Cell Phone Plans -calling back to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sydney Pierce

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what fellow Canadians studying at US medical schools use for their cell phone plans. I have been perusing the American cell phone plans/rates and don't seem to find any unlimited calling from the US to Canada at a reasonable rate.

What do you use to call back home and what would you recommend??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ya, skype's the best. I found that phone cards were the best, but it took a while to find one that actually gave as many minutes as advertised.

Members don't see this ad :)
verizon does US/Canada/Mexico for $70/month

verizon does US/Canada/Mexico for $70/month

You could use Skype to Go, get yourself a US local number and then dial then from your "unlimited" plan or "my5" plan. It will give you a dial tone which you can use to call Canada.

Get the unlimited Skype North America plan, it will provide you with a Skype to go number and unlimited calls in Can/US.

Thanks so much for all of the recommendations! I truly appreciate it and will look into all options mentioned. Thanks again.

You could use Skype to Go, get yourself a US local number and then dial then from your "unlimited" plan or "my5" plan. It will give you a dial tone which you can use to call Canada.

Get the unlimited Skype North America plan, it will provide you with a Skype to go number and unlimited calls in Can/US.

yeah i did that.
26$ for a year!!
you can also get a number for people to call you at for 70$ a year.

For making unlimited calls via your cellphone within Canada 20 major cities, its' FREE now just add an add-on plan called magic number to your cellphone via magicnumber.ca for Unlimited Outgoing (My5 users) or add Easy Callback for Unlimited Outgoing calls (usuallly for Fido users) $7 - $9/month

Last edited:
Hey fellow Canadians. I would recommend using GOOGLE VOICE. All you will need to do is sign up for an invite via their website but all calls from the US to Canada are FREE! They just re-route you calls from the US to a local Canadian number. The only thing that would be used up is your minutes, but not if you call after 9PM for most plans like Verizon. I hope that helps.