MD & DO ~~cGPA: 3.74. MCAT 28~~ What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uaFM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys I am applying this spring and I would like to know what my chances are for MD and DO

GPA: 3.74 (I can slightly improve it at the end of this semester possibly)
MCAT : 28 (9v/10p/9b) I had also taken MCAT last year and got a 25 with 10 from bio :(
Experience:
40h volunteering in the E.R
84h internship at the university health center + 84 more hours next fall semester so approximately 170h
80h shadowing a physician in a foreign country (thought this might be interesting)
60h volunteering with kids with special needs
40h independent study (dissecting cadavers)

Male, Caucasian,
I speak 3 languages fluently (en, fr, tr)
I was born and raised in a foreign country but I am a permanent resident in the U.S

I am wondering if I should even bother applying to MD schools or should I only go for DO? I am considering pediatrics and neuro as possible residencies.

I also have a question. I know that many DO schools require a LOR from a MD or a DO. Would the physician that I shadowed overseas cover MD/DO LOR? I mean even though she did not go to school in the US, shes a doctor.

Thanks. :)

For DO you should be fine. That letter is good but try and get a DO letter if you can. LECOM requires a DO letter. PEDs and neuro is very attainable as a DO so no worries there. I would try to just make up a good list of DO schools. Try 7 or so. Also for MD depending on your state you could have a shot but its not great. I applied DO only as i was interested in osteopathic medicine so im not overly familiar with MD admissions. The wise @gyngyn could help you. But either way both roads lead to Rome so good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
State of residence?
Is the internship clinical?
Experience with US physicians?
Sorry
State is California
Yes the internship is clinical. We room patients, take their vitals and screen them. Also we ocasionally shadow nps and physcians.
I volunteered in the ER in a hospital. However I dont have personal shadowing experience.

Last edited:
Sorry
State is California
Yes the internship is clinical. We room patients, take their vitals and screen them. Also we ocasionally shadow nps and physcians.
I volunteered in the ER in a hospital. However I dont have personal shadowing experience.

There are a few OOS MD schools that have taken exceptional CA students with your stats. Your experience is barely enough to submit an application, though.
A DO application will bear more fruit.

There are a few OOS MD schools that have taken exceptional CA students with your stats. Your experience is barely enough to submit an application, though.

Awesome thanks for your comments. Would it be too much if I asked you to name a few schools that I might have a chance?

Thank you.

For DO you should be fine. That letter is good but try and get a DO letter if you can. LECOM requires a DO letter. PEDs and neuro is very attainable as a DO so no worries there. I would try to just make up a good list of DO schools. Try 7 or so. Also for MD depending on your state you could have a shot but its not great. I applied DO only as i was interested in osteopathic medicine so im not overly familiar with MD admissions. The wise @gyngyn could help you. But either way both roads lead to Rome so good luck!
Thanks for your answer. Could you recommend me a few DO schools that I should apply?

Thank you.

Awesome thanks for your comments. Would it be too much if I asked you to name a few schools that I might have a chance?

Thank you.
I saw someone get into the MCW two years ago with a 28 MCAT, but it was on a single take and she had excellent research experience.

I saw someone get into the MCW two years ago with a 28 MCAT, but it was on a single take and she had excellent research experience.
Thanks a lot. I am finishing my undergrad in WI so I might even have a better chance for MCW hopefully :).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your answer. Could you recommend me a few DO schools that I should apply?

Thank you.

Depends on the area you want to be in and your in state school! If I was to use Wisconsin as a reference point I would recommend these schools to look into:

Chicago college of osteopathic medicine
Marian university COM
Des Moines university COM
Kansas city university of biomedical sciences COM
Philadelphia college of osteopathic medicine
Nova southeastern university COM
Kirksville college of osteopathic medicine
Rocky vista university COM
University of new england college of osteopathic medicine

There could be others you might want to add also depending on where you want to be. That's a good starting point in my opinion.

I know a person who got into MCV with a 28 also. They had research though...what kind, not sure, they never really talked about it but my impression though was it was not that interesting.

What language is "tr?"

I know a person who got into MCV with a 28 also. They had research though...what kind, not sure, they never really talked about it but my impression though was it was not that interesting.

What language is "tr?"
Tr is turkish.

I will apply to mcw for sure then!

Any other advice for schools? I would really appreciate if someone could make a little list of MD schools that i should apply.

Tr is turkish.

I will apply to mcw for sure then!

Any other advice for schools? I would really appreciate if someone could make a little list of MD schools that i should apply.

The MSAR will have all the stats on metrics and OOS acceptance you will need.

Members don't see this ad :)
For DO you should also consider VCOM

Reactions: 1 user
@Omppu27 is @uaslankara from VA, GA, or AL (where the VCOM campuses are located)? I forgot to mention though my friend who got into MCV was an in state student. Luckily for you, VA schools accept about 50/50 instate outta state for MD schools. Youll still face much stiff competiton since there are much more OS applicants than IS for obvious reasons.

MD schools that would be worth considering with your stats include Quinnipiac, Albany, New York Medical College, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA), Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, St. Louis, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Creighton. There may also be another 2 or 3 private MD schools opening in 2016 so apply to any of those.

The ECs need to be bulked up. You've done mor elike what's convenient, not what's necessary. A 28 is circling the drain for MD schools.

He has over 250 hours of volunteering. Doesn't the average admitted MD applicant have like 150?

The ECs need to be bulked up. You've done mor elike what's convenient, not what's necessary. A 28 is circling the drain for MD schools.
so do you think that I shouldnt even bother applying to MD schools?
MD schools that would be worth considering with your stats include Quinnipiac, Albany, New York Medical College, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Commonwealth (PA), Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, St. Louis, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Creighton. There may also be another 2 or 3 private MD schools opening in 2016 so apply to any of those.
Thanks for the list. I am also thinking of adding Marshall and Missouri (KC) to this list, is that a good idea?

Thanks for the list. I am also thinking of adding Marshall and Missouri (KC) to this list, is that a good idea?

I think Mizzu has a heavy instead bias? Can't comment on Marshall. I also think St. Louis and Loyola might be a waste of time/money. Their averages are probably a little too high.

He has over 250 hours of volunteering. Doesn't the average admitted MD applicant have like 150?

He has 40 hours of clinical volunteering in the ER. Assuming he's at 2-3 hours a week and it's continuous, that's only 4-5 months. His other clinical experience is an internship which i'm assuming is paid? Not saying paid experience is bad, but this leaves him with only 40 total hours of clinical volunteering experience. His other 60 hours are a community service EC. Non-medical volunteering is a great thing, but again, 2-3 hr/week means this is only for around 6 months, give or take. Basically no research. His shadowing wasn't in the US. His first MCAT was a 25 and his second was a 28. Now that I really think about it, I'm not sure what MD school he could be even remotely competitive at, with the exception of a state school with very heavy IS bias (Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.), but OP is from Cali so that doesn't really matter.

@Omppu27 is @uaslankara from VA, GA, or AL (where the VCOM campuses are located)? I forgot to mention though my friend who got into MCV was an in state student. Luckily for you, VA schools accept about 50/50 instate outta state for MD schools. Youll still face much stiff competiton since there are much more OS applicants than IS for obvious reasons.

I meant the VA campus. To be honest, I always thought VCOM was referring to their VA campus... There's no IS bias there though.

I got accepted into an MD program after scoring 27/24 on MCAT (two separate times) and with 3.74 GPA. DO NOT LET STATS FOOL YOU.... if you badly wish to apply into MD, go for it. Your chances are slim and you may only get one interview (as what happened to me) but you just need one. When applying - be smart: see if you know other students enrolled into your applicant schools and ask them to write a letter on your behalf. Do something unique/special with your free time and be sure to let your schools know how badly you wish to be a part. Good luck.

He has 40 hours of clinical volunteering in the ER. Assuming he's at 2-3 hours a week and it's continuous, that's only 4-5 months. His other clinical experience is an internship which i'm assuming is paid? Not saying paid experience is bad, but this leaves him with only 40 total hours of clinical volunteering experience. His other 60 hours are a community service EC. Non-medical volunteering is a great thing, but again, 2-3 hr/week means this is only for around 6 months, give or take. Basically no research. His shadowing wasn't in the US. His first MCAT was a 25 and his second was a 28. Now that I really think about it, I'm not sure what MD school he could be even remotely competitive at, with the exception of a state school with very heavy IS bias (Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.), but OP is from Cali so that doesn't really matter.
My internship is not paid. I didnt know that being paid or unpaid would make a difference.

Last edited:
I got accepted into an MD program after scoring 27/24 on MCAT (two separate times) and with 3.74 GPA. DO NOT LET STATS FOOL YOU.... if you badly wish to apply into MD, go for it. Your chances are slim and you may only get one interview (as what happened to me) but you just need one. When applying - be smart: see if you know other students enrolled into your applicant schools and ask them to write a letter on your behalf. Do something unique/special with your free time and be sure to let your schools know how badly you wish to be a part. Good luck.
Wow thats awesome. Could you please list the schools that you applied please?

I'm sure you also had some great ECs, a unique story, or it was a IS school with heavy IS bias. All of which, according OP's post, OP doesn't have. Even then, your story is certainly an exception to the rule. Just take a look at MSAR, the numbers don't lie.

My internship is not paid. I didnt know that being paid or unpaid would make a difference.

When it's volunteering, people view it as more altruistic. That doesn't make paid experiences bad though. My most meaningful activity on my application was my EMT work and it was paid. But i did have clinical and non-clinical volunteer work as well.

I'm sure you also had some great ECs, a unique story, or it was a IS school with heavy IS bias. All of which, according OP's post, OP doesn't have. Even then, your story is certainly an exception to the rule. Just take a look at MSAR, the numbers don't lie.

When it's volunteering, people view it as more altruistic. That doesn't make paid experiences bad though. My most meaningful activity on my application was my EMT work and it was paid. But i did have clinical and non-clinical volunteer work as well.
Oh I see what you are saying. I thought shadowing in a foreign country would look very interesting on my application so I was really excited about it, but I guess it is not that big of a deal :(. Do you think volunteering in the E.R for another 30-40h would make a difference?

Last edited:
Oh I see what you are saying. I thought shadowing in a foreign country would look very interesting on my application so I was really excited about it, but I guess it is not that big of a deal :(. Do you think volunteering in the E.R for another 30-40h would make a difference?

I'm sure it was a very interesting experience, and perhaps will be a topic of conversation during interviews. But you're going to be practicing medicine in the US. I would try to get shadowing experience with doctors in the states as well.

I think an additional 30-40 hours would help, but I wouldn't consider it a "game changer." If you want to apply this cycle, go ahead. You should just seriously consider your odds at an acceptance and decide whether or not it's worth the time and money right now. If you get rejected/wait until next year to apply, make sure you continue to build your resume during the next year so that your application is much stronger. A years worth or volunteering, shadowing, and perhaps some research if you like will make a substantial difference on your application.

Wow thats awesome. Could you please list the schools that you applied please?

I applied to 22 med schools that included schools with a large catchment area of applicants (think G.W., Georgetown, Drexel, Temple... private schools that may not have a bias for in-state applicants). It has gotten way more competitive since I applied a couple years ago but again, everyone kept telling me "don't apply, don't apply.." As Omppu27 said, your chances are SLIM that you will get offered an interview. But I disagree with Omppu27 that you "don't have a great story," : you do, if you sell it right.

For example - international experience? Did you really get to learn about another health care system? Link that to health policy if it's something you're genuinely interested in.. Or your University Health System experience - did you get anyone to write you a letter from that system? Were you able to shadow under any physicians that are part of the admissions/school committee? Just take my advice for what it's worth and as one person in the universe, but if you ask me, you can still go for it with the proper guidance and (faculty) mentor(s).

You're in striking distance for these, but your ECs need to be vastly better.
TCMC
Quinnipiac
all other new MD schools except Va Tech and Hofstra
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Drexel
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Wake Forest
Rush
ANY DO school

No.
Thanks for the list. I am also thinking of adding Marshall and Missouri (KC) to this list, is that a good idea?[/QUOTE]

I meant the VA campus. To be honest, I always thought VCOM was referring to their VA campus... There's no IS bias there though.
regional bias though (at least for VA campus).

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I think I will try to volunteer for another 30h, and apply broadly to both MD and DO.

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I think I will try to volunteer for another 30h, and apply broadly to both MD and DO.

And make sure you continue your ECs in case you need to reapply.