Case Western vs cleveland clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who have interviewed at case and at CCLCM, how would you compare the two programs? I was accepted to both, and I am having trouble deciding between the two. Case has a great rep, and offers the option to do research, or stay for a 5th year if you want. CCLCM requires the 5th year, and pays you a stipend for the 5th year. However, if what I want is clinical research crudentials, why not do a masters in clinical research after I get my MD rather than spending a year doing research at CCLCM....
Also, the financial aid at CCLCM is a little bit unclear, while at case, you know you'll be paying quite a bit.
Any thoughts on either school?

Members don't see this ad.

Duka, I think it's a personal preference. Both programs are different and each has its own goals. CCLCM wants to produce clinical researchers while with Case, it doesn't really matter what you do. Even if you choose not to do the Clinic program, you can still do your 3rd and 4th years at the Clinic. There are also differences in the teaching and the curriculum.

Personally, I'd love to get into either...
I also liked the dual degree programs at Case, especially the MD/PHD in engineering sciences. I thought that program sounded really cool, especially for me, since i'm a tech/programming junkie.

Kashue is right. By choosing one or the other you will not necessarily be excluded form the experience of the other (YMMV) but the Case program will give you the option of getting an additional degree (for two more yrs of research PhD) and free ride. They also have several loans for MS students earmarked by research faculty. The Clinic will have some kinks for now I think but it will be a 5 yr program with out an extra degree or Free ride PhD.

Congratulations on being in that boat. You worked for it.

I believe they are still working out the specifics on being able to work for a Masters while enrolled at the Clinic, but it definitely seems like a possibility. The way I see it, the Clinic is like Case but with more perks, haha.