Case Reports and Literature Reviews in Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IzzyMD09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the two has more clout?:confused:
On a CV ?

does any one have any links for the format of a lit review in a medical journal

thanks

izzy

Members don't see this ad.

At least in the ENT literature, a case report may introduce a literature review. I've published 3 case reports that were also literature reviews and they were all well-received by the editor in chief. Though they were technically case reports, because of the lit review, the journals they got published in considered them original research which is cool.

Lit reviews alone are almost never publishable unless you are invited to write one by the journal (at least in ENT). I've tried that and failed. Also, pure lit reviews are usually found in only 3rd and 4th tier journals....ie, Clinics of North America, Current Opinion, etc.

If I had to choose, case report WITH lit review is best on a CV because you can get it published in a better journal. Second best option would be case report alone.

Regarding format, all journals have their specific format somewhere in the beginning of a journal or on their website (usually entitled, "Instructions for Authors").

Let me give you a little more background and tell me what you think,

Sooooooo the doctor I am doing this for is working on this correlation between a non-derm disorder, and a derm disorder, and apparently at several derm conferences in the states he has brought this correlation up to several important people, and by important people I mean the editor in chief of JAAD who is actually leaving at the end of 2007, conicidentally this editor in chief man is infatuated with the research the doctor i am doing this for is doing, that was a mouthful, so i guess thats kind of an invitation, plus the last literature on the topic was over 12 years ago, and most articles concerning the topic (only 11) have come after 1997,

I guess I was asking because I had another MD having me work on a case report, that was just not well established because of the missing middle doctor

so i finished the case report except for the discussion because I need the middle doc to fill in the missing pieces, and i was just wondering if it was wise to table the case report for the lit review, also post lit-review i will be writing 2 follow-up research articles, so hopefully those go out too,

gotta get my writing **** together, im a lowly MSII FMG with no chance in hell in matching in derm (according to most on this forum) so i am just trying to do all i can before the USMLE so i can get my hands even more dirty post step I

thanks again for the advice, let me know if you have any more

izzy

Let me give you a little more background and tell me what you think,

Sooooooo the doctor I am doing this for is working on this correlation between a non-derm disorder, and a derm disorder, and apparently at several derm conferences in the states he has brought this correlation up to several important people, and by important people I mean the editor in chief of JAAD who is actually leaving at the end of 2007, conicidentally this editor in chief man is infatuated with the research the doctor i am doing this for is doing, that was a mouthful, so i guess thats kind of an invitation, plus the last literature on the topic was over 12 years ago, and most articles concerning the topic (only 11) have come after 1997,

I guess I was asking because I had another MD having me work on a case report, that was just not well established because of the missing middle doctor

so i finished the case report except for the discussion because I need the middle doc to fill in the missing pieces, and i was just wondering if it was wise to table the case report for the lit review, also post lit-review i will be writing 2 follow-up research articles, so hopefully those go out too,

gotta get my writing **** together, im a lowly MSII FMG with no chance in hell in matching in derm (according to most on this forum) so i am just trying to do all i can before the USMLE so i can get my hands even more dirty post step I

thanks again for the advice, let me know if you have any more

izzy

Seems to me that there is more politics involved than actual concerns about publishable material. If I were you, do what you can to finish something. If there is a missing MD, than that person is missing. You can't do anything about it. Move on to something you can do. Once that missing MD appears, that finish the case report as well.

In other words, do what you are able to do right now and put on hold the things you aren't able to finish due to external forces.

I'm empathize your position. Not an easy one to be in, especially as a medical student.