Chance of Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athequeen16

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I thought my anxiety would melt away after putting in my applications, but now I'm stressed about admissions. I put in applications to GWU and Loyola. For GWU I put in for their PsyD program and their art therapy MA program, and for Loyola, I put in for their PsyD program. Currently, I have a 3.923 (all A's with the exception of one B+), one year of clinical lab experience, 3 years experience as an on-campus job (sadly not psych-based but can be applicable to gaining skills psychologically such as customer service and confidentiality in planning), and I think I wrote some great essays. I got a letter of recommendation from my boss from the job I had for 3 years, my professor I work in a lab under and an art professor who can highlight how art transfers skills to psychology. I feel like some reason I'm behind the other students who are applying and am worrying about my chances of admission.

Does anyone have an idea of what my chance is, or any words of advice

Thank ya!

Members don't see this ad.

I put in applications to GWU and Loyola. For GWU I put in for their PsyD program and their art therapy MA program, and for Loyola, I put in for their PsyD program.
The modal doctoral applicant is probably applying to 8-14 programs, including those in a variety of geographic areas with most making significant relocations and are likely not still enrolled in their undergrad studies at time of application. Many also need to apply multiple cycles.

So if you're still in undergrad without a substantial research CV, only applying to 2 programs and geography seems to be a primary need, your chances will go down since fit is very important and your competition may also have had more time to build their CV.

Paying your own way (versus trying to get a funded offer) might alleviate some of these concerns. But you're also likely taking on a MASSIVE amount of debt that most posters on this board would not recommend, especially if the alternative is spending 1-2 postbacc years focused on research to become more competitive for funded programs. If you do get an offer for a self-pay PsyD program, please do some substantial research on the financial ramifications.

Fit is likely more important at a funded PhD than a PsyD but your 2 programs likely have more applicants than spots and some of your qualifications (strong GPA, brief intro to research) are pretty standard amongst the pool so programs are gonna look at other factors to differentiate applicants.
I feel like some reason I'm behind the other students who are applying and am worrying about my chances of admission.
One common differentiator is contributions to original research in the form of a poster presentation at a conference or coauthorship on a peer reviewed journal paper since that's very relevant to doctoral study/academia. Or extensive research lab participation.

I am not familiar with these 2 PsyDs so I wouldn't know how much they value research experience but it would never hurt your chances. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
The modal doctoral applicant is probably applying to 8-14 programs, including those in a variety of geographic areas with most making significant relocations and are likely not still enrolled in their undergrad studies at time of application. Many also need to apply multiple cycles.

So if you're still in undergrad without a substantial research CV, only applying to 2 programs and geography seems to be a primary need, your chances will go down since fit is very important and your competition may also have had more time to build their CV.

Paying your own way (versus trying to get a funded offer) might alleviate some of these concerns. But you're also likely taking on a MASSIVE amount of debt that most posters on this board would not recommend, especially if the alternative is spending 1-2 postbacc years focused on research to become more competitive for funded programs. If you do get an offer for a self-pay PsyD program, please do some substantial research on the financial ramifications.

Fit is likely more important at a funded PhD than a PsyD but your 2 programs likely have more applicants than spots and some of your qualifications (strong GPA, brief intro to research) are pretty standard amongst the pool so programs are gonna look at other factors to differentiate applicants.

One common differentiator is contributions to original research in the form of a poster presentation at a conference or coauthorship on a peer reviewed journal paper since that's very relevant to doctoral study/academia. Or extensive research lab participation.

I am not familiar with these 2 PsyDs so I wouldn't know how much they value research experience but it would never hurt your chances. Good luck!
Agreed.

This coming year GWU has over 700 applicants for 20 spots, so it is going to be tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing Summerbabe, aim for funding! If you can afford to pay your way, awesome. If not, seriously think of how you'll pay that off if you haven't already.

You are also, 100%, not behind. If anything, starting directly out of undergrad is the anomaly. I got in straight out of undergrad and, if I could go back and do it again, there would be a not insignificant part of me that would want to take a year or two and a) build experience and b) enjoy life before immediately starting graduate school. Immediate post-undergrad is an active time for weddings, trips, etc. I would be lying if I said I didn't give up some of those memories to immediately start my program (though COVID made this a little easier due to restrictions).

As the training director for the internship I interviewed at today said, "No one ever puts on their headstone that they wish they had spent more time in the office."

If you get in and it's a good fit for you financially, wonderful. If not, you are in good company with some of the best psychologists-in-training I know (the shining star of our cohort had to apply through two cycles; now has interviews with multiple top AMC for internship).

Hope this helps in some small way! Keep going!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have an idea of what my chance is, or any words of advice
You have the foundation to get into a better program with some time. Get more research experience (perhaps a coordinator job) and avoid these high-debt programs. The Baltimore/DC area has numerous high-quality, no/low-debt programs (i.e., UMBC, UMD, American, Catholic, George Mason).

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed.

This coming year GWU has over 700 applicants for 20 spots, so it is going to be tough.
Wow that is quite competitive. Do you know if that is more applicants than the program normally receives?

Wow that is quite competitive. Do you know if that is more applicants than the program normally receives?

I imagine the removal of the GRE requirement has increased applications somewhat. However, these kinds of numbers are not out of the ballpark for a doctoral program in a desirable metro. For example, I know Boston U routinely receives 5-600 applications for 7 spots in its Clinical PhD program and has for years. Solid programs even in less desirable locales usually receive at least 150-200 applicants for less than 10 spots.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, around 2X the typical volume. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm a student there now and I have heard this through the grapevine

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, around 2X the typical volume. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm a student there now and I have heard this through the grapevine
That's interesting. I wonder if some people delayed applying by a year or two to get further academic/research and clinical experience that was more difficult to attain during the pandemic. I'm not applying this cycle, but that strikes me as a possibility.

How has your experience been there so far? You like it?