CASE vs. Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jini

USC Class of 2009!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Case has a great facility and small class size; however, I was told that Temple has a very rigorous clinical training. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Consider other factors (location, tuition, etc) for a final decision.

I been to Case, not Temple, both are good - it's down to what you want.

Good Luck

Temple has rigorous clinical training because of the need for dental care where it is located...there is a large, underserved population immediately surrounding the school (the low income section of philly). There would never be a shortage of patients!

Members don't see this ad :)
NCdds said:
Temple has rigorous clinical training because of the need for dental care where it is located...there is a large, underserved population immediately surrounding the school (the low income section of philly). There would never be a shortage of patients!

That does NOT equate to "rigorous clinical training".

ItsGavinC said:
That does NOT equate to "rigorous clinical training".

Watch out gavin. Dr.BadVibes is on patrol tonight.

NCdds said:

Not only that. During my interview at Temple, I learn that students there have to do all the lab work for their patients. Most of other schools would off load these tasks to private lab. I am not sure that doing all this lab work is really an advantage to student though.

I would say go for Temple personally. Philly is such a great city, full of so much to do and in such a great location with regards to driving distance from New York, Washington, Baltimore, etc. Also, Temple has such a great reputation clinically in the entire dental community; both my dad and uncle graduated from Temple dental and speak so highly of the education and training they recieved there; if you wanna be a GP it's a great school and top notch environment to learn everything you're going to need for your own practice.

delicious said:
Watch out gavin. Dr.BadVibes is on patrol tonight.

HAHAH...yah actually we have finals coming up so there is nothing happening tonight, so Im checking SDN periodically.....

but as far as Gavin's comments, I would like him to elaborate.....although I dont think its the only thing that would equate to a rigorous clinical education, I certaintly think it does...

jini said:
Not only that. During my interview at Temple, I learn that students there have to do all the lab work for their patients. Most of other schools would off load these tasks to private lab. I am not sure that doing all this lab work is really an advantage to student though.

Yep, your totally right....this is not very beneficial to the student...sure you will improve your hands skills, but its really not necessary, because you would never be doing your own lab work as a practicing dentist...this is a big negative about my school

Mo007 said:
Consider other factors (location, tuition, etc) for a final decision.

I been to Case, not Temple, both are good - it's down to what you want.

Good Luck

Both locations are pretty bad. Tuitions are about the same for out-of-state student. Anything else?

jini said:
Both locations are pretty bad. Tuitions are about the same for out-of-state student. Anything else?

I know that generally, Case and Temple are very similar but How is Case's clinical program? I know it has good technology, but does it have a lot of patients? Being the only school in Cleveland, I would guess yes, but do you know for sure? Did you talk to any seniors or recent grads there?

Dr.BadVibes said:
I know that generally, Case and Temple are very similar but How is Case's clinical program? I know it has good technology, but does it have a lot of patients? Being the only school in Cleveland, I would guess yes, but do you know for sure? Did you talk to any seniors or recent grads there?

Patient base doesn't always equate to a strong clinical program.

ItsGavinC said:
Patient base doesn't always equate to a strong clinical program.

can you elaborate on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.BadVibes said:

I did not have a chance to speak to any senior student at Case about their patient's pool; however, when touring the lab, it was completely empty. It could be that they all off for lunch. Can someone from Case confirm about your school patient's pool?

jini said:

Would you rather go to the rock 'n roll hall of fame or get a cheesesteak any time of day? I would choose cheesesteaks.

btw Go Bears! The voting better not get screwed up.

crazy_sherm said:
Would you rather go to the rock 'n roll hall of fame or get a cheesesteak any time of day? I would choose cheesesteaks.

btw Go Bears! The voting better not get screwed up.

I would not mind to have cheesesteaks once a while. :)
Yep, go Bears! And congratulation on UOP acceptant. I wish that UCSF give me a thumb up so that I don't have to make this hard decision.

Yes, we all know temple's clinical training is awesome. But what if your hoping to specialize and you didn't get into columbia, ucsf or michigan. Would it still be wise to go to temple over other schools that is not known for their academic or clinical such as NOVA, Loma Linda, CASE or UNLV?

sorry for the double post, but did anyone else find temple's deposit ridiculously large. $750 on top of another $750 in april? So that means I will be losing $1500 if I decide to go to another school in May. Is this how much it cost for the deposit of all dental schools?

Dr.BadVibes said:
HAHAH...yah actually we have finals coming up so there is nothing happening tonight, so Im checking SDN periodically.....

but as far as Gavin's comments, I would like him to elaborate.....although I dont think its the only thing that would equate to a rigorous clinical education, I certaintly think it does...

Well, having a lot of patients doesn't equal to anything being rigorous. It just equals a lot of patients, at least in my mind.

It might be said that you'll see lots of excellent procedures, but it might also be said that all the neat things will be shipped off to the post-doc programs within the school.

Also, all it takes is one or two really special patients and you'll have plenty of perio, prosth, endo, implants, etc. to do on them. These are "golden patients" because so many areas can be touched on in the course of their treatment.

Of course, one would think that a greater population would equate to a greater number of golden patients, but that probably isn't always the case.

KobeInnocent said:
Yes, we all know temple's clinical training is awesome.

And how do we all know that?

Perhaps what you mean to say is that a friend of a friend has mentioned it, or that the website says it, or that during interviews the adcom hints to this.

Then again, it might be true.

Just trying to help everybody make INFORMED decisions, not ones based on the internet/SDN rumor-mill.

KobeInnocent said:
sorry for the double post, but did anyone else find temple's deposit ridiculously large. $750 on top of another $750 in april? So that means I will be losing $1500 if I decide to go to another school in May. Is this how much it cost for the deposit of all dental schools?

BU wants $2000 then another $1000 a month later....

ItsGavinC said:
Well, having a lot of patients doesn't equal to anything being rigorous. It just equals a lot of patients, at least in my mind.

It might be said that you'll see lots of excellent procedures, but it might also be said that all the neat things will be shipped off to the post-doc programs within the school.

Also, all it takes is one or two really special patients and you'll have plenty of perio, prosth, endo, implants, etc. to do on them. These are "golden patients" because so many areas can be touched on in the course of their treatment.

Of course, one would think that a greater population would equate to a greater number of golden patients, but that probably isn't always the case.

Nothing in life is a guarantee Gavin, however, I look forward to being a clinical student and never having to worry about having patients...like Pi_Guy said about NYU in another thread, he is being begged to see more patients and he gets to see the craziest clinical cases, and this is the case at Temple as well. The more practice I get during my 4 years here, the more clinically proficient I am gonna be. Thus, I would say that more patients = more clinical proficiency. Would you agree with this?

Also, from talking to many senior students and recent Temple grads, the feelings are always the same:

There is nothing that you will treat during your dental career that you didnt treat at Temple. Therefore, instead of just reading about certain clinical cases in textbooks, I would rather treat them myself, so when I get out in the "real world", there is nothing that will suprise me and I feel that I will be miles ahead of other Class of 2008 dental graduates from other schools.

Although I do not attend Case(yet), I did talk to a few seniors about their patient pools. From what I hear, Case students get tons of patients. The senior I was talking to said he was booked for a few months solid. One thing that seems to appeal to me more to Case than Temple is that Case has Competancy exams vs Temple's requirement to do so many extractions, root canals, etc. Not everyone needs to pull out over 100 teeth to graduate at Case, if you can prove you can do it well thats all that matters. When I went to Temple to interview I talked to a few students. Some things that irritated them was the fact that they were seniors and they have not finished the requirements but were competant to perform them. So they were not going to graduate on time just because they could not find a patient to fulfil their "bean counting"

grinningrice said:
Although I do not attend Case(yet), I did talk to a few seniors about their patient pools. From what I hear, Case students get tons of patients. The senior I was talking to said he was booked for a few months solid. One thing that seems to appeal to me more to Case than Temple is that Case has Competancy exams vs Temple's requirement to do so many extractions, root canals, etc. Not everyone needs to pull out over 100 teeth to graduate at Case, if you can prove you can do it well thats all that matters. When I went to Temple to interview I talked to a few students. Some things that irritated them was the fact that they were seniors and they have not finished the requirements but were competant to perform them. So they were not going to graduate on time just because they could not find a patient to fulfil their "bean counting"

Excellent point! Its nice to see a predent actually taking this choice of a dental school seriously and not only going for the name or for any other superficial reasons.

You have stated something that is very much valid. However, it depends on how you look at the situation. For me, Im the type of guy that likes to consistently practice on things that require the use of my hands. I play the guitar and I always try and practice and practice the same songs and chords over and over again. Even after practicing the song for 10 times, I could play it with no problems, but I still want to keep on practicing it until it becomes natural to me. Thats how I personally become more competent and which is why I chose Temple, because I want to do as many procedures as I can.

however, for other people who are really good with their hands naturally would be pissed off with Temple's system, because after doing 10 extractions, any more would make no difference, so having to complete the rest would be a nuisance. This I can agree with.

Its good that you pointed this out. :thumbup:

Dr.BadVibes said:
Excellent point! Its nice to see a predent actually taking this choice of a dental school seriously and not only going for the name or for any other superficial reasons.

You have stated something that is very much valid. However, it depends on how you look at the situation. For me, Im the type of guy that likes to consistently practice on things that require the use of my hands. I play the guitar and I always try and practice and practice the same songs and chords over and over again. Even after practicing the song for 10 times, I could play it with no problems, but I still want to keep on practicing it until it becomes natural to me. Thats how I personally become more competent and which is why I chose Temple, because I want to do as many procedures as I can.

however, for other people who are really good with their hands naturally would be pissed off with Temple's system, because after doing 10 extractions, any more would make no difference, so having to complete the rest would be a nuisance. This I can agree with.

I also believe in practice; however, if it interferes with my ability to graduate on time, then I might have to think twice.

jini said:
I also believe in practice; however, if it interferes with my ability to graduate on time, then I might have to think twice.

Keep in mind Jini that not graduating on time is very rare at Temple...personally, I have never heard of it and most of my friends are juniors and seniors....

Dr.BadVibes said:
Keep in mind Jini that not graduating on time is very rare at Temple...personally, I have never heard of it and most of my friends are juniors and seniors....

That's good to know. Thanks for clearing it up.

grinningrice said:

actually...we do have competency exams in each department....on top of all the requirements...

Dr.BadVibes said:

rarely are two extractions or procedures the same though..it doesn't always have to do with whether you're good with your hands,...it has more to do with how well you can manage your patient and all the different scenarios that may happen during the procedure. it might look like a routine extraction but maybe part of the tooth has ankylosed to the bone and you can't see it. maybe there's more granulation tissue underneath the tooth that would cause excessive bleeding afterwards. I maybe it's harder to do a class V on one person than another b/c he/she salivates too much it's hard to get good isolation..

cusp of carabelli said:
rarely are two extractions or procedures the same though..it doesn't always have to do with whether you're good with your hands,...it has more to do with how well you can manage your patient and all the different scenarios that may happen during the procedure. it might look like a routine extraction but maybe part of the tooth has ankylosed to the bone and you can't see it. maybe there's more granulation tissue underneath the tooth that would cause excessive bleeding afterwards. I maybe it's harder to do a class V on one person than another b/c he/she salivates too much it's hard to get good isolation..

Excellent point I forgot to mention...another reason why I think Temple's system of clinical requirements is superior to Case's system of only doing competency exams...

EVERY PATIENT IS DIFFERENT and I would like the opportunity to be able to treat as many different cases as I can

could someone who's attending case post their class schedule?

I was just curious, does anyone know which school is considered more prestigeous Case or Temple?

grinningrice said:
I was just curious, does anyone know which school is considered more prestigeous Case or Temple?

I would say that within the dental community, both schools have excellent reputations

haven't we agreed that prestige is entirely subjective? i do agree that both schools have good reputations within the dental community, but if you are looking for the traditional prestige that will get you instant oohs and aahs from the average person, you can't use dental community prestige as your standard. for instance i think we could all agree that UOP is a great school - but ask anyone not involved with dentistry and i guarantee they have never heard of it and won't appreciate if you got into that program. there is no real way, even within the dental community to say which is "better." they're both really damn good programs - end of story.

Biogirl361 said:
could someone who's attending case post their class schedule?

This is for the second term:

Masticatory Dynamics (M,W: 8-10; W: 10-12)
Professional Development (M: 10-11)
Critical Thinking (M: 11-12; W: 1-3)
Physiology (M: 1-3; F: 8-10)
Intro to Densim (M: 3-5)
Oral Histology (T, Thr: 8-12) Until 2/25
Microbiology (T: 1-4)
BP Fixed (T, Thr: 8-12) From 2/28
Neurobiology (Thr: 3-5)
Perio Clinic (F: 10-12)

so you only have traditional class until 5 twice a week and on fridays you have a half day. very nice! :) thanks for posting. :thumbup:

jessUMD said:
haven't we agreed that prestige is entirely subjective? i do agree that both schools have good reputations within the dental community, but if you are looking for the traditional prestige that will get you instant oohs and aahs from the average person, you can't use dental community prestige as your standard. for instance i think we could all agree that UOP is a great school - but ask anyone not involved with dentistry and i guarantee they have never heard of it and won't appreciate if you got into that program. there is no real way, even within the dental community to say which is "better." they're both really damn good programs - end of story.

well said :thumbup:

Yes, many of the upper classmen say that the 1st semester of 1st year is the worst and after that it gets better and better. But that is their opinion, and I am not yet in 2nd year to evaluate the 2nd year classes.

Biogirl361 said:
so you only have traditional class until 5 twice a week and on fridays you have a half day. very nice! :) thanks for posting. :thumbup:

Biogirl361 said:

We had plenty of time off during our first term each week also. It was much better schedule than our second term with less classes.

The Musketeer and I are just couple of lowly freshmans, we can't comment on our school's clinical training or share our experience.

The bad neighborhood is located half mile away on the east side of Case's campus. There are plenty of cheap apartments within walking distance to dental school on the west and up the hill and all of them are safe. I don't have to drive in the morning everyday especially on the snow day.

One good clinical aspect about Case is that in the 3rd and 4th year, every student will get their own operatory. This way, you will not have to share or fight for time with other students for a chair.

HuyetKiem said:
The Musketeer and I are just couple of lowly freshmans, we can't comment on our school's clinical training or share our experience.

Biogirl361 said:

Actually only once a week. Neurobiology on thursday from 1-3 PM till 2/25. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: