Chance for Ortho for Prior Military General Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

human_raisedbyhumans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to finish my 3-year HSCP payback with the Navy as a general dentist and applying to ortho this or next cycle (still deciding...) I am lucky in that I have access to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, so public programs would be covered. Private programs would be covered up to ~25k per year, and some participate in Yellow Ribbon to further offset tuition/fees.

my questions are:
1.) Should I take GRE soon and apply this cycle? or take another year to work as a GP while getting some more research/ortho experience and apply next cycle? While I'm fairly confident I could get in somewhere by applying this cycle, I would like to ensure I am a very competitive applicant to maximize my chances at a 24 month program or one that is cheap (or pays their residents).

2.) How important are Letters of Rec for an applicant who has been working as a GP for 3 years? I can round up letters between some dental school faculty and my supervisor in the Navy, but likely wouldn't have one from an actual orthodontist.

3.) Can I just take GRE? Or would it be better to take ADAT?

4.) Any programs that look highly upon military experience? Or experience as a GP in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t take the ADAT unless it’s specifically mentioned as a requirement for a school you’re applying to. As for LORs, I would definitely try to get at least one from an orthodontist. That may mean you’ve got to do some shadowing.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Your CV should clearly demonstrate an interest in ortho. What ortho CE have you completed? Have you given any presentations or produced a table clinic presentation? What ortho experience do you have as a GP?

I applied to a different specialty and found that all programs looked upon my military experience very favorably. You will still need to demonstrate a passion for ortho and you may even be asked to discuss cases you've treated. The Navy offers an excellent post grad ortho correspondence course and at least one annual CE course that you can attend in person.

Reactions: 1 user