Chance me for University of Miami's BS/MD Program :)

Pandapurse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys :) I posted this thread in the chances forum in Pre- Allopathic, and I thought it would be better if I posted it here.
I live in Tampa, Florida, and I'm a Junior at a public school.

GPA: 3.9 UW, 5.4 W Top 4%, 19/523

Scores: SAT Biology-720
SAT World History- 750
SAT Math Level 2- 620
SAT Reasoning- 1410 (Math & Critical Reading), 2040 (All sections)
ACT- 33

ECs: Orchestra- Violin, 4 years (President, Section Leader, Student Conductor) Won numerous district and state level awards
National Honor Society, 3 years
National Society of High School Scholars, 2 years
National Beta Club, 2 years
Mu Alpha Theta, 2 years
Young Democrats, 4 years
Science Club, 3 years (President)
Track and Field, 1 year

Volunteering: Hospital (Cardiac Unit) and Pharmacy for over 100 hours Cancer Research- 48 hours
Zoo- 200 hours

AP Classes: AP World History-4
AP United States History
AP English Language
AP Microeconomics
AP English Lit

Senior Year APs: AP Bio
AP Chem
AP Psych
AP Calculus AB
AP US Government
AP Comperative Govt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:eek:

Ummm...you have a VERY high chance of making it in. Just wondering, though, did the research lead to any presentations or awards?

No, but I'm going to do research at the hospital again, and hopefully I'll win some awards ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say you have a reasonable chance, obviously no one can know for sure until you've applied. Your academics look strong so far.

Your standardized test scores, SAT I and ACT if you take it, would have to be on par with your GPA and class rank. Additionally you'll have to come across as mature and well informed about the career decision you're making in the interview and essays you write.

Keep up your ECs, especially anything that gets you exposure to medicine. You want to demonstrate that you're making an informed decision and that you know what you're getting yourself into.

Hey guys :) I posted this thread in the chances forum in Pre- Allopathic, and I thought it would be better if I posted it here.
I live in Tampa, Florida, and I'm a Junior at a public school.

GPA: 3.9 UW, 5.4 W Top 4%, 22/523

Scores: SAT Biology-720
SAT World History- 750
SAT Math Level 2- Taking in June 2009
SAT Reasoning- Taking in March 2009
ACT- Taking in March 2009

ECs: Orchestra- Violin, 4 years (President, Section Leader, Student Conductor) Won numerous district and state level awards
National Honor Society, 3 years
National Society of High School Scholars, 2 years
National Beta Club, 2 years
Mu Alpha Theta, 2 years
Young Democrats, 4 years
Science Club, 3 years (President)
Track and Field, 1 year

Volunteering: Hospital (Cardiac Unit) and Pharmacy for over 100 hours Cancer Research- 48 hours
Zoo- 200 hours

AP Classes: AP World History-4
AP United States History
AP English Language
AP Microeconomics
AP English Lit

Senior Year APs: AP Bio
AP Chem
AP Psych
AP Calculus AB
AP US Government
AP Comperative Govt

Your status looks very bright in the future. :)

Just wondering, what research have you done in high school? What kind of project you are doing ?

Thanks !

I did research in an Hematology/Oncology lab. I worked with the lab assistants, doing Western Dot Blots, Gel electrophoresis, and working with recombinant DNA. We are trying to hopefully create a cancer vaccine (specifically for Leukemia and Lymphoma) for people. We used DNA from dogs that had cancer. I can't wait to do it again this summer :)

I did research in an Hematology/Oncology lab. I worked with the lab assistants, doing Western Dot Blots, Gel electrophoresis, and working with recombinant DNA. We are trying to hopefully create a cancer vaccine (specifically for Leukemia and Lymphoma) for people. We used DNA from dogs that had cancer. I can't wait to do it again this summer :)

That's really amazing. I'm sure you will become a good doctor one day.

Godd luck !

redacted

Last edited:
My weighted GPA is a 5.4. At our school, .08 points are added to the GPA each semester for AP classes and .04 for honors classes. :)

Dude, that sounds like soo much fun.

have a combined SAT score of 1400 (combined Math and Critical Reading scores) or an ACT score of 32 and an unweighted GPA of 3.75

rank in the top 5 percent of their high school graduating class

meet the SAT Subject Test score requirement of at least 600 in Math, and one science (Biology, Chemistry or Physics)

have completed eight semesters of English and mathematics and two semesters each of biology and chemistry by the time they graduate from high school.

complete the regular two-part Application for Admission to the University of Miami. We strongly recommend students submit their applications for general admission by November 1st of their senior year in high school.

complete a supplemental application form for the Honors Program in Medicine

It looks like you have met most of the requirements. Just study hard for your ACT and Math SAT and you should be accepted.

Good luck! Also might be a good idea to apply to multiple schools.

My weighted GPA is a 5.4. At our school, .08 points are added to the GPA each semester for AP classes and .04 for honors classes. :)

Before I go to bed, I thought your research experiences are really fantastic again. As a high school student doing such a research is very rare. I couldn't stop wondering about you, how did you get the opportunity ? Did your teacher tell you about that ?

Thanks for sharing Pandapurse if you would not mind. I appreciate your time.

Before I go to bed, I thought your research experiences are really fantastic again. As a high school student doing such a research is very rare. I couldn't stop wondering about you, how did you get the opportunity ? Did your teacher tell you about that ?

Thanks for sharing Pandapurse if you would not mind. I appreciate your time.
Thanks for asking tennisball80. :) My doctor told me about the research program during my checkup actually. His son had done it a couple of years ago and he thought it would be a good idea for me too. A week later I met with the research director for an orientation. I'm also sure you can ask your science teacher for research opportunities, too. A couple of my friends did research because the chemistry teacher told them about it. Hope this helps ;)

Thanks for asking tennisball80. :) My doctor told me about the research program during my checkup actually. His son had done it a couple of years ago and he thought it would be a good idea for me too. A week later I met with the research director for an orientation. I'm also sure you can ask your science teacher for research opportunities, too. A couple of my friends did research because the chemistry teacher told them about it. Hope this helps ;)

thanks_graphics_10.gif

I'm REALLY sorry about this bump, but I just wanted to add my test scores.

i would say you will definitely get an interview, but once the interviews start they pretty much throw out your stats and go based on your interview

(i interviewed and was accepted and the 2 people who interviewed with me both had over a 1500 and were not)

if you have any questions about the program or the process message me

Are you speaking specifically for Miami, or are you trying to generalize to BS/MD or med school programs in general? If it's the latter, I can assure you that sentiment is not correct for most schools. Your stats and other credentials most certainly will matter even after the interview.

I agree with a lot of these posts and think you have a great shot (at least an interview... at least :)).

yeah the interview is important but obviously your stats and whatnot will also play a major role both during the interview and post-interview. i was accepted to northwestern HPME and my entire interview revolved around my application essentially.