cg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Make sure you read my response to your last post

The following information took about 20 minutes to find. When I have some more free time, I'll show you more.

The GPA's and MCAT's are shown to show the relative non-competitive nature of podiatry school. This was done in 1996 and even you might be able to deduce that the numbers must be worse since enrollment is down.

And, by the way. This is called backing up statements with researched information. You should try it sometime.

V. THE COMPETITIVE APPLICANT

Approximately 500 students apply to podiatric medical school each year. More than eighty percent of the applicants gain admission in one or more of the seven colleges of podiatric medicine. Data collected by the Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine indicate that the average GPA of the accepted applicant is 3.1. Average MCAT scores for matriculants are 6.8 in Verbal Reasoning, 6.8 in Physical Sciences and 6.9 in Biological Sciences.

Taken from a website from Purdue University. In case you can't figure it out, they're saying that there was roughly the same number of applicants for existing positions. Not too competitive. And this was 1996.

Applications to podiatry have been declining while the MCAT scoring has been fairly steady in the past number of years. For the fall 1999 entering class the average matriculant GPA was 3.1/4.0 with a science GPA of 3.0/4.0. The average MCAT for matriculants was 6.6 VR, 6.8 PS, and 7.0 BS, with lower scores compared to the 1997 class statistics.

Taken from a website from Illinois University. The GPA's aren't too bad, but nowhere near what the averages are for DO and MD schools. The MCAT scores are scary. And these are for MATRICULANTS.

Earnings of podiatrists engaged in private practice also depend upon factors such as location, size of practice, professional reputation and length of time in practice. A survey conducted by the American Podiatric Medical Association in 1997 found that the average income for 0-2 years of experience is $61000, for 10-15 years is $135,000. the overall average income is $110,631.

Taken from a website from Northern Arizona University. Being a poor student, you might think this looks ok until you figure in the realities of life. Particularly those first few years. Are you going to be average, above average or below average in earnings???

What Are Some Of The Characteristics Of Entering Students?

Academically, the average undergraduate GPA and MCAT Scores of Matriculants have increased in past years. In 1999, the overall GPA was 3.1 and the average science GPA was 3.0. Average MCAT scores for Matriculants were 6.6 in Verbal Reasoning, 6.8 in Physical Sciences and 7.0 in Biological Sciences.
? First-year enrollment for the 1999 entering class ranged from 50 to 115 per college for a total of 606 enrollees, of which 210 (35%) were female. Total enrollment for all seven colleges of Podiatric medicine in 1999-2000 was 2,258.

Taken from the APMA website just in case you won't believe a University's website.

??Podiatry Bytes is a critical examination of the podiatric profession in the United States by one of its most cynical practitioners. The author uses poetic license (since he couldn't get a podiatric one in that certain southern state) to provide helpful information to students considering a career in podiatry, because he believes it increases the job opportunities in his next life. Just like Clarence the angel says in the movie, It's A Wonderful Life, "Every time a bell rings," a student is saved from a questionable future and oppressive debt.
I'd like to make a few observations before I introduce you to the meat of Podiatry Bytes. First, although the Podiatry Bytes author is an angry self-proclaimed cynic and apparently, not doing too well in his chosen career, he is not nuts. In fact, after reading his web site carefully, it became apparent to me that there is AT LEAST a bit of truth in almost all of his observations.

PLEASE FOCUS ON THIS STATEMENT: Second, It's been apparent to me for a long time that the podiatry colleges and practicing podiatrists have vastly different interests?.? It's no wonder that, in an effort to fill up their classes, they paint a rosier picture of the realities of professional practice than those in the thick of it might"...

Taken from ?Podiatry Online?, written by the editor, Allan Sherman, DPM. Please note that the editor of Podiatry Online ADMITS that the schools do not tell the truth to students!!!!!

??Lowel Weil's opinion on the oversupply of podiatrists had such an impact because of who he is?...

This was taken from the same page on Podiatry Online written by none other than Dr. Sherman. If you didn?t know, Lowel Weil is one of the most well-known and highly respected podiatrists on the planet. Oh. You probably did know since you?re a member of the APMA. And, also, if you take the time to look at the site, please note that Dr. Sherman offers no rebuttal or other information to prove ?Podiatry Bytes? wrong.

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.smartfoot.com/newsflash/newsflash050199FEATURE.html

I'll provide other tidbits later.

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you post this, I never stated podiatry stats are competive with MD or DO stats? Who cares any way, a 3.9 doesnt make for a good doctor. You totally missed the boat on what I was trying to convey to you and others, but Im not suprised.
Peace

You have to ask me why I would post VERIFIABLE information? While it's clear that I need not point out your toddler mentality and general lack of understanding of life (you do it so well on your own), I tend to get irritated when someone uses my name and spews sophomoric insults and misleading gibberish.

Allow me to quote some of your more notable infantile rants. I didn't have the time to correct your mistakes:

"no wonder your miserable, its not your profesion thats your problem its your personality or lack there of"

Pretty mature. Apparently, the pod schools are now letting in 7th graders.

"all I can say to you is do your homework. Dont make your desicion base on poster who you cant see and talk too. Most of the people who bash podiatry on this forum are people who have no idea what podiatry is or does they are just posting because they are jumping on the bandwagon"

Unverifiable BS

"Just question what some of what Toe jam has written then go, is most of what he saying subjective? Did he do a study on all of the 15,000 Pods and new pods out there or is he making assumption about a whole profession based on his frustrations?"

More immaturity.

"Salaries have increased for pods although medicare reimbursements have decreased for all specialties ref:pM mag coming out in feb/03"

Misleading. That's why I posted how much pods REALLY make.

"enrollement increased this past year and is on tract to increase again this year"

VERY misleading. You almost make it sound like pod schools have enough applicants.

"All of what I posted are facts not subjective and can be proven. If you are truly interested you can find all of this out on your own not through hear say."

Another reason why I backed up my info. Where's your proof?

"Every profession has its disgruntled few such as podiatry, its just that podiatries disgruntled few post on the internet happy pods are to busy being successful."

More inflammatory sewage.

"I cant debate with you toejam because you are ignorant to the facts."

More like 3rd grade.

"If you go to the apma website( oh you cant, because your not a member)"

Gee. How did I get that information? And, are you saying that I'm somehow less of a podiatrist if I don't belong. I'll give that a 6th grade statement.

"and know this profession in and out"

uhhh...yeah. Right.

"Good luck with your new profession hopefully you will be more of a asset to your new profession than you were to your old one."

A weak attempt at sarcasm. And, more unecessary flaming.

"People (like toejam) complain about issues like residency or parity, but have no idea what it takes to make those thing become reality all they know is that its supposed to be there."

Wow! You must have read my biography!!

"I guaruntee Toejam doesnt have a clue how a residency is started or how legislation is enacted. Nor does he care how those prescriptive privleges he has or the ability for him to make 6 figures came about."

There's that guarantee again. Did you go to Sacramento once and you keep talking about it to impress people?

"Uninformed decision is what toejam has made when entered pod school(from his own admission), so why would you listen to what he has to say. He cant even authenticate what Ive posted in the past as the truth cause he doent have the know how or resources because he has been a irresponsible podiatrist when it comes to supporting his chosen profession."

This kind of sounds like Homer Simpson after about 50 Duffs.

"wouldnt know that pods are doing more and more ankle and lower leg procedures because the only experience he has is his own or the 20 or so docs he knows which he bases his descions on about the other 14000 other pods out there on"

Another misleading statement. I, personally, don't know of a single podiatrist who does any ankle procedures and I know many, many more than you.

"How would he know that pods are doing more procedures or if they werent he doesnt have acess to the literature or he just doesnt read it? You say they arent because your gut tells you so(real scientific)?"

Please don't tell me that you're claiming any of your pop-up book facts are remotely scientific.

"Ask what has he done to rectify his residency only paying ten grand a year."

First, what does "rectify his residency" mean? I think I answered this stupid question quite adequately.

"Do you even know the begining of osteopathic medicine do you think they got where they are by whining or bashing their profession on the internet. I am sure those osteopaths who blazed those trails would be proud of you . Try reading "The DO's by Gevitzs and see how the profession you are about to enter started and see how similar its begining is to Podiatry maybe you will learn something and stop being a 40 something year old taker/whiner."

The ironic thing about your posts is that it further bolsters my general opinion of the "qualifications" and "requirements" that pod schools are interested in these days. If you really want to help out podiatry, STOP POSTING!

Wow, you guys could start a thread all by yourselves. Is it really necessary to hurl insults at one another just so that one of you can "one up" the other? Could we possibly try to use this forum in a positive manner to advance the profession? Or at least pose pertinent questions related to our profession? I'm sure other would agree that this type of gibberish should not be posted here. Thanks!