

Thank You!
You can see the chances of past applicants with your GPA and various MCAT outcomes by looking at sector9's sticky at the top of this forum.

About 50 hours is the average listed for shadowing, so at least aim for that. Is there any chance you might be able to shadow an office-based primary care doc?

Clubs don't help much unless they lead to leadership or public service.

Last time I looked, UMASS took very few ED applicants, so I would not recommend you go that route unless there's been a policy change. If not accepted to their ED program, it would put your application at every other school in the "extremely late" category.

Thanks Catalystik, I've called around to shadow an office-based primary care doc, but haven't been successful so far, a good amount said they had privacy restrictions and usually don't let undergrads shadow.

I have a tentative school list that I've begun working on and I'd like to narrow it down to 20 schools. If anyone has any input on how reasonable the list is, I'd really appreciate it

-UMass
-UConn
-Boston University
-Tufts
-Albany Medical College
-Albert Einstein
-Drexel
-Emory
-Rosalind Franklin
-Jefferson Medical College
-George Washington
-Georgetown
-Loyola
-NYU
-New York Medical College
-Mt. Sinai
-Rush
-Pitt
-Maryland
-Dartmouth
-Temple
-University of Rochester
-Tulane
-Brown

Thank You

Members don't see this ad :)
School list is good, however I would take out Loyola as they like to see a lot of nonmed volunteering and undeserved population volunteering. You didn't list any so I thought I might add this.

Thanks Catalystik, I've called around to shadow an office-based primary care doc, but haven't been successful so far, a good amount said they had privacy restrictions and usually don't let undergrads shadow.
Did you ask your own doc, those of parents, or physician parents of friends? And if you've gotten to know any of the regular docs in the ER, they may be able to suggest someone and connect you.

Privacy restrictions protect the patient from intrusions they haven't consented to, but patients can and often will waive their right to privacy. This might be easier in a pediatric or family physician office.

Dude don't over analyze this. You are fine, as long as your MCAT is >30

Thanks for the input everyone.

Although I've been doing the volunteer wrestling coaching for a long period of time, I don't think it would count as assisting an underserved population.

As for shadowing a primary doc, I hadn't thought of asking the ER doctors where I volunteer, so I'll definitely give that a shot, thank you.

I just had one more question: If I end up narrowing my school list down to 20 schools, what would be a good ratio of schools at which I would be really competitive vs. reaches? 15:5?