Cash-Only Cosmetic Derm The Most Potentially Lucrative in 10 Years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onelovehomies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?
And if yes, then what sort of numbers are we talking about, and how do those compare to now? If no, which specialties/subspecialties potentially more lucrative?
Just curious. Don't hate.
OneLoveHomies

Members don't see this ad.

Thoughts?
And if yes, then what sort of numbers are we talking about, and how do those compare to now? If no, which specialties/subspecialties potentially more lucrative?
Just curious. Don't hate.
OneLoveHomies

Where are you practicing? That's a large factor in a cosmetic practice.

What are you comparing it to? Neurosurgery will probably still win.

You want actual numbers? The MGMA has a pricy but helpful compensation guide. They release it annually. It contains numerous specialties. You can compare and contrast to your heart's content.

Where are you practicing? That's a large factor in a cosmetic practice.

What are you comparing it to? Neurosurgery will probably still win.

You want actual numbers? The MGMA has a pricy but helpful compensation guide. They release it annually. It contains numerous specialties. You can compare and contrast to your heart's content.
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Cosmetic dermatology is 1/3 skill and 2/3 marketing, networking and self promotion. Its a small percentage of the population that are willing to pay cash for these services and many by default will just go to their regular dermatologist who they are seeing anyway for medical issues (as 95% of derm is still medical). So if you are the "sales" type that likes marketing yourself and fighting for these patients you might do well. Make sure you like doing that though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Cosmetic dermatology is 1/3 skill and 2/3 marketing, networking and self promotion. Its a small percentage of the population that are willing to pay cash for these services and many by default will just go to their regular dermatologist who they are seeing anyway for medical issues (as 95% of derm is still medical). So if you are the "sales" type that likes marketing yourself and fighting for these patients you might do well. Make sure you like doing that though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ok, good to know. And in the increasingly harsh environment of surgery reimbursements, do you think that that's the smartest path for a student to take who will begin practicing in 10 years IF money were the only factor? Or do you think in 10 years there will be a better hourly wage out there? Also, what does a typical high volume cash only cosmetic derm in a rural area make in a year now, and how much can that number be expected to decrease in a decade, if at all? Thanks
Just trying to better understand the financial landscape of my new industry and where the peaks and valleys are.

Last edited:
Also, what does a typical high volume cash only cosmetic derm in a rural area make in a year now, and how much can that number be expected to decrease in a decade, if at all?

I am not the expert in this area, but I'm not so sure such a thing exists. Or, if it does, it must be rare.

Ok, good to know. And in the increasingly harsh environment of surgery reimbursements, do you think that that's the smartest path for a student to take who will begin practicing in 10 years IF money were the only factor? Or do you think in 10 years there will be a better hourly wage out there? Also, what does a typical high volume cash only cosmetic derm in a rural area make in a year now, and how much can that number be expected to decrease in a decade, if at all? Thanks
Just trying to better understand the financial landscape of my new industry and where the peaks and valleys are.

If money were the only factor? I wouldn't look at medicine.

What do the tea leaves look like financially in 10 years? If I could tell you that, I wouldn't be in medicine. I'd be running my own hedge fund.

Typical high volume cash only cosmetic derm in a rural area? Lots of skin checks and lots of skin cancers are what you can expect in a rural area. They won't be lining up for Botox and they certainly won't be lining up to hand you their hard-earned cash.

Where exactly in medical school are you? I would encourage you to do some actual shadowing of dermatologists (perhaps private practices ones if you want answers to your financial questions) as that should clear up many of the misconceptions you seem to have...

Reactions: 1 users
What do the tea leaves look like financially in 10 years? If I could tell you that, I wouldn't be in medicine. I'd be running my own hedge fund.

Yeah, but I always like to see those questions asked and answered, not for any predictive powers but as a gauge of sentiment. With that in mind, if I were to give you guys $1000 and ask you to bet it on the following outcomes, which one would you choose?

10 years from now, a "typical" hard working dermatologist will make what percentage of the income of today's "typical" hard working dermatologist, inflation adjusted?
A)125%+
B)100%
C)75%
D)50% or under

I realize there is no such thing as a "typical" hard working dermatologist and that guesses are less than worthless for making any decisions for 10 years out, but I hope you get the spirit of the question.