Chaces of getting into AA program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abtazz12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to hear from current AA students or prospects to see if I stand any chance of getting into an AA program.

B.S. Integrative Biology w/ Chemistry minor - 2016 (cGPA 3.63)
MCAT: 498 (2nd) 493 (1st) (planning to take GRE soon and use it instead)
16 shadowing hours with two different anesthesiologists (pplanning to shadow more hours).
2000+ hours clinical experience as Medical Assistant in oncology (recommended by supervisor and RNs for DO school)

Ip0 was first a pre-med student, but after applying 3 times, I did
some soul-searching and decided that I just wanted to practice medicine, regardless of title. Anesthesiology is a field I always considered to specialize in had I been given the chance to go to medical school, mainly for its palliative applications and for being a challenging day-to-day application of perioperative medical care. After both shadowing and finding more about the anesthesiology assistant career, I can see myself doing this and enjoying it to the fullest. I'd have to take some pre-reqs needed for the schools I have in mind and ace the GRE, but that aside...do I stand a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

For medical school, your MCAT and GPA would put you at a 1 in 4 chance at getting in. My guess is that you stand an excellent chance of getting into AA school with those numbers given the fact that there is less competition for AA programs due to the restrictions inherent to the profession by virtue of the limited practice environment. I wouldn’t even bother subjecting myself to the GRE unless it is specifically required instead of the MCAT. I’d suggest you roll the dice with what you have on hand.

hi! I'm actually on my third cycle of applying to med schools as well and I was thinking of applying to AA schools too for this cycle in case it doesn't work out -- did you end up applying or hearing back? I'd love to hear any updates you have!

cGPA - 3.38, sGPA - 3.42
SMP GPA - 3.26
MCAT -- 500

I'm working on getting more direct AA shadowing hours as well :) thanks!