chance of acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punjabiv

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello al

Members don't see this ad.

punjabiv said:
Hello all, I am a junior at a university in the states. Right now I have a 3.1 gpa but it will most likely be 3.2-3.3 by the time i will be applying to medical school. I will be sitting for my mcats in august and I have a well rounded range of extracurricular activities. I am really interested in going to either RCSI or UCD and I wanted to know what my chances of acceptance are. Thanks

HA Ha Ha!!

You won't get into med school with marks like that! Not even in Ireland. Perhaps you should consider a job driving a taxi or working at the car wash. You know, something better suited to your GPA.

blow me!
PB

i'm actually also in my university's honors program and took honors biology, chemistry, and physics instead of the regular ones. I think that should help my chance, but I would love your feedback. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
punjabiv said:
i'm actually also in my university's honors program and took honors biology, chemistry, and physics instead of the regular ones. I think that should help my chance, but I would love your feedback. Thanks.

Feedback... well I would love to give you feedback. It's such a welcome break from trolling...

Honours!!!! Holy crap. Send me your address so I can mail you some Hero Biscuits!!!! I am so sorry to have insulted your intelligence sir! You are not suited to a job at the car wash. In fact, I think you will make an excellent shoe shine boy!

Actually, the acid test for your intelligence is whether or not you choose to attend the RCSI. If you willingly and knowingly hand over half a million dollars to some known thieves, you are a true F*CKING idiot.

Prove yourself a genius and stay in north america

PB out!

Wow, I would never imagine this happening in a student "doctor" network....Crazy people out there....

Sorry punjabiv about these people who have absolutely too much time in their hands.....I really don't know but I still think you have great chances ...

Good luck! :thumbup:

thanks v-man

and eh, there are jackasses everywhere lol

also, so i've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum and it seems like UCD, Trinity, and UCC are better choices than RCSI.

Anyways, I would still like to know from those of you that have been accepted if you have any advice on getting accepted.

Thanks guys

Hey Punjabiv, Don't listen to the negative non-constructive feedback some like to give....they've probably been consectutively rejected from medicine for a decade now. Anyway, about you getting into Ireland; I would have to start by saying if you're dedicated to the study of medicine then you can get your GPA up. A semester of top marks will no doubt help you. Is your 3.1 out of 4.0?? Also, if you work really hard this summer and ace your MCATs there's one more thing on your side. Just watch out; the MCATs are not so much about prior-knowledge, they are for the most part about your ability to extract facts from a short text and use these facts to make sound conclusions in the SHORTEST amount of time. So practice as many full run-throughs as you can....at least full sections. Applying to Irish medical schools through the AP program also entails writing a letter. In this letter you can explain any reasons why your marks may not reflect your true abilities (and also draw attention to your amazing MCAT score). Are you taking a class for your MCATs? I took The Princeton Review and i was really happy with it...lots of practice material and organized run-throughs....i also bought some tests online from the aamc. In the end its allllll worth it.

thanks, i appreciate the advice. I really just did poorly my first year and a half. I have made dean's list (3.5 or above) the past two semesters and hopefully will again before I apply. Plus, I missed my midterm exam in Organic Chem so I got an F for the class, which brought my GPA down about .6 . I am retaking it this semester and should get an A or A-.

I am in an MCAT prep course right now, so hopefully come august I will be really prepared.

Well, it sounds like you're on the right track. In general we tell people that applicants to Irish schools should have decent enough qualifications to apply for US med school. Good luck on the MCAT. GPA just slightly on the low side but nothing really to worry about, especially as you're taking good steps to bring it up. It's hard for us to say though because application success for the Irish schools doesn't really seem to have a tight formula attached to it.