Cats and schizoprenia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
This article essentially says that the research on this is ****. That there may be something there, but there are conflicting studies, and some of the studies that do show an association are...pretty thin.
On the other hand:
A. cats can be pretty psychotic themselves
B. Old cat ladies

cat gatos GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Just because my cat and I meow back and forth and have an understanding of each other’s thoughts and feelings doesn’t mean I’m detached from reality. 😼😼😻

1702345958286.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I do psychosis research. I was taught at one point that the proposed mechanism to explain the “tentative and small” link between cat ownership and schizophrenia is that toxoplasmosis is common in cat feces and that infection thereby may raise risk of chronic psychosis. I never followed any of the literature—it was more of a factoid and a “hey this is a cool but niche thing people are studying,” but I will say that this paper doesn’t come totally out of left field. That said, I think this supposed link is probably not very robust. A similar factoid in our subarea is that people born blind cannot develop schizophrenia, but I always point out to people that schizophrenia is already rare (0.5% or so) and being born blind *even more rare than that,* so the combinatorics work out to a very small percentage of folks who likely just haven’t been observed and written about.

Reactions: 4 users
I do psychosis research. I was taught at one point that the proposed mechanism to explain the “tentative and small” link between cat ownership and schizophrenia is that toxoplasmosis is common in cat feces and that infection thereby may raise risk of chronic psychosis. I never followed any of the literature—it was more of a factoid and a “hey this is a cool but niche thing people are studying,” but I will say that this paper doesn’t come totally out of left field. That said, I think this supposed link is probably not very robust. A similar factoid in our subarea is that people born blind cannot develop schizophrenia, but I always point out to people that schizophrenia is already rare (0.5% or so) and being born blind *even more rare than that,* so the combinatorics work out to a very small percentage of folks who likely just haven’t been observed and written about.

Given the base rates of both (10% cat ownership vs <1% schizophrenia), I would need to see better data. I am also curious how well the data defines schizophrenia dx. I know a lot of people that fall into both camps but don't have schizophrenia (only a dx) because they require antipsychotics to manage dementia and old people get lonely.

Reactions: 1 users
"Yes we also saw that article in the Atlantic. And then we peed on the Atlantic."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So as a multi cat owner, does that mean my risk increases? Please advise.

More than two? Perhaps a forgone conclusion. I had a friend growing up that had 7, he was afflicted with becoming a veterinarian instead.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I am married to a crazy cat lady. She doesn’t meet criteria for schizophrenia; therefore, its not true. That’s the type of logic I would get when teaching research methods to undergrads.