CBSE and Externships for Dental Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_6523

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which programs require CBSE? I only know OSU requires it.
It’s seems like the majority of the programs don’t require it. Should I take the test? Or is it better to have a score even though the schools don’t require it? I want to avoid spending so much time, money, and efforts to take the test if only OSU requires it.

Regarding externships, when would be a good time to do externships? Is it better to extern during school time or school breaks?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also curious about the definitive answer for this but from previous posts it seems like there's a "soft" requirement for most NY programs too

Reactions: 1 users
Ohio state, Jacobi and stony brook are for sure requiring the CBSE for this upcoming cycle. Those are the ones I know of so far

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly it's kinda baffling that some DA programs are requiring the CBSE, it just seems like they're doing it to weed out candidates. you might as well apply to OMFS as well if you're going to take the CBSE. That exam alone takes months of studying and you're most likely going to take it more than once considering that it's basically a STEP 1 exam lol

honestly it's kinda baffling that some DA programs are requiring the CBSE, it just seems like they're doing it to weed out candidates. you might as well apply to OMFS as well if you're going to take the CBSE. That exam alone takes months of studying and you're most likely going to take it more than once considering that it's basically a STEP 1 exam lol
I feel like it makes pretty good sense for DA to take the CBSE and be able to prove they have a certain level of basic science/medical knowledge, considering the level of care they will be providing during residency.

I feel like it makes pretty good sense for DA to take the CBSE and be able to prove they have a certain level of basic science/medical knowledge, considering the level of care they will be providing during residency.
It would've made more sense for DA programs to make the CBSE a requirement after the NBDE became pass/fail. OMFS programs did after the change b/c it's a standardized exam with a score attached so they have a cutoff to work with. DA programs making it a requirement after almost 10 years of not doing so is a bit of a head scratcher, but I digress. Maybe b/c it recently became a recognized specialty, there's a bigger pool of applicants to weed out probably

Do we know if NYU and Pitt are requiring for the 2023-2024 cycle?