CC student and 17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drdoctor_m

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting; therefore, I don't even know of I'm doing it right.

I just have some questions regarding my standing.

I am 17 years old and a pre-med. I would like an MD and a doctorate in healthcare administration.

I'm in a middle college program and I will get my associates degree when I'm 18, my BS when I'm 20 and hopefully my MD-DHA no later than 26. I just wanted to know if anybody knew about how med school would be different for me.

I'm really just trying to find people in a similar situation to get some perspective on how to approach everything.

So far, it's been pretty hard because nobody wants to let a minor shadow them even though I'm a sophomore in college. It has also been a challenge getting ready for the MCAT since my school doesn't offer pre-med advising.

Anything would help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

May I know why you set an age limit for yourself - getting MD-DHA no later than 26? I am more than twice as old as you are, and I am not yet in med school. You sound in such a hurry. You are posting here, a discussion section for non-trads. Of course, I totally believe that a young genius who starts and finishes med school super early can also be considered "non-traditional" too. But you can see that the majority of people here are way older when we (re)-consider our journey to medical training. We take our time, and let our lives take us to different places before we head (back) to medicine. So now we bring our own experiences, knowledge, and skills from our previous journeys to medicine. Not speaking for other people, I have enjoyed every moment of my prior careers. Can you say a little bit more why you want to complete your two doctorates before turning 27?

Reactions: 1 user
That is amazing!

17 and already in college?

Dude. Keep it up!

Stay away from all of the bull and partying.

You have TIME on your side. Something you can NEVER get back!

Keep pushing and if I could go back... I WISH I could be in a similar situation and get my degree before 22.

Honestly... just keep pulling through. Go to every doctor office and just give them a resume, a small letter explaining who you are and present yourself professionally.

It's not WHAT you say (well... it kinda is...) but HOW YOU SAY IT.

Kill it!

Members don't see this ad :)
May I know why you set an age limit for yourself - getting MD-DHA no later than 26? I am more than twice as old as you are, and I am not yet in med school. You sound in such a hurry. You are posting here, a discussion section for non-trads. Of course, I totally believe that a young genius who starts and finishes med school super early can also be considered "non-traditional" too. But you can see that the majority of people here are way older when we (re)-consider our journey to medical training. We take our time, and let our lives take us to different places before we head (back) to medicine. So now we bring our own experiences, knowledge, and skills from our previous journeys to medicine. Not speaking for other people, I have enjoyed every moment of my prior careers. Can you say a little bit more why you want to complete your two doctorates before turning 27?

Your post really has me thinking.
I really enjoy my education, but also know that I want to have a very long time to enjoy medicine and to explore it in many different ways. I guess I am rushing for several reasons.

I've been volunteering at my hospitals Medical Surgical ICU since last August and everytime surgeons come into the unit it's an incredible experience. While I haven't necessarily decided which specialty I'd like to go into, I know that if I did go into surgery residencies can take quite a bit of time (generally between 5 and 7 years).

If I have my MD-DHA at 27, I'd finish my residency between 32 and 34. I would already have the surgical experience and training but none or minimal of the Healthcare Admin.

I think I'm just trying to give myself enough time to enjoy the medicine.

Additionally, it takes a long time to build up credibility in a field like this. I want to be able to get to the enjoyment part of my career as soon as possible.

Thank you for your response!

That is amazing!

17 and already in college?

Dude. Keep it up!

Stay away from all of the bull and partying.

You have TIME on your side. Something you can NEVER get back!

Keep pushing and if I could go back... I WISH I could be in a similar situation and get my degree before 22.

Honestly... just keep pulling through. Go to every doctor office and just give them a resume, a small letter explaining who you are and present yourself professionally.

It's not WHAT you say (well... it kinda is...) but HOW YOU SAY IT.

Kill it!

Thank you for all of the encouragement.

I should have probably mentioned that I love in Durham, NC.

It's even harder to find shadowing experiences because I have Duke Med and UNC med so close to me.

The few times I've gotten close, I've been denied because of the fact that they are so overwhelmed with med students wanting to do the same and with more experience.

The best salesmen get kicked out of more offices by 9am Monday morning than the worst pitch in a week. There's a doctor out there who will let you shadow, with a signed permission slip from your parents of course.

Reactions: 1 user