Case Vs. Mt Sinai, need some opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exmike

NOR * CAL
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I need some more help in addition to all the good stuff SDN has given me so far.

I'm into Case and listed at Sinai, and I have another semester in a MS program at georgetown (the SMP). It'll cost me another 12k in tuition at georgetown, and aside from the prep for med school that the program will give me, the only other strong incentive to stay is to be able to send updates to schools im waitlisted at. Sinai is the only school that I feel I have a good shot at, and that I might choose over Case.

I've heard that the Sinai list is ranked so maybe sending grade updates wont really help me.

The 12,000 dollar question is whether or not Sinai is worth another semester at Georgetown for whatever chance I have of getting in. Is it lame to even want to go to Sinai over Case Western? Thanks for the input in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Damn Mike, I'm really sorry to hear about Sinai. I was rooting for you to get in.

Well, Case versus Sinai:

With Case, you can do your clinicals at the Cleveland Clinic (big plus).
Case has more NIH funding then Sinai.
Both are pass/fail first 2 years.

Case is in Cleveland vs Sinai in NYC ;)

I liked Case alot too and I think I may go there over Sinai.

Originally posted by Kashue
Damn Mike, I'm really sorry to hear about Sinai. I was rooting for you to get in.

Well, Case versus Sinai:

With Case, you can do your clinicals at the Cleveland Clinic (big plus).
Case has more NIH funding then Sinai.
Both are pass/fail first 2 years.

Case is in Cleveland vs Sinai in NYC ;)

I liked Case alot too and I think I may go there over Sinai.

I'll go where you go :p

For some reason I dont feel like I'll get in off the Sinai list. $12k isnt chump change either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mike,

I think you should continue your studies only if you really want to do it. 12K is lots of money (at least for me) and may not even mean that much to MSSM.

I believe that you should wait a couple of weeks and think if MSSM is really your first choice. If so, you can write a very sincere LOI and call every once in a while. In addition, I would deliver the LOI in person.

Lastly, I know a student at MSSM who informed me that their waitlist moves a lot. A great number of students come off the waitlist every year.

Best of luck!

Mike,

I think you need to determine whether the Gtown program will be a significant factor in getting you into Mt. Sinai, and we'll need some Sinai experts to answer that! However, I feel you could use your time and money in something else (research, job, volunteer & travel etc) that may equally assist you off the W'list.

Another factor could be future interview schools that may want to see further coursework. At my Stony Brook interview I was told that thank you letters were worthless (to him perhaps) but transcript updates can be helpful. But that is a datapoint from one school.

I think if you see yourself attending Case, then with a "bird in hand" I'd keep $12K in the other hand... I mean thats a car! and roll the dice on the wait list game.

G'Luck!

DON'T SPEND THE 12,000$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's only December. You still have a great chance of getting off the waitlist without spending the $$. Spend 2K on it on a trip to Europe instead of class and save the rest (you'll need it for tuition)

exmike,

Look at it this way: Let's assume that doing the last semester at G-Town GUARANTEED you a spot at MSSM. Would you spend 12,000 to get into MSSM over Case (which is already in hand). I think the relative rankings of the schools are immaterial at this point - both are comparable and well respected. So, you have to decide whether MSSM is worth an extra 12,000 - AND, that's assuming that the extra 12,000 guarantees you a spot.

This decision is not to be taken lightly. Some could not imagine spending four years in Cleveland, whereas NYC is a dream (for some).

If it were me, I'd save the 12 grand. But if I loved NYC and didn't much care for Cleveland, I'd spend the 12 grand IF the spot were guaranteed. Seeing as how the extra semester may have no bearing on whether you get into MSSM, I'd be inclined to skip it, and hope I got into MSSM anyway. I don't put much stock in extra grades, etc. Everybody they have admitted and have put on the waitlist is smart. An extra semester, in my opinion, will do little to set yourself apart.

Anyway, if you go to Case, there's a good chance I'll see you there (and kashue too, perhaps).

Judd

exmike,

i seriously doubt the sinai admissions crew has time to look at your new transcript.

only finish the program if you want the degree. sinai will take you based on the merits of your application to date, interview, and level of interest. (trust me!)

personally, i'd choose to go to sinai. keep your fingers crossed.

I've heard that reaching a 1000 posts on SDN could get you off the 'List, but I can't confirm... :)

Hey exmike, did you list that you were getting an MS from Georgetown on your AMCAS application? If so, is that binding? Because there's a chem minor that I have no interest in finishing... if there's a possibility that I could wiggle out of it though, it would be music to my ears. How do you go about doing that?

tf

Originally posted by TheFlash
Hey exmike, did you list that you were getting an MS from Georgetown on your AMCAS application? If so, is that binding? Because there's a chem minor that I have no interest in finishing... if there's a possibility that I could wiggle out of it though, it would be music to my ears. How do you go about doing that?

tf

dude, me too. i just need one more chem course for my minor, but i'm too lazy to do it... man... what would happen if i forgo my chem minor?

I forgot about that. If there was EVER a hard and fast rule that the med schools stick to, it is this one: You MUST finish a degreed program that you are enrolled in when you applied to medical school. Pretty much no if ands or buds about it.

I think the minor in Blah blah is not as important. You'll still bee getting a BS or BA.

But to be enrolled in a MS program when applying and then dropping out will probably result in a forfeiture of your spot.

Judd

Come on you gotta get into Mount Sinai sooner or later, or else = your psychic power is not good = I won't get into Columbia :D

Hey Human is selfish, that's why we're called human...:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Staying may not help you get to MSSM, but it will definitely cost you 12K and a semester that may have been better spent on vacation (where the 12K will come in handy).

good luck!

my acceptance letter from case said my admission was contingent on my completing my current degree program. did yours not say that?

Hey exmike--

Sorry about the MSSM waitlist. But the good news is, you have an acceptance to a v. good school!!

lyra

mike;

i'd choose sinai cause of its location; i think both are excellent schools in their own right

you really would need to double check with schools you're interested in to make sure that your acceptance isn't pending completion at gtown like others suggested. a lot of people in the program last year had to stick around because of that.

i'm pretty sure that you'll have to finish though..but ...

just in terms of finishing the program; i'd finish and get the masters-not because it would help you get in to other schools but because you're gonna learn so much more next semester

by taking medical physiology and neuroscience you'll be way ahead of the gang next year; you might get burnt out but i think it will be worth it; i learned so much the second semester and i know it will come back to me next year; i thought i would hate neuro but it ended up being my favorite class

its tough but it will be worth it

also you might even hear from some CA schools, it is pretty early in terms of SMP...the chosen few (or single person) who got in to usc; got in during the spring/late winter after the first physiology exam

i know 12k isn't exactly loose change; but you've already endured the first half; just finish up the rest...believe me it will be worth it!

if you got any more questions let me know!...

Hey thanks for the input everyone.

I guess I'd have to consider the requirement to finish the masters program I'm currently enrolled in. However, I already have an MPH and some schools seemed to ignore the fact that I'm in a different program now with respects to having to finish it.

The CWRU letter said that I just had to finish my "prerequisites" I believe, so kwanny maybe dropping that minor will be OK.

Calbee and lyragrl, well there is still that small chance I'll get off the waitlist right?

I think I would prefer MSSM simply because of location, although I think i would be perfectly happy going to CWRU. I lucky enough to have that option, I guess the decision regarding spending 12K for my second semester really boils down to whether or not I want the MS degree. The consensus seems to be that the 12k wont really affect the outcome of my MSSM waitlist.

So ignoring all this other stuff, what do you guys think of just MSSM vs. Case, which one would you guys go to?

Originally posted by exmike

So ignoring all this other stuff, what do you guys think of just MSSM vs. Case, which one would you guys go to?

I'm leaning towards Case myself, maybe NorthWestern depending on how my visit + interviews go. Then again, I guess it's going to depend on financial Aid. I've lived in the city all of my life and I guess for me, a change of scenery would be good. Sinai is hmm an ok school, but they have dissapointed me lately.

Adding something:

I'm not too terribly surprised on the waitlist by Sinai exmike. Sinai is numbers driven despite what they tell you. They care about their U.S. news rankings and aim to keep a 3.6ish/32-33 MCAT average of the entering class. Two friends of mine, one currently a post doc at Sinai, got their PHDs from Sinai's grad school and both were rejected from Sinai's medical school. Their downfall? Their MCATs were low: one had 27 and the other 28.

Originally posted by TheFlash

tf

now about the minors...
at least at berkeley, minors are something that i can decide to pursue or not complete. berkeley wont know that i am even working towards a minor unless i visit someone in the department i am minoring and letting them know that i have done the classes that are required to get it.

whether or not you finish does nothing when it comes to med school admissions. it wont say on your transcript that you did not complete a minor.

so i would assume that not completing a minor will do nothing.

now for mike...

i think that you should call up mssm and see if you have to finish that program. my friend was getting an MS at SD and all his acceptances were contingent on whether or not he finished his MS program.

if they say that it doesnt matter then personally id ditch it.
case and mssm are both awesome.

my opinion prolly means nothing because i havent interviewed at either place. i just get better vibes from case. i remember when a doctor from case would come to berk for the med school fairs telling us why we should apply to case...and out of all the reps there...he was easily the most informative, happiest and enthusiastic...you can totally tell he loved his time at case. even convinced me that cleveland wasnt as bad as it sounded. and i just remember thinking to myself. wow i am definitely applying here.

dont have much of an opinion on mssm other than what ive heard on sdn and their website. so cant say much here.
however i lived in ny for about 10 years...and tho it was fun and nice, i think its a much better place to visit than it is to live. just me tho.

Originally posted by DannGee
my acceptance letter from case said my admission was contingent on my completing my current degree program. did yours not say that?

My Case letter says "The only condition attached is that you must complete satisfactorily any pending academic requirements"

I read that to mean that I had to finish any prerequisites. It didn't specify anything about the degree. What do you think?

My Case letter says "The only condition attached is that you must complete satisfactorily any pending academic requirements"

I read that to mean that I had to finish any prerequisites. It didn't specify anything about the degree. What do you think?

Whatever the heck that means, i just hope it doesn't mean i gotta stick with my chem minor... cuz i kissed it goodbye like it was like no other... ;)

Originally posted by kwanny
Whatever the heck that means, i just hope it doesn't mean i gotta stick with my chem minor... cuz i kissed it goodbye like it was like no other... ;)

perhaps I should change my prophecy for kwanny so he'll be forced to attend Case with me.

I'll go where you go :p

For some reason I dont feel like I'll get in off the Sinai list. $12k isnt chump change either.

Definelty find out if they require you to finsih your masters, if not and you really don't want to get the degree..than save the money and chill...

Second...NEVER EVER give UP...it is very early in the game now and you never know what will happen..stay positive..

I will be crossing my fingers for you:clap: :clap:

"pending academic requirements" sounds like getting the degree, but check to make sure. good luck!

Originally posted by docquaker
"pending academic requirements" sounds like getting the degree, but check to make sure. good luck!

whats up with the nebulous wording case!! damn, i guess ill call them.