This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused_duckling04

Reaction score
Hey folks of SDN,

Firstly, thank you for taking time to read my post and for possibly responding. :)

I'm a 23 year old female (ORM-Asian) who is attempting to reinvent herself.
I majored in Biochemistry and minored in Psychology.
cGPA: 3.04
sGPA: 2.7 (yikes)

I unfortunately had my fair share of reasons for not doing well in undergrad NONE of which excuse my performance however they did have detrimental effects on both my mental and physical well-being. I do not like talking about these experiences but realize I may have to IF I ever receive a MD/DO interview.

So in an attempt to reinvent myself, I looked for SMP programs. Currently am enrolled in Case Western's Masters in Medical Physiology program and hope this SMP can help to repair some of the damage I have done. I have not taken the MCAT yet but am planning on doing so either AFTER my first year or upon completing my SMP. (I realize most individuals would recommend having taken the MCAT prior to such a decision and I will be preparing/taking practice exams this summer to see where I stand at the bare minimum.)

Overall, I would just like some advice on how to move forward. I will be gaining clinical experience from my current job appointment and during the SMP. I am also shadowing physicians and will be volunteering as well. (I do not have exact hours summed up yet but will attempt to amass a significant amount.)

Any advice as kind or harsh will be appreciated. Also I would be grateful if you could share some information regarding your SMP experience, shadowing/volunteering/clinical experience, and on how you overcame adversity. Once again thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey!

I'm a Case Western MSMP grad! I'm taking my Step 2 on Friday and trying not to study or stress so I decided to come on here to answer any questions you have about the program, so ask away!

Hello confused_duckling04,
I am currently in a very similar situation to yours after undergrad. Like weird similar. My gpa metrics look almost identical to yours. I was initially afraid to apply to a program given my science gpa, thinking I wouldn't get in and the admissions committee would laugh at my application as they threw it into the trash. How competitive is this program? I am currently torn between applying to this program, the bioethics MA, and PRIME all at Case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks of SDN,

Firstly, thank you for taking time to read my post and for possibly responding. :)

I unfortunately had my fair share of reasons for not doing well in undergrad NONE of which excuse my performance however they did have detrimental effects on both my mental and physical well-being. I do not like talking about these experiences but realize I may have to IF I ever receive a MD/DO interview.

So in an attempt to reinvent myself, I looked for SMP programs. Currently am enrolled in Case Western's Masters in Medical Physiology program and hope this SMP can help to repair some of the damage I have done. I have not taken the MCAT yet but am planning on doing so either AFTER my first year or upon completing my SMP. (I realize most individuals would recommend having taken the MCAT prior to such a decision and I will be preparing/taking practice exams this summer to see where I stand at the bare minimum.)

Overall, I would just like some advice on how to move forward. I will be gaining clinical experience from my current job appointment and during the SMP. I am also shadowing physicians and will be volunteering as well. (I do not have exact hours summed up yet but will attempt to amass a significant amount.)

Any advice as kind or harsh will be appreciated. Also I would be grateful if you could share some information regarding your SMP experience, shadowing/volunteering/clinical experience, and on how you overcame adversity. Once again thank you!

Hey, as someone in a similar situation, can I ask what you figured out? I got into the Case SMP and am wondering if it helped you out! Thanks!

Hey folks of SDN,

In a similar situation with lower stats, but got into the MSMP program today. My question is whether its worth spending the money given my abysmal uGPA

In a similar situation with lower stats, but got into the MSMP program today. My question is whether its worth spending the money given my abysmal uGPA

Hey congratulations! Can I ask if you took the GRE/MCAT, and if so, how did you do? I have lower stats as well but my practice GREs have not been great so wondering how that will workout for me.

Hey congratulations! Can I ask if you took the GRE/MCAT, and if so, how did you do? I have lower stats as well but my practice GREs have not been great so wondering how that will workout for me.

Hi! Thanks, I took the GRE in 2018 and used that score. I got 155 verbal, 148 quantitative, and 4.5 writing. My GPA was pretty bad lol

Hi! Thanks, I took the GRE in 2018 and used that score. I got 155 verbal, 148 quantitative, and 4.5 writing. My GPA was pretty bad lol

Thank you for replying! My GRE from yesterday was a 301 and my cGPA is a bit above a 3.0. I think this program is pretty good for lower GPAs because they have an option for taking some undergrad classes while you’re in the program! What other program are you looking at?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello confused_duckling04,
I am currently in a very similar situation to yours after undergrad. Like weird similar. My gpa metrics look almost identical to yours. I was initially afraid to apply to a program given my science gpa, thinking I wouldn't get in and the admissions committee would laugh at my application as they threw it into the trash. How competitive is this program? I am currently torn between applying to this program, the bioethics MA, and PRIME all at Case.
I did get into PRIME and starting from fall since I haven’t had any pre reqs done before but I find MSMP Course structure is focused more adv level that helps to get into med school and prepares some of first yr courses. Seems one who applied for MSMP and PRIME can shed more light

Hey!

I'm a Case Western MSMP grad! I'm taking my Step 2 on Friday and trying not to study or stress so I decided to come on here to answer any questions you have about the program, so ask away!
Can you please share your experience on how it helped and also are you aware of PRIME program at Case? Can we take some pre reqs while studying MSMP?

Thank you for replying! My GRE from yesterday was a 301 and my cGPA is a bit above a 3.0. I think this program is pretty good for lower GPAs because they have an option for taking some undergrad classes while you’re in the program! What other program are you looking at?

My GPA is lower sadly, and that' great because I definitely need to take more undergrad courses. I also appleid to DPMS, IHS (not IMS), Geisinger's MBS (accepted), and the UC Consortium (still waiting to hear back). I'm just struggling with financing any option at the moment, and whether investing in these opportunities will give me a shot at med school, given my stats.