Chances? All feedback is greatly appreciated. (Sorry!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovelyemy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is where I should post but I really wanted some guidance as to where I stand. I am currently a biology major in my senior year (but graduating summer 2015 because of extra summer classes to fulfill prereqs). I started off with a 2.5 (I worked full-time so school was difficult to manage) but I brought it up to a 2.8 by my senior year. I know that's not a competitive GPA but I might consider taking extra classes after I graduate and apply the following year.

I have been interning at an optometry office and shadowed for almost 2 years now and have obtained my paraoptometric certification and still work there. I have also shadowed the optician for a while and have a substantial knowledge of lensometry. I have done one summer research internship for Harvard public health school over the summer after my junior year. And I have interned at the museum of science as a plant/insect interpreter. I also wrote a paper on Bioinformatic Analysis of Ventral Anterior Homeobox 2 which is a gene that is tied to astigmatism for one of my informatics classes. I'm looking to find one more internship related to eye care before applying to optometry school.

I took some practice OAT exams and scored lowest 280 and highest 330. I am an awful test taker but one thing that my teachers/ supervisors have always described me as is hard working even though I don't do well on tests. I am more of a hands on learner.

I have a W (withdraw) and one F in my transcript due to medical reasons I missed a while month of school my sophomore year. I retook calculus three times to finally get a C (I never excelled at conceptual math) but I did well in physics.

Also this is random but do schools ask you to disclose disability information? I was diagnosed with dyslexia but have been working really hard to overcome it and work on techniques to improve myself.

Schools I am really interested in (I don't know if I have a chance):
MCPHS
CUNY
Western University
Illinois College

I'm really nervous but all feedback is greatly appreciated. I am trying to greatly improve and move forward.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
western you might have a shot, SUNY not so much, ICO not so much. Dont know much about MCPHS . The reality of your situation is you need to do well on the OAT. There is no really other option. Yah your extracurriculars are good but schools always look at GPA first. IF they think you wont survive the program, you wont even get an interview. You should honestly be aiming to get like a 350 or higher on the OAT cause your current academic record says you would not last in optometry. I honestly dont remember if they ask about disabilities…. Either way, study all summer and crush the OAT. Thats your best hope .

You should apply to Salus too. They may actually accept that kind of GPA but make sure to do well on the OAT

I would highly recommend taking additional classes. You might have a chance at Western just because the interview is closed meaning after you've gotten your interview invitation, they don't know your academic stats. When I had my interview at ICO I had to explain every W and a D (retook class and got an A however) on my transcript and it was nerve racking. Not sure about MCPHS, but you might have luck there to. Also, when you do decide to apply, make sure you submit your application as early as possible.