DO cGPA 3.34, sGPA 3.05, US army 'projected' Veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

68quebec

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I'm in the middle of big decision between DO or PharmD. I've been serving US army as a pharmacy Tech for more than 4 years and about to have honorable discharge.

Getting Bachelor Degree in December 2013

cGPA: 3.34
sGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 27 (may or may not retake later but I want to know the chance as now)
Shadowing: DO & MD about 100 hours
Leadership: Executive Leader at Christian Club in CC, Leader of small group in Church (for 4 years)
Senior Tech of pharmacy tech soldiers for 3 years, Senior leader of army physical training for 2 years
Volunteer: 500 hours as Red Cross volunteer at army hospital
LOR: Way more than average..they want me to succeed
Awards: More than 10 military awards and ribbons + certificate
Healthcare Experience: 4 years of experience at army pharmacy

I'm going to either attend one of the accepted pharmacy schools or may apply for DO school next cycle.

What do you think my chance for DO?

Thank you very much everyone.

Best Regards,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With your ECs and MCAT if you apply early and broadly enough (15+ schools) you have a decent shot at DO (mostly at newer less competitive schools).

The main problem is your sGPA which is pretty low even for DO. If you took a semester or 2 of UG science courses and did well (3.5+) it would really help (upward trend and better GPA).

Members don't see this ad :)
Two Questions:

What's your MCAT score breakdown?
Have you submitted all of your materials yet for DO schools?

sorry for late response. i dont know what happened to SDN.. couldnt get in for almost 2 days lol.

anyways

MCAT: 27 (10 ps, 7 v, 10 bs)
and Im not applying for this cycle but for next one

thank you

th
With your ECs and MCAT if you apply early and broadly enough (15+ schools) you have a decent shot at DO (mostly at newer less competitive schools).

The main problem is your sGPA which is pretty low even for DO. If you took a semester or 2 of UG science courses and did well (3.5+) it would really help (upward trend and better GPA).

thank you
i have upward trand of GPA past 50 credit hours with more than 3.8 GPA.
yes i will apply broadly .. I know i'm not the most competitive one :)

thx for advice. i dont know if I can take extra science classes but I'm planning on retaking MCAT this coming april or april. I'll aim for 30+ MCAT for sure ,
My top 3 choices are Michigan State, Lucom, and Touro to maximize GI Bill benefit.

Once again, thank you all!

Firstly, many thaks to you for your service to our country.

Chances are excellent for DO. No need to re-take MCAT either.

Recently I'm in the middle of big decision between DO or PharmD. I've been serving US army as a pharmacy Tech for more than 4 years and about to have honorable discharge.

Getting Bachelor Degree in December 2013

cGPA: 3.34
sGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 27 (may or may not retake later but I want to know the chance as now)
Shadowing: DO & MD about 100 hours
Leadership: Executive Leader at Christian Club in CC, Leader of small group in Church (for 4 years)
Senior Tech of pharmacy tech soldiers for 3 years, Senior leader of army physical training for 2 years
Volunteer: 500 hours as Red Cross volunteer at army hospital
LOR: Way more than average..they want me to succeed
Awards: More than 10 military awards and ribbons + certificate
Healthcare Experience: 4 years of experience at army pharmacy

I'm going to either attend one of the accepted pharmacy schools or may apply for DO school next cycle.

What do you think my chance for DO?

Thank you very much everyone.

Best Regards,

Firstly, many thaks to you for your service to our country.

Chances are excellent for DO. No need to re-take MCAT either.

Thank you very much Goro! I've always heard about your excellent advices to many applicants.

The only reason I want to take MCAT again is

1. I'll have some free time from January to May
2. My previous test result wasn't my best. I only studied less than half a day for about a month due to my full time status as active duty.
3. I want to study something that I haven't for a while during my free time. MCAT is excellent challenge to me.

I'm honored to have your advice, Goro. thank you so much again!