Cell Biology on DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charcot bouchard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to decide if I should take cell biology or not. There was a post about this but it was over 10 years ago. Talking to friends of mine who have taken the DAT they don't seem to think Cell Bio is necessary. I have taken Molecular and Microbiology, Physical and Developmental Biology, Genetics, and will soon be taking Biochem and Physiology (prior to taking the DAT).

Those of you who have taken the DAT recently: How helpful would an entire course in Cell Biology be?

Members don't see this ad.

I think Cell Bio is pretty useful for the DAT probably more useful than Biochem. I took cell bio my freshman year first semester. U probably don't need the advanced level cell bio IMO
Information on DAT is pretty basic (to some extent)

Ok thank you for your response. I have taken two courses that deal with cell biology, but the one i am debating taking is quite advanced. its cell bio 360, so is probably beyond the scope of the DAT, yeah?

Yeah I think so. I think they get into the biochem in those classes and you don't need that. I mean the class overall will help you remember certain concepts better but it's not necessary to take such a course in order to do well on the DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok great, thank you. Last questions: how long ago did you take the DAT? And what concepts from your cell bio were the most useful to you? Just to make sure I have studied those in my other classes.

I took my DAT last week. Like other people have told me focus on the first 7 chapters from Cliff's/Feralis (a must in my opinion) this means make sure u know organelles and functions, molecular biology (and lab techniques...covered in feralis/Bootcamp/genius) and definitely genetics+ heredity. Those topics come together nicely alto ugh each test will be different and focused on specific topics. Know those 7 chapters well
(My test had quite a few plant/biological diversity questions and not many genetics so u never know what you're gonna get I suppose. Know feralis and you're 95% of the way there)