Categorical vs Advanced?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrustMe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts as to which one is more desired/more competitive amongst applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Advanced positions from what I understand are more competitive...TY and other prelim years in nice places are more desirable I guess....its shaping up to be a heck of a match

Well, as an IMG, I personally prefer categorical program because I've heard that securing a prelim/TY position is extremely difficult especially for IMGs. Also, if I get to work in the same hospital from an intern, I could be more familiar with the system and the area...thought it would be easier for me to acclimate.

Still, I did apply to categorical and advanced programs as well as prelim IMs in university setting and received more that expected considering this competitiveness.

I am curious how this actually works in my ROL. If a program offers both categorical and advanced and I applied for both tracks, do I rank it separately in my ROL? I prefer categorical, but advanced would be thankful too...how do I express my wishes to the program? Do they ask? or should I say to the PD at the interview? :oops: