This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

You have been promoted to assistant manager at a publishing company. Recently, your boss has been taking long lunch hours and leaving early, leaving you to do your work and theirs.​

1. How should you talk to your boss?
  2. Your boss says that your job is to help them with their tasks. Are they taking advantage of you?
  3. Whose duty is it to ensure that workers are treated fairly?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Sitting down with my boss and speaking openly and honestly about my workload, making sure to identify specific aspects of the tasks given that are beyond the scope of my position.
2. I know it is the job of the assistant manager to help, but there are distinct duties for each of us, and some of the projects I am helping my boss with are hindering my ability to complete my duties. Yes, there is some advantage being taken. Maybe we can work out a more defined set of boundaries for who is responsible for what.
3. It is the duty of the boss and of the worker to ensure everyone is treated fairly. If the boss does not see the problem when I bring it up, then I would go to HR.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. This is a difficult situation. For one, I understand it may be tiring for me to do the work that is occurring and piling up. On the other hand, it may be difficult to confront my boss with the increase in work and I do not know the whole story of why my nboss is leaving early/taking long lunch breaks. I would like to gather more information. In a private area, I would talk to my boss in a nonjudgemental tone and bring up that I have noticed he has been taking long lunch hours and leaving early and that I have been struggling with the increase in work. Perhaps the boss is leaving early/long lunch hours due to personal matters. If so, then I would talk to my boss and compromise our work schedules and duties that can help more evenly spread the work out for both of us while also allowing the boss to attend to personal matters. If my boss is purposely not watching the time and refuses to take more of his work, I may consider reporting to HR. This lack of due diligence can lead to burn out for me and can result in negative affects to the company. I would want to create a compromise for both me and my boss that will allow both my boss to take personal time for lunch and for home but also be able to allow myself to feel comfortable with the amount of work I have.
  2. I believe that perhaps my boss is not purposely trying to take advantage of me. Pulling my boss to a private area, I would like to present honestly to my boss and in a nonjudgemental tone that amount of work i can possibly do within a work day without compromising my personal life and without compromising the quality of my work. Perhaps my boss is unaware of the amount of work that I could possibly take on within a day. Therefore compromising with my boss will allow me to solidify my tasks as an assistant manager.
  3. I think it is everyone’s duty. As an employee, it is important to be aware of mistreatment and report such mistreatment. However, as a boss, it is important to realize that everyone is human and that workers need to be treated fairly and as humans. Moreover, it is HRs job to ensure that superiors and the work environment is fair for all.

(please ignore grammatical/spelling errors since those will not affect CASPER scores)

You have been promoted to assistant manager at a publishing company. Recently, your boss has been taking long lunch hours and leaving early, leaving you to do your work and theirs.​

1. How should you talk to your boss?
  2. Your boss says that your job is to help them with their tasks. Are they taking advantage of you?
  3. Whose duty is it to ensure that workers are treated fairly?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

1. I'd first investigate perhaps they have something going on maybe with their family or relationship. The gut reaction would be to assume they are lazy, but I find many times that this type of behavior itself also is rooted in something else. Ultimately, if there is something going on and I can handle a bit of extra work, I'd probably just manage it. Although at some point hopefully they would see that I'm helping them out, and that may build enough rapport for us to have a good conversation. If I am getting very negative vibes from it, then I would be more likely to have a small confrontation, hopefully without making them too defensive. "Hey, I just noticed that you've been heading out early, and I wanted to make sure that everything was ok. I don't mind helping out some, but all of this extra work is putting a stress on me. Maybe we can figure something out."

2. This would depend on the job description, and if I am getting paid overtime, or if I'm just having to do more work per my alotted time. If the type of job is where the boss can kind of just do whatever they want, then I suppose I can't really complain. The issue only for me would be that I'm doing mor ethan my job description, working more hours than agreed, or not getting paid. I would obviously try to appeal to them though even if all the above were in specification, letting them know that I'm struggling.

3. Everyone should be communicating with each other. Depending on the type of business / establishment there may be SOPs or regulations that have to be met. If there are clear violations then it should be up to the employee or an anonymous box that someone perhaps isn't getting paid for work done. But the best way for all of this is everyone to be able to communicate openly, rationally, and to try to foster a healthy environment.

Time 5m

I started rambling at the end due to time.