This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myPrecious!!!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first time posting, so please forgive my illiteracy in SDN posting
I just wanted to know what my chances are and any advice you guys have on my situation. I will be applying next cycle (Entering Class 2019) so I still have a year left (Room for improvement!!). And this fall I will be a senior.
I started my Freshmen year with a solid GPA with a bump in my 3rd semester but from there on it has been going pretty well (Currently at 3.75). I will be taking MCAT before school starts but right now I'm around 507 on my FLs and hoping to get up to around 515 mark.
The main issue I have is with activities section. I feel like I have nothing there and with so much competition I am quite terrified that I might not actually make it.

I have been working at HR in the communications team as a Web Assistant since my freshmen year and have been promoted once.
Since I was commuting to school every day I didn't have much time during the day. I still was able to volunteer at a church school for a total of about 40 hours in a semester. I did shadow one physician so far and plan on a couple more days with her and explore other specialties as well.
For this semester I am planning on taking a phlebotomist certificate and getting some patient interaction going on to build the skill and planning on volunteering in a clinical setting.
I have one research in Pol Sci where I was just making calls to pediatric offices and collecting info (basically surveys).
I don't have any summer internships, or publications, or presentations since I traveled most of the summer.

Any suggestions? Am I going down the right path?
Please don't think that I am making excuses, I know that I didn't plan the "right way", but does this mean I have no way of getting it back together.

Sorry if this is too much to ask in one post. I know that some people are going to ask why medicine, but I think I know why so I have passed that stage.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You should try and accumulate at least 200 clinical volunteering hours (hospital setting would be good). If your MCAT is over 500 you would be competitive for some DO schools. 508 and you are competitive for all DO schools. For MD schools it depends partly on your state of residence.

You should try and accumulate at least 200 clinical volunteering hours (hospital setting would be good). If your MCAT is over 500 you would be competitive for some DO schools. 508 and you are competitive for all DO schools. For MD schools it depends partly on your state of residence.
Hi Faha,
Thank you, that's reassuring. What are my chances for MD schools?
I am California resident and planning to apply to all UCs and some Texas schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Faha,
Thank you, that's reassuring. What are my chances for MD schools?
I am California resident and planning to apply to all UCs and some Texas schools
Texas schools have heavy in-state bias and you need to be well above average to be competitive for their public schools. It depends how your MCAT goes and if your GPA goes up more, but I don't think any TX schools should be on your list.

It's really impossible to advise you until you have a MCAT score. But in the meantime start figuring out how you are going to get your ECs to where they need to be. When do you think you might be ready to apply. You have serious work to do with ECs.
I don't know anything about Texas but I have read lots of @gyngyn's posts about CA applicants. Depending on your MCAT you probably should be looking at OOS private schools and forget about Texas. I do know they have a mandate to accept at least 90 percent IS so plan accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I see what you guys mean with regards to Texas schools. I'll definitely add that to my list and explore more DO schools as suggested earlier.

I will be applying my primary next June (6/18). So I do have time to work on ECs.
Do you guys have any recommendations on which kind? I was planning on some local clinical setting this semester around 6 hours per week. I will know my MCAT score by October but my recent FL was a 509 from NextStep.

You need non-clinical volunteering too. Something that will show your altruistic side. Service to those less fortunate than yourself is always looked upon positively. When you get your MCAT come back to this thread and let us know how you did. Good luck with the MCAT and your EC development.

You need non-clinical volunteering too. Something that will show your altruistic side. Service to those less fortunate than yourself is always looked upon positively. When you get your MCAT come back to this thread and let us know how you did. Good luck with the MCAT and your EC development.

Will do, thank you for your help