MD cGPA 3.70 sGPA 3.62, MCAT 516, non-URM, Non-Trad AZ Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haagendiaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently got my MCAT back (CP128,CAR131,BS127,PsS130) and I am hoping for some overall tips as my school list is pretty long (around 60 on MSAR). I did better than I expected so I am happily overwhelmed, but I want to get my application out ASAP.
Quick story: 1st gen American (Czech family so still white, dad researches for Mayo), graduated BS Biochem, decent EC's including EMT after graduating (ambulance and clinical volunteering at homeless inpatient clinic). No publications due to Murphy's law but did do a decent amount of lab work.
Open to specialty so I'd like to go somewhere with options that doesn't 100% home in on internist/family.
I'm shooting for ~20 schools. Should most be around 510 range? What constitutes a "safety school" for me?
For sure schools so far:
AZ Phx
AZ Tuc
Mayo AZ
UCLA Geffen
Mayo Roch

Many thanks. Let me know if I missed anything since I haven't posted on here much!

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at any of these schools with your stats:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton (they have a AZ track for 3rd and 4th year)
Tulane

Reactions: 1 users
You could receive interviews at any of these schools with your stats:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton (they have a AZ track for 3rd and 4th year)
Tulane

Thanks for your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any comments on the following list? Trying to cut a few more out!

Creighton
Georgetown
Temple
Loyola Stritch
MCW
NYMC
Penn
Sidney Kimmel
New York Upstate
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Geffen - why is there no data on MSAR?
U of Co
Michigan
U of MN
Chapel Hill
Rochester
UWash

Pretty sure NY Upstate, Davis, Irvine, Minnesota, North Carolina take very few OOS, and you need to be from a WWAMI state for U Washington.

Are you looking at the MSAR? You are obviously not looking at the matriculating column.

I know UCLA is in the process of updating their requirements, so that may be the reason for it not currently being listed.

UWash accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. SUNY Upstate accepted only 7 non residents 2 years ago. UC Davis and UC Irvine accepted only 7 non residents total for both schools. UNC and U Minnesota accept few non residents with no connections to the state. Look at the MSAR for the number of non residents accepted and remember that many of the non residents accepted have connections to the state.

I can't remember the last time UCD matriculated someone who was actually OOS. There is the occasional candidate whose residency had changed recently, but they attended high school in CA and lived here most of their life.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys are awesome. I'll be more careful on the MSAR. Thank you and +1's to all

UWash accepts less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. SUNY Upstate accepted only 7 non residents 2 years ago. UC Davis and UC Irvine accepted only 7 non residents total for both schools. UNC and U Minnesota accept few non residents with no connections to the state. Look at the MSAR for the number of non residents accepted and remember that many of the non residents accepted have connections to the state.
I am Minnesota born and raised, lived there 14 years. Worth anything?