Cash Pain Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think UBI is kind of what we've been getting during COVID and it's contributing to inflation. Lots of jobs but people don't want/need to work. Unemployment is toxic to civilization imo.
Has its place. Problem is when it’s used as a commie blanket.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about that but I do know that there are a lot of starving and homeless children in this world and your donation certainly would not be inconsequential to them. You can provide much food, clean water, and medicine if you were to donate a good chunk of your paycheck. You definitely do not need your entire salary to get by. You can make a difference. ----"Be the change you wish to see in the world" -Gandhi --- "and don't be a hypocrite" -me
donations to national charitable organizations actually give little in return. some are complete cons.

donations to government also is fraught and not going to change income inequality.

donations to local organizations, food banks are valuable (and i do this frequently).

however, donations do not change income inequality. it is akin to that biblical story about giving a man a fish vs. teaching him how to fish.

Reactions: 1 user
donations to national charitable organizations actually give little in return. some are complete cons.

donations to government also is fraught and not going to change income inequality.

donations to local organizations, food banks are valuable (and i do this frequently).

however, donations do not change income inequality. it is akin to that biblical story about giving a man a fish vs. teaching him how to fish.
I see but anyway you know the point I'm making. Of course, taxing you exclusively wouldn't make a difference but taxing one billionaire would not either. You're suggesting to tax the entire class of billionaires but why stop there? Why not advocate for increasing taxes for those in your income bracket. Whether or not you want to admit it, you're up there in numbers and are part of the lopsided distribution of wealth. As am I along with pretty much everyone else in here.

You have far more than you'll ever need and have far more than most people in this world, including your fellow Americans.

I always find it interesting that some people are so quick to be generous with other people's money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately the bottom line is that the 0.01% will never be taxed to the extent they should because they rub elbows with the politicians and our system is inherently corrupt.
I don't think it's that simple. I imagine that billionaires have to ability to be very mobile. If you increase their taxes I imagine they would be able to pick up and move if they chose to do so. I'm sure there are many countries or states that would be happy to have them. Kind of like the whole Tesla Cali to Texas thing.

In my county, we try to encourage investment from the ultra-rich by offering different types of credits and lower taxes, etc. We don't do the opposite.

When AOC went after Amazon, Amazon gave her the finger and didn't build in NYC. The benefit of having Amazon went to another state that was more welcoming to them.

I see but anyway you know the point I'm making. Of course, taxing you exclusively wouldn't make a difference but taxing one billionaire would not either. You're suggesting to tax the entire class of billionaires but why stop there? Why not advocate for increasing taxes for those in your income bracket. Whether or not you want to admit it, you're up there in numbers and are part of the lopsided distribution of wealth. As am I along with pretty much everyone else in here.

You have far more than you'll ever need and have far more than most people in this world, including your fellow Americans.

I always find it interesting that some people are so quick to be generous with other people's money.
thats actually not true.

taxing a billionaire who is evading millions in taxes can make a significant difference.

the ultrarich are probably avoiding roughly $150,000,000,000 of rightful taxes per year.

you can add thousands of dollars to thousands of upper middle class and not ever get close to the amount they are supposed to be paying.

there is a huge difference between not only how the ultra rich avoid taxes, but how make money compared to the rest of us.

Taken together, it demolishes the cornerstone myth of the American tax system: that everyone pays their fair share and the richest Americans pay the most. The IRS records show that the wealthiest can — perfectly legally — pay income taxes that are only a tiny fraction of the hundreds of millions, if not billions, their fortunes grow each year.

Many Americans live paycheck to paycheck, amassing little wealth and paying the federal government a percentage of their income that rises if they earn more. In recent years, the median American household earned about $70,000 annually and paid 14% in federal taxes. The highest income tax rate, 37%, kicked in this year, for couples, on earnings above $628,300.

The confidential tax records obtained by ProPublica show that the ultrarich effectively sidestep this system.

The results are stark. According to Forbes, those 25 people saw their worth rise a collective $401 billion from 2014 to 2018. They paid a total of $13.6 billion in federal income taxes in those five years, the IRS data shows. That’s a staggering sum, but it amounts to a true tax rate of only 3.4%.

It’s a completely different picture for middle-class Americans, for example, wage earners in their early 40s who have amassed a typical amount of wealth for people their age. From 2014 to 2018, such households saw their net worth expand by about $65,000 after taxes on average, mostly due to the rise in value of their homes. But because the vast bulk of their earnings were salaries, their tax bills were almost as much, nearly $62,000, over that five-year period.

what i find most concerning are that so many people who are not in this population - who are not afforded the copious advantages of the ultra rich, and will never ever be in that group (barring a Powerball win) - defend these few individuals and how they have managed to not only amass their vast sums of money but are able to hide it and keep it away from others.

thats actually not true.

taxing a billionaire who is evading millions in taxes can make a significant difference.

the ultrarich are probably avoiding roughly $150,000,000,000 of rightful taxes per year.

you can add thousands of dollars to thousands of upper middle class and not ever get close to the amount they are supposed to be paying.

there is a huge difference between not only how the ultra rich avoid taxes, but how make money compared to the rest of us.

what i find most concerning are that so many people who are not in this population - who are not afforded the copious advantages of the ultra rich, and will never ever be in that group (barring a Powerball win) - defend these few individuals and how they have managed to not only amass their vast sums of money but are able to hide it and keep it away from others.
I wouldn't defend them since I care as much about them preserving their wealth as much as they care about me preserving mine. I really could care less. My point is that you should lead by example. You're not middle class btw and you're not part of the rest of us. You're closer to the 1% than you'd probably care to admit.

Did you read the article on the 9.9%? It seems interesting.

thats what those in power want us to think.

but systemic change will not happen when individuals make a change, "lead by example". in fact, that will have the opposite effect.

a great example is Live Aid.

in this case, actually millions of people did "band" together to raise money for "world hunger" specifically Ethiopia.

yes, hundreds of thousands of lives were saved. but the governments involved did not change at all.

in fact:

there is legitimate debate that Live Aid actually made the political situation worse.

Last edited:
This is the argument the politicians love to use. It’s just too difficult to tax the truly rich. Let’s keep sticking it to the w-2 peoples. It’s not a coincidence the billionaires are who they rub elbows with and who donates to them. And if you don’t believe our system is corrupt I don’t know what else to say.

Reactions: 2 users
This is the argument the politicians love to use. It’s just too difficult to tax the truly rich. Let’s keep sticking it to the w-2 peoples. It’s not a coincidence the billionaires are who they rub elbows with and who donates to them. And if you don’t believe our system is corrupt I don’t know what else to say.
This.

Maybe you're right, I don't know but I do know the policies in my county, as noted above. My town is small enough where I personally know the mayor and his family as well as the previous mayor, and most members of the town council. Stark difference from where I grew up in ny.

They're definitely not in cahoots with big business but they do try to give breaks to lure them to invest in us. I would think my small town is a microcosm to the rest of the country but i guess i could be wrong.

Complaining and bragging.....

18 patients in office yesterday from 730-11. 1 new (SCS eval), 8 procedures (1 RF, 1 SIJ, 6 MBB).
3 surgical cases at ASC scheduled 12, 1:30, 3.
Delay getting started due to slow surgeons in OR ahead of me.
Case 1 starts at 1:40 (cervical Nevro)
Case 2 starts at 3:30 (Nevro)
Case 3 moved from ASC to main OR (too late in the day, OR is on other side of wall of ASC)
Case 3 starts at 5:45 (Nevro).
Home at 7. Technically 3 of my best cases. Did some trick steering, had great positioning to allow things to go smoothly. Love the Elite C-arm.
Speaking of baller.....first patient paid cash. Found out mid case.

18 patients in office yesterday from 730-11. 1 new (SCS eval), 8 procedures (1 RF, 1 SIJ, 6 MBB).
Case 3 moved from ASC to main OR (too late in the day, OR is on other side of wall of ASC)
Home at 7. Technically 3 of my best cases. Did some trick steering, had great positioning to allow things to go smoothly. Love the Elite C-arm.
Is it typical to have three stims in one day? Do you prefer to do trials or implants? Thanks!

That's you afford your sports car.

Is it typical to have three stims in one day? Do you prefer to do trials or implants? Thanks!
I do 1/2 day OR per week. Not every week. But for rest of year I will have 3-4 cases every Friday afternoon.
Trials are easier/faster. Implants are more elegant/challenging/rewarding.