This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryleigh Aime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Based on the following, what are my chances looking like for Top 20 Schools MD/PHD as well as MD programs (I know not to apply to both at the same time and I won't):

cumulative GPA: 3.76
science GPA: 3.55
MCAT: 517
African-American female
State of residence: NYC *woot*woot*
Plethora of extracurricular and leadership stuff that would take way too long to list here.
2 years of research: 8 posters, 1 first-author publication, many conferences attended
170 Hours Hospital Volunteering
50 Shaddowing Hours
Letters of Rec from very accomplished people
Killer personal statement

Be brutally honest here!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know anything about md/phd programs, but your chances of getting into a regular MD are 100%. Apply to a bunch of top 20s and your state schools

Reactions: 1 users
I think your looking really well for MD and MD/PhD schools. The one thing I would say your missing is non clinical volunteering. The typical number aimed for is 150 hours but try to get as much as you can

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your looking really well for MD and MD/PhD schools. The one thing I would say your missing is non clinical volunteering. The typical number aimed for is 150 hours but try to get as much as you can

Maybe one of her other extra curriculars involves non clinical volunteering.

But yeah I think you'll be golden for any MD program. I have no idea about MD/PhD though. You have a lot for strong research though so probably good for that too.

100% all i needed to see was URM and 517

Reactions: 1 users
But in all seriousness, you definitely deserve multiple MD acceptances. URM or not, your stats are super good and something to be proud of.

Reactions: 2 users
What do you mean by “I know not to apply to both at the same time and I won't”? You’re going to have to apply at the same time or it will be two cycles...?

Your GPA is fine, MCAT is great, your research productivity is absolutely incredible (just from UG?), apply to 15-20 schools you would actually want to attend and go to the one that gives you full COA scholarship.

If you really want MD/PhD you should figure that out before you apply. FYI many MSTP schools will automatically roll you back into consideration for MD only if the MD/PhD doesn't pan out for that particular school.

What do you mean by “I know not to apply to both at the same time and I won't”? You’re going to have to apply at the same time or it will be two cycles...?

My intention is to apply MD/Phd only but I wanted to know if I wasn’t a strong applicant for that, if I would be strong enough for an MD where I can apply internally for the MD/Phd program.

My intention is to apply MD/Phd only but I wanted to know if I wasn’t a strong applicant for that, if I would be strong enough for an MD where I can apply internally for the MD/Phd program.
You should be fine for MDPHD but always apply wide. I would say your sGPA is on the low side but the URM status would circumvent that.