Chance me and need a list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theA1doctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, So I am TX resident set to apply Early JUNE, MCAT is in 7 weeks and I think I will pull off a 30 + on MCAT ( based on my practice test scores). I am a biochem major and I have one more year after this year. U of H undergrad Here are my creds

AMCAS GPA - 3.845 (3.801 science)
TMDSAS GPA - 3.88 (3.812 science)

Grades are such

Bio 1/Bio 2 - High School AP credit.
Chem 1/Chem 2 - A/B
Orgo 1/ Orgo 2 - A/A
Phys 1/ Phys 2 - (w, then C+)/A
Genetics- A
Calculus 1 - W, then A
Calculus 2- A
Calculus 3- A
Stats - A
Cell Biochemistry- A
Biochem 1- A
Biochem 2 - A

All labs sections with corresponding lectures are also A's except Chem 1 which is a B

my non science GPA is all A's as well

shadowing 120 hrs- (75 cardiologist, 45 general physician)
Hospital Volunteer- Summer 2010- October 2010 then January 2011- December 2011- I havent kept count of hours
Calculus 1 Lab instructor- 3 semesters
Organic chemistry T.A - 1 semester
Genetics T.A - 1 semester
Volunteer Chem tutor - 5 semesters
Resident Assistant - 4 Semesters
No Research

My main concern is having 0 research compared to SDN posters with 8 million publications and my phys 1 grade.. I also wanted a recommendation of school and where to apply and where to not apply.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can retake Physics 1 over the summer and get a higher grade do so, but otherwise, you can apply to all Texas schools and have a reasonable chance of getting in. However, some research-intensive schools may be harder to get into.

If you can retake Physics 1 over the summer and get a higher grade do so, but otherwise, you can apply to all Texas schools and have a reasonable chance of getting in. However, some research-intensive schools may be harder to get into.

I know I can do well is phys 1, now atleast but is it worth it taking it a 3rd time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I can do well is phys 1, now atleast but is it worth it taking it a 3rd time?

Don't bother. It won't affect your GPA, and of course you can do well if you've seen most of the material twice. You have a good chance at non-research-focused schools if you get a good MCAT score.

Also any schools I should specifically apply? And what about OOS schools

And no research is a really big deal?
UTSW and Baylor are considered to be research-oriented, but even thay have been know to accept those without it when excellence in another field of endeavor is apparent. In general, though, 73% of those accepted did list research as an activity.

Also any schools I should specifically apply? And what about OOS schools
This can be better answered when you have a solid MCAT score.