Champagne taps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venko

True to self
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a resident who did a great job and had zero red cells on their LP the other day. I want to reward their efforts but its been a long time since i thought about this. What rewards are people giving or receiving for these now? Still champagne? If so what brand etc? Else what other gift ideas are there?

Thanks in advance for the ideas,
venko

Members don't see this ad.

I know at my program they only run the 4th tube so there is no way to know of its a champagne tap or not... Still think champagne would be a good present though

Champagne of beers ftw.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
23745541.jpg

It's good but not Dom. Alternatively, ask them if they would like something else, as some people don't like champagne.

I have a resident who did a great job and had zero red cells on their LP the other day. I want to reward their efforts but its been a long time since i thought about this. What rewards are people giving or receiving for these now? Still champagne? If so what brand etc? Else what other gift ideas are there?

Side question... I work with people who only give a bottle for a resident's first champagne tap, others give it every time. The second option seems a lot more costly in the long run. Any protocol on this?

Thanks in advance for the ideas,
venko
VENKo - was it a sono guided LP? :)
Here in WDC, they are still doing champagne, but I cant remember what brand

Reactions: 1 user
Where I trained (pre-IRB/pre-ethics committees) if you have a champagne tap they made the medical students and interns take a swig of the CSF to show your solidarity that it was sterile. Same with UA's and diabetes.

Lol. Jk

Had one the other night that the off-service resident struggled with (her previous n was 2)--used ultrasound pre-procedure for education purposes but it was probably the most ideal LP patient I could imagine

Had one the other night that the off-service resident struggled with (her previous n was 2)--used ultrasound pre-procedure for education purposes but it was probably the most ideal LP patient I could imagine
More ideal that LP with fluoro?

hmmmm...

based on this thread, someone out there owes me une boutteile de champagne.

Members don't see this ad :)
i always reward with a bottle of champagne, no matter how many times resident has had it in past. not an expensive bottle -- more symbolic. i had an attending who kept track of every resident who ever had one with him, and every 10th time, whoever that resident was, got a bottle of Dom

i always reward with a bottle of champagne, no matter how many times resident has had it in past. not an expensive bottle -- more symbolic. i had an attending who kept track of every resident who ever had one with him, and every 10th time, whoever that resident was, got a bottle of Dom
I like this idea! If a resident gets ten in the course if residency they've earned it:)

vanc, is that you??
I didn't buy anything high end. it was only $12/bottle. brut, barefoot....something like that? the bottle said it was some kind of 2011 winner......prob for the cheapest non screw top champagne!

Yup, it's me.

I decided I am not clever at making usernames and avatars and I never said anything I couldn't associate with myself so I put my actual pic up and my actual first name (close at least).

FWIW that Veuve Clicquot is $42 at your local Costco. Mmm Mm.

What if you are the 3rd year resident helping a training PA do a tap while the attending is standing in the corner playing on his iphone? Who buys the champagne for the PA that just got their first champagne tap... I still make fun of him to this day because he still takes credit for teaching him!

What if you are the 3rd year resident helping a training PA do a tap while the attending is standing in the corner playing on his iphone? Who buys the champagne for the PA that just got their first champagne tap... I still make fun of him to this day because he still takes credit for teaching him!

I don't think the champagne is a prize for the teacher as much as an award for the proceduralist.

I'm confident you would be safe to buy the champagne if you insisted:)

The 0 WBC, 0 RBC tap has less to do with technique as it does with chance and whether you happen to go through an epidural vein or subcu vein, both of which can happen with a perfectly done, single pass LP. Also, a few cells are normal in CSF, which you'll also see in a perfectly done LP. Either way, have fun with the champagne thing, but don't think your taps need to be 0,0 or that the number of cells is a measure of you skill, necessarily.

The 0 WBC, 0 RBC tap has less to do with technique as it does with chance and whether you happen to go through an epidural vein or subcu vein, both of which can happen with a perfectly done, single pass LP. Also, a few cells are normal in CSF, which you'll also see in a perfectly done LP. Either way, have fun with the champagne thing, but don't think your taps need to be 0,0 or that the number of cells is a measure of you skill, necessarily.

I realize you have a few years on me on this so correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a champagne tap refers only to the red cells. Certainly I agree with the point you are making that after the basic technique is understood it is luck in reference to the red cell count.

I did end up buying the vueve.

Yeah, I was always taught that it was 0 red cells for a champagne tap.

Yup, it's me.

I decided I am not clever at making usernames and avatars and I never said anything I couldn't associate with myself so I put my actual pic up and my actual first name (close at least).
I thought you're name's familiar, guess i completely spelled it wrong. it's ray from the teaching fellowship