Caribbean vs. International Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgiapparatus88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering how going to a Caribbean school such as SGU or Ross compare to say The University of Syndey? I know SGU/Ross can get overcrowded and getting into top residencies may be hard to do. Is it just as hard graduating from an international school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If u want a US residency then the caribbean is your friend. Australia is great for Australia. At best you can attend a few electives in the US and you are on your own for the USMLE, while in the caribbean you do all your third and fourth year clinicals in US hospitals and the curriculum is catered towards helping you succeed on the USMLE which is key for residency.

Thanks! So my next question is why do people make it seem like you get a bad education in a Caribbean school if you spend your 3rd and 4th years in the US?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you get a fantastic shot at becoming an MD and with a good residency if you go to a good caribbean school. However if you are American, are happy with staying in the US forever for practice, and you won't mind the DO degree, then go ahead and get a DO because it will be cheaper and probably less headache and suffering.. But if you are Canadian or an international then no question the caribbean will do the trick and more.

you know there is a lot of negativity here in the forums. But people come from all over the world (middle east, india, china, etc), and they become physicians and end up with a great career .. and most of them never do a rotation in the US.. so obviously someone who spends two years in American hospitals will have a huge advantage over all those IMGs.. and Internal Medicine is great. Gastroenterology is a cash cow. So don't let people fool you by saying you can't get a good residency. (of course IM is not all you can get if you want better)

wagy27

i think what you say is valid mostly for the none-big 4 caribbean schools and those that are very sketchy. But if one goes to any of the big 4.. (and if you can't even make it there then maybe you really shouldn't go anywhere else), then i don't think all of those points really remain valid.

1. the quality of the education for the big 4 must follow a certain standard since they are accredited in all 50 states. I don't know what the licensing body is.. But on another note.. People graduate from REALLY crappy medical schools all over the world but they still study hard and work hard in their clinical years and they become US physicians with a great practice. The examples are countless. I'm pretty sure the basic science education in the caribbean universities and even the crappy ones is going to be better than those elsewhere.. considering you are studying in English and American curriculum and textbooks.. people out there study Medicine in Arabic and other languages and have to study American books on their own time and still manage to be successful.. i think it will take a real lazy person not be able to utilize the advantage of the carib with their American curriculum.

2. So? you are there to study your ass off and you should know your abilities. If your goal is to avoid failing then you shouldn't go to begin with. The good student should not be concerned with these attrition rates. Plus all medical schools in the world fail their students.. it's only in the US and Canada where you pay an insane amount of money for your education is where they never fail you.. otherwise the confidence in the whole system will crumble and it will be a disaster.. but that fact (of not failing) on its own is not really something to be proud of.

3. fine so only go to the good ones.

4. At the big 4 you can do all your cores and probably all your electives as greenbook rotations and many times at great clinical centers with academic affiliations.

5. Alright what's wrong with that again? they prepare you to score well knowing that you are already running against the tide.. that's a great thing unless i'm missing something

6. i think "severely limiting" is a really big word. If anything it seems the residency spots will increase and if anything the carib will always be at an advantage as compared to the hundreds of other IMGs.

I'm going to agree with what wagy said and hound on it again: Don't go to a medical school outside of the US if your intention is to practice in the US later on.

Yes, there are prestigious Western Europen, Australian, and Japanese medical schools that are considered "better" than carribbean medical schools. But it's usually a lot harder to get into those schools and even harder to match into a US residency afterwards because the curriculum at those schools do not prepare students for the USMLE. If your intention is to practice in the US, you're better off going to a US medical school. If that isn't possible, SGU, Ross, or one of the big 4s is better than one of those International Schools.

As for the other points that wagy expounded upon:

1. Totally agree - no real oversight

2. The graduation rate from Ross was higher than 30% I believe (closer to 50% in 4 years and about 66% after 6 years) - that being said, it's still terribly low compared to US schools (which have 95+% graduation rate after 4 years). Chances are, there are going to be at least a few who graduated who are unable to match due to low USMLE scores or other problems.

3. Yeah, the Big 4 are pretty good (for right now). But who knows how good their reputations are going to be 20 years from now when the residency spots get squeezed and they lower their admissions standards to continue drawing more students.

4. There are going to be varying levels of debates about this but from what I've heard, but the quality of rotational sites that certain caribbean schools allocate just aren't up to the same standard as US medical centers that AMG rotate at. The students can take electives and rotate where they choose, but as wagy pointed out, the rotations sites form the core of medical education and it's problem that isn't confined to the Carribbean schools (newer DO schools also suffer from this problem as well)

5. I don't think that you can say scoring +20 points higher on the USMLE means that you're equal to an AMG. Again, every residency program does things differently and it also depends the perceived educational quality of the medical school. If a residency program is biased against FMG or Carribbean school grads (or simply had a very negative experience with a resident who graduated from a carribbean school), not USMLE is going to make up for it.

6. Future residency spots are not going to increase (or at least not increase in proportion to huge flux of medical school graduates) - you can be as sure about this as death and taxes.

5. I don't think that you can say scoring +20 points higher on the USMLE means that you're equal to an AMG.

you are right. you are probably better. of course this is unrelated to how residency programs perceive you.

Thinker, I think you're in a bit of denial. Caribbean grads are generally discriminated against by US PD's as unfairly as that may seem. No one here is saying one is better than the other, we are just presenting to you the facts and statistics. Some obvious points:

1. If you ever are trying to decide between US MD or DO vs. Caribbean, that shouldn't even be a choice in my opinion.

2. The informative posts from before have stated the attrition rates which are probably more due to the decreased quality of applicants accepted by carib schools.

3. When people say Big 4, they only mean that when comparing to other caribbean schools. The crummiest US school will still be far and away better in terms of the ultimate goal which is attaining a residency of your choice in a desirable location.

4. Residency spot are NOT increasing, let me repeat that again, they are NOT increasing. GME training is funded by Medicare and if you haven't noticed Medicare is kinda going down the pooper. Funding has been incrementally cut year by year in the recent past and possibly for the foreseeable future. There is not enough money to train more docs. At the same time, someone mentioned this, but the number of schools and hence students graduating from US schools is increasing by way of both new schools opening up and larger class sizes for existing schools. It's going to be tougher and tougher for FMG, IMG to grab ANY kind of US residency spot much less a competitive field.

I also noticed you're a pre-med from canada and not to insult your intelligence but you should probably take heed of advice given to you by people in med school and residency currently in the US. You might have a biased view if more Canadiens are taking the Carib route since it's hard, i've heard, to get accepted into a school in Canada or US from Canada. You can lead a horse to the river, but you can't make him drink.

Thanks pingpongmaster

It's not my intention to argue for the sake of argument or say that carib schools are better because of course they are not.. I would love to actually get people's advice on these matters.

But if you are Canadian (and also in my case Middle Eastern), then the DO is no good for me because I wish to be able to practice all over the world. Or at least keep the option available. Ontario is extremely difficult (fellow applicants who got into amazing US schools got rejected from Ottawa for example!) and the US didn't work out for me (33MCAT, ~3.45 undergrad and 4.0 M.Sc.).. so the only viable options are now Australia, Caribbean, and Irish schools. Irish schools and Australian schools are more difficult to fund in my particular situation than Carib schools (which happen to cater to the US system).. so that's really the only option.

I think that if you were one of those borderline applicants who have the ability to succeed in med school but couldn't make it then the caribbean will do the trick.. If you already have a history for terrible school performance then it's a recipe for a financial disaster I agree.

Thanks pingpongmaster

It's not my intention to argue for the sake of argument or say that carib schools are better because of course they are not.. I would love to actually get people's advice on these matters.

But if you are Canadian (and also in my case Middle Eastern), then the DO is no good for me because I wish to be able to practice all over the world. Or at least keep the option available. Ontario is extremely difficult (fellow applicants who got into amazing US schools got rejected from Ottawa for example!) and the US didn't work out for me (33MCAT, ~3.45 undergrad and 4.0 M.Sc.).. so the only viable options are now Australia, Caribbean, and Irish schools. Irish schools and Australian schools are more difficult to fund in my particular situation than Carib schools (which happen to cater to the US system).. so that's really the only option.

I think that if you were one of those borderline applicants who have the ability to succeed in med school but couldn't make it then the caribbean will do the trick.. If you already have a history for terrible school performance then it's a recipe for a financial disaster I agree.

What I would believe is that Caribbean will definitely increase your chances of getting into a US residency. They train you 2 years of solid USMLE material and send you to hospitals for 2 clinical years. That's their good.

But unlike Australian, Irish, England, Asian, or medical schools in Israel, they don't train you to become a doctor, they train you to take the tests. Their goal is to secure a residency, other international schools may not be USMLE oriented (duh, they're not going to train doctors to ship them overseas when they obviously need doctors of their own - they want their own doctors to stay in their countries), but they do train you better with their own complete facilities, faculties, and programs. They are basically US medical school quality or better except in a different country, their own country.

Caribbean medical schools train you 2 years for the USMLE (over 80% solid USMLE material) then send you to the US for clinical rotations. While it may seem like it's better (and probably is for securing residencies), you should understand that they lack their own facilities and hospitals to train their own students and they're sending them there because of that and it "just happens to be an advantage to get US Letters of recommendations". They train you to take tests not to become good doctors, and they are basically just cram courses with the name of a school. They don't put out extra effort to teach you other unique experiences and knowledge of doctors that may not be on tests, but will be useful when you're practicing.

And tuition of Australian medical schools aren't all that bad, probably except for Sydney and Melbourne, but that's because they're in the two biggest cities in Australia. University of Queensland, Flinders, ANU all have around 45K, which is basically what tuition fees US medical schools are. And they aren't too hard to get in. UQ as far as I know accepted all students with MCATs of 8-8-8-M (24M) or higher.

Also, they allow you to substitute MCAT for GAMSAT scores, which is also a good thing. They have quality medical schools that train you to become good doctors with a good medical school experience rather than train you to become an automated test taker. They incorporate PBL, teach you not just science, but how to become a patient friendly doctor, etc etc. I'm not saying Caribbean medical schools don't do that, but they don't focus on those themes.

Hope I'm not being too biased, as I'm definitely hoping to secure an Australian medical school (I love their curriculum and their curriculum themes and focus). Caribbean medical schools have their good side, but their good is not what I want. I want to become a good doctor with a unique training experience that Caribbean medical schools can't get me, even if I can't return to the US to practice medicine. And overall, I want a true international experience where I can study hard, yes, but where the international experience is not all about studying or taking tests and I can learn about new cultures and places and see medicine from a whole new perspective, and these experiences are all something Caribbean medical schools can't really give me.

But I'm still leaving the Caribbean route open. It's a last resort, but it's still on my list. In case I can't into Australia with my 30Q (I sure hope not!), I'll apply for SGU, SABA, etc. (Can't apply for US med schools because I didn't complete any undergraduate coursework in the states, not even DO schools).

Raigon, so you think that a a US citizen, I would be a better trained physician if I went over to Australia? Since it seems that Caribbean and Australian schools cost about the same, I think what it's going to come down to is if I want to do self-study for the USMLE or not. If I can handle studying for the test myself, wouldn't it make more sense to go over to Australia/International and get better training?

Oh..but that means it'll be harder for me to get a residency back over in the US huh?

If you're a us citizen why don't you try for a us school. That's probably where you'll get the best training should you want to stay for residency. Keep in mind though more than likely if you decide to go the international route it will be a primary care field and nothing wrong with that unless you had something else in mind. Surgical fields are extremely difficult for img and fmg and things like rads and derm and next to impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ Believe me, that's my first choice. I'll go to any med school I get into.. I'm just trying to think ahead in case something goes wrong. I'm going to be a doc no matter what so I want to know all my options :)

Raigon, so you think that a a US citizen, I would be a better trained physician if I went over to Australia? Since it seems that Caribbean and Australian schools cost about the same, I think what it's going to come down to is if I want to do self-study for the USMLE or not. If I can handle studying for the test myself, wouldn't it make more sense to go over to Australia/International and get better training?

Oh..but that means it'll be harder for me to get a residency back over in the US huh?

Not to be biased, but as general knowledge, Caribbean Medical Schools train you to take tests. Australian Medical Schools, Israel Medical Schools, and England/Ireland medical schools train you to become decent physicians.

If you think you'll have a hard time taking the USMLEs, but can handle becoming a good doctor on your own, then go for the Caribbean. If, however, like most people, you think you can study the USMLEs on your own, but want a training program that will give you solid basic training as well as a wonderful, unique, international medical experience, go for one of the those medical schools above. Most people can self-study the USMLEs on their own - there are tons of material, online prep-courses to aid you.

But training yourself to become a doctor isn't all about taking tests. You have US citizenship - it's easier for US IMGs than for non-US IMGs to get citizenship because you have a slight hometurf advantage. You do however need a higher USMLE score than average AMGs because they still have higher home-turf advantage than you because they graduated from an American Medical School.

I chose Australia because it's decent, but it's not overly expensive. UK/Ireland have good medical schools, but you'll have like 3 times the debt of an American medical school graduate. Israel, well, not to be prejudiced, but do you really want to be in a country surrounded by hostile middle-east countries that try to send suicide bombers every time they can? (again, not all arabs are bad - most are decent, just those damn red-necks).

With Australia, you can take US MCAT to substitute for their own medical school admissions test and they lower the entry requirements at the cost of US-medical school-like tuition fees, but slightly more expensive (not up to 2~3 times expensive though). Plus you can take US stafford and other federal loans to cover them - they're acknowledged by US fed loans so you can take student loans. You have to know though, Caribbean medical schools are much cheaper than US or Australian medical schools.

And Australia is just awesome. Awesome cities, awesome cultures, and kangaroos.

However, go for a program you think will be best. If you can, by all means, go for DO. It's the 2nd best option other than MD in the US. Even DO have a much greater advantage than the best IMGs.

Thank you so much for helping me out. I'll try everything in my power to stay in the US either as MD or DO but it's good to know there are so many other options. Thanks again.

Where did you hear Caribbean schools are cheaper than us schools because that's news to me. On the contrary Carib schools are much more expensive than even most private us schools. Tuition at sgu alone runs 50k+. I haven't heard of a us school with tuition more than 40k. I'm about to graduate from a state school where annual tuition hovered around 14k. Please don't spread false knowledge if you don't know something.

Where did you hear Caribbean schools are cheaper than us schools because that's news to me. On the contrary Carib schools are much more expensive than even most private us schools. Tuition at sgu alone runs 50k+. I haven't heard of a us school with tuition more than 40k. I'm about to graduate from a state school where annual tuition hovered around 14k. Please don't spread false knowledge if you don't know something.

Yeah you'll definitely be in debt around 250k if you go to SGU which is why if it comes down to it, I'd probably chose Aussie land.

you are right. you are probably better. of course this is unrelated to how residency programs perceive you.

That's not what I said at all. What I mean is that if you graduate from a foreign medical school, priority will be given to US medical school graduates first before foreign medical grads. That's how the medical reimbursement works. This would be like me trying to apply to a medical school in Canada. Even if I have a 4.0 GPA and a 40 MCAT, I probably wouldn't get accepted. Why? Because I'm not a Canadian citizen, I didn't go to college in Canada, and I don't have any ties with Canada. I'm outsider to the system. Priority is given to Canadian citizens first. It makes sense because they're the taxpayers and no matter how good my numbers are, I will not be considerd.

Yeah you'll definitely be in debt around 250k if you go to SGU which is why if it comes down to it, I'd probably chose Aussie land.

I'd just retake the MCAT, take post-bac classes to raise that GPA, beef up my application and reapply to both MD and DO schools rather than go overseas.

I'd just retake the MCAT, take post-bac classes to raise that GPA, beef up my application and reapply to both MD and DO schools rather than go overseas.

Yeah, I'm waiting till I graduate this May to start my hardcore MCAT studying.

I was under the impression that Caribbean medical schools were 30K a year. Look here:

http://www.studentdoc.com/st-george-medical-school.php

Annual tuition is 32k. I've got a brochure mailed to me from SGU when I emailed them a letter of interest. Yes I can confirm it. They are more affordable than most US medical schools in general.

And what are you talking about? There are lots of US schools over 40k a year. You're probably thinking about public schools, right? Private schools like Yale, Harvard, Albany, drexel are at least 40~45k. Tufts University is at 50K a year. Don't forget about Out of State students tuition for State universities.

Look here:

http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PRI&year_of_study=2010

These are cited sources. Please don't accuse someone of posting false information if you don't know if the information are false or not.

Last edited:
It depends on what you're talking about, expenses (total loan amount per semester) or just tuition alone.

At Ross, it's roughly $15k per semester for tuition. But when advising you, they recommend to request roughly 25k in loans for tuition, books, rent, air fair, food, etc. Myself, I'm not a big spender and I really don't go out as much as I should. I borrowed the full 25k just to be on the safe side and it looks like my expenses are going to fall way short.

I'm going to borrow a lot less in the coming semesters.

I was under the impression that Caribbean medical schools were 30K a year. Look here:

Annual tuition is 32k. I've got a brochure mailed to me from SGU when I emailed them a letter of interest. Yes I can confirm it. They are more affordable than most US medical schools in general.

And what are you talking about? There are lots of US schools over 40k a year. You're probably thinking about public schools, right? Private schools like Yale, Harvard, Albany, drexel are at least 40~45k. Tufts University is at 50K a year. Don't forget about Out of State students tuition for State universities.

Look here:

http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PRI&year_of_study=2010

These are cited sources. Please don't accuse someone of posting false information if you don't know if the information are false or not.

No that's not how you should calculate medical school tuition. $32,000 per year is on the steeper side for state schools in the US (most state schools tuition hover around $17,000-$30,000).

It is cheaper than most private schools. But here's the kicker: most private schools like Harvard, JHU, Yale, etc are extremely well-endowed and offer huge amounts of grants and scholarships. It is definitely possible for someone to get accepted to one of these schools and pay very little as a lot of the tuition costs are covered by these grants. Some of my friends who went to schools like Yale, UPitt, and UChicago reported that they received full ride scholarships or had to pay out only $10,000 per year after receiving their financial aid package. Yes, Carribbean schools offer scholarships as well, but not as generously as those private schools. A Carribbean school may offer merit scholarships to 10% of their class. Schools like Uchicago Pitt and Yale offer scholarships to what? 60-80% of their class for various academic and non-academic scholarships.

Look here:

This is straight from the SGU website.

http://www.sgu.edu/financial-services/som-tuition.html

Not exactly 50k+ like I said earlier but prett close. First two years add up collectively to 94570 for tuition only not including any fees or housing and food which I assume are fairly expensive considering you are on an island. Clinical years total 100k+ and living in new york which is where I hear the majority of people do their rotations is not cheap so you add all that up and it's not hard to believe you'd have more than 250K debt when it's all said and done. I'm more inclined to believe these numbers than that studentdoc website you posted. And I stand corrected on the US schools. Guess I just didn't realize how good I have it in terms of debt. Can't imagine having 200-250k of debt compared to about half of that I have currently. :eek:

In general it is unfair to say carib schools only prepare one to take the USMLE and do not prepare one to be a doctor.
First, one must pass the USMLE to become a physician in the US.
Second, once off the island, and in clinicals, a student receives training comparable to US schools.
Basically, the California List says it all. They have found the Big 4 education to be comparable and on par with education in the US.
That said, if I were to do it all over, I think the Australian and European schools would be very attractive.

This is straight from the SGU website.

http://www.sgu.edu/financial-services/som-tuition.html

Not exactly 50k+ like I said earlier but prett close. First two years add up collectively to 94570 for tuition only not including any fees or housing and food which I assume are fairly expensive considering you are on an island. Clinical years total 100k+ and living in new york which is where I hear the majority of people do their rotations is not cheap so you add all that up and it's not hard to believe you'd have more than 250K debt when it's all said and done. I'm more inclined to believe these numbers than that studentdoc website you posted. And I stand corrected on the US schools. Guess I just didn't realize how good I have it in terms of debt. Can't imagine having 200-250k of debt compared to about half of that I have currently. :eek:

Well, I guess it's safe to say that Caribbean medical schools are, on average, more affordable in terms of tuition. (On average). But then again, there is the fact that many private schools do have financial aid and scholarships - not all of them, though. Most US medical school graduates still have debts of 100~150K. Not up to 200~250k, but that's because aside from financial aid from scholarships, but most have financial support from their own savings (many worked for a few years before they go into med school) or family (spouse, parents, siblings, etc).

I apologize for being unclear, but I was only talking about tuition. Of course, Caribbean medical schools, like other international medical schools will have higher living expenses, housing, insurance,etc because... well, they're for internationals and you're not on home-turf. They don't give you discounts.

In general it is unfair to say carib schools only prepare one to take the USMLE and do not prepare one to be a doctor.
First, one must pass the USMLE to become a physician in the US.
Second, once off the island, and in clinicals, a student receives training comparable to US schools.
Basically, the California List says it all. They have found the Big 4 education to be comparable and on par with education in the US.
That said, if I were to do it all over, I think the Australian and European schools would be very attractive.

I suppose I was being a bit unfair towards Caribbean medical schools. I apologize for that. I guess it was because of the negative things I've heard from it, and not just on this site. My best friend from elementary school did not make it to a US med and he had to go to a Caribbean medical school - St. George to be exact - he did say that it was almost comparable to a cram school, focusing heavily on USMLE materials and and he complained that he didn't learn much about non-USMLE materials until he went to the US for clinical training. And he didn't like the fact that Caribbean medical schools accepts a lot of US medical school "rejects", because he felt like one himself.

On the other hand, he said the campus was beautiful, with a lot of beaches and a tropical climate he enjoyed. He said the faculty was friendly and so were the local natives. And he also mentioned it was cheaper, but that was because he had a 31P on his MCAT and got an SGU scholarship. And he had successful residency matching into general surgery because he scored higher on the USMLE than average 241/99, I think or roughly around that number I forgot. He's in his 2nd year of residency (forgot which hospital - haven't contacted him in a year, I could go ask again).

But then again, he also did mention that the SGU didn't train him for surgery - the US hospitals did since Grenada lacked the hospital facilities to train their students.

As I said, Caribbean medical schools do have their good and if I don't make it to an Australian medical school, I'll pick SGU/Ross/SABA, etc over going to post-bacc and reapplying for a US med. But I still stand firm in liking Australia better than Caribbean - first world country with superb medical training and their own superb programs and experience. Nothing not to like except for its expenses - expensive already and on the rise. Damn national debt!

Please dont assume that everyone else is wrong, when it's you who doesn't know anything.

I provided a source which proved my point. I also admitted I was wrong in not knowing something. As someone who is graduating soon, my overall point is to make all efforts to get into a U.S. MD/DO school as you will have the best chance of landing a residency spot in the U.S. even if it means taking a year or two off. All other Caribbean and international routes should be a last resort. There's no worse feeling than being in debt 250-300k and unable to land a specialty or residency of your choice.

There's no worse feeling than being in debt 250-300k and unable to land a specialty or residency of your choice.

That's true, I shudder to think what will happen if I don't get residency with a 250k debt on my back when I graduate and unable to pay it back. I could buy a house with that money :scared:. (Well, probably 10 years ago, now I need twice that much, but whatever).

However, even if they are costly, I still choose international medical schools over Caribbean. Below is a list of points I want to attend an international medical school (Australia for me, go Aussie!):

1. Better reputations: there are quite a few program directors of residency programs who will look more favorably upon top international schools in England, Australia, Israel or Asia (like Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, etc) and even South Africa than Caribbean medical schools. Sorry to say this, but there actually are program directors who look down on Caribbean medical schools to say it in softer terms and will accept international students over Caribbean medical schools because well... they're Caribbean medical school students. Some will go as far as accept almost anyone over you if they could simply because you're Caribbean. Caribbean medical school graduates have to rely mostly on scoring high in their USMLE and their 2 years of clinical rotations in the US to force the hands of the program directors. And they have better names globally than the infamous Caribbean medical schools, sorry to say, which means better footholds for future global practice.

2. Electives can match up to the 2 years clinical rotations that Caribbean medical schools give you: True that although Caribbean medical schools will give you 2 years, and there is a distinct advantage in terms of clinical years, you can arrange clinical electives and rotations on your own time during winter and summer breaks in international schools (contrary to some belief, there are winter and summer breaks in schools like in Australia). If you add up to about 4 months from winter/summer breaks, plus the 2 months overseas electives, you'll have 6 months. That's more than enough to know US hospital faculties and get letters of recommendations from US hospitals, which is the point of doing clinical rotations in the US.

3. Backup internships (fallback plans): Remember Caribbean medical students aim for US residency or bust. If you don't make it to a residency, you're screwed. A really good thing about the international route is that if you don't make it to a US residency, in many places, you can still aim to get internship spots in hospitals in the country of your medical school (because you're a graduate from their country, even if you are an international student, you are still on better standing than foreign graduates) as a backup plan. That way at least you can become a doctor.

4. Unique training and experience: A good way, as I said, to have a wonderful international medical experience that will give you a whole new perspective towards medicine that can definitely help you if you snatch a residency and become a doctor - you have cultural experiences and it's generally more fulfilling. The international experience is a unique feel that no Caribbean medical schools can hope to match.

5. As I stand corrected on the Caribbean costs, the international pathway isn't so bad: 40~50k a year is well... the general cost of medical school in Australia. That's not too bad, is it?

But you've made your point, if you want to go to a US school, go for MD/DO. If you can't make it, do a post-bacc and try again. It's better than any international route or Caribbean route.

My goal, however, is to travel around the world and experience new cultures and see medicine from different perspectives. I do want to return to the US, but it's not so bad that I'll do anything to go back. If I make it, hurray! I'm an American doctor! If not, ah well, I can always practice in Australia or elsewhere. Maybe in Switzerland or Africa.

I provided a source which proved my point. I also admitted I was wrong in not knowing something. As someone who is graduating soon, my overall point is to make all efforts to get into a U.S. MD/DO school as you will have the best chance of landing a residency spot in the U.S. even if it means taking a year or two off. All other Caribbean and international routes should be a last resort. There's no worse feeling than being in debt 250-300k and unable to land a specialty or residency of your choice.

I agree with you.

Please don't write arrogant statements where you, 1. insult someones intelligence, 2. tell people what to do, 3. do it with a smile and underhanded politeness.

Its just not nice. Its gonna get you into a fight someday. You obviously arent the only one who does this... Im just picking on you this time.

Carry on...

. Below is a list of points I want to attend an international medical school (Australia for me, go Aussie!):

1. Better reputations:....

One is better off going to an International school.

An international school is more respected because it's put there for the purpose of training its own doctors.... its not assumed or suggested that it's there as a business venture.

More of a practical issue - getting a liscense (either residency-training, or unrestricted). An international school will have its own teaching hospitals, rotations, clinical faculty, evauations, etc. You'll come back to the US with your MD, MBBS, whatever... in total. Getting a license will be MUCH easier.

If you go to a Carib school, your license application will be evaluated under the "completed clinical clerkships within the US" section of the state statute (there is such a section in most statutes). So here they will nit-pick each one of your clinical rotations...

to see if it is "greenbook" or "bluebook" (do a bluebook, and youre denied in ~18 states).....

to see if your school had a contract with the teaching hospital (in many states, contracts are a must, away-rotations get you denied)....

they can call the teaching hospital and talk to the rotation's supervisor, and decide for whatever reason that the rotation was inadequate......

etc. etc.

If you come back to the states with your medical degree completed, you just have to get ECFMG certified. If your degree is half Caribbean, half American, you are subject to a different standard, and be unable to do residency or practice in certain states. Even if you're sure of the rules in your state, you can't be sure where you'd land a resdency.

Carib is a last resort, if youd rather uproot your life and move wherever you can find work... rather than not be a doctor.

An international school is more respected because it's put there for the purpose of training its own doctors.... its not assumed or suggested that it's there as a business venture.

More of a practical issue - getting a liscense (either residency-training, or unrestricted). An international school will have its own teaching hospitals, rotations, clinical faculty, evauations, etc. You'll come back to the US with your MD, MBBS, whatever... in total. Getting a license will be MUCH easier.

If you go to a Carib school, your license application will be evaluated under the "completed clinical clerkships within the US" section of the state statute (there is such a section in most statutes). So here they will nit-pick each one of your clinical rotations...

to see if it is "greenbook" or "bluebook" (do a bluebook, and youre denied in ~18 states).....

to see if your school had a contract with the teaching hospital (in many states, contracts are a must, away-rotations get you denied)....

they can call the teaching hospital and talk to the rotation's supervisor, and decide for whatever reason that the rotation was inadequate......

etc. etc.

If you come back to the states with your medical degree completed, you just have to get ECFMG certified. If your degree is half Caribbean, half American, you are subject to a different standard, and be unable to do residency or practice in certain states. Even if you're sure of the rules in your state, you can't be sure where you'd land a resdency.

Carib is a last resort, if youd rather uproot your life and move wherever you can find work... rather than not be a doctor.

Thanks for supporting me - I do agree - international medical schools do generally have better training and their missions is to train doctors, so their quality will be higher than Caribbean medical schools.

That being said, be sure to check the stafford loans or other federal loans to see if your school is on the list. Don't want to be accepted to a school just to find out you can't pay for it.

Ugh...

Raigon what is your take on the issue of internship spots in Australia? I was accepted at UQ for September 09 but declined the offer because of this uncertainty. It seems that Australia is riskier than the Caribbean if you take that into consideration. If it wasn't for that issue Australia would be a priority of course.

etc. etc.

this is a very biased view. i don't know why you want to portray such a gloomy picture.

first you can't say "international schools are better". Better at what? Australia for example is currently the last place I'd go to due to the shortage of internship spots .. I can care less about their fantastic curriculum if i can't even practice medicine after my degree because there is no spot for me and i can't even form my own fate about it (you can't take a standardized test and ace it) other schools can be more expensive and catered for their own countries' medical system. Those options are probably only Ireland. Anything else and you have to learn other languages.

and regarding the rotation issues and the accreditation.. i'm not sure why you are ignoring the fact that this is not an issue at all for the 4 big caribbean schools. With those schools you can do all your core rotations Greenbook no problem.. and probably also all your electives (which you don't need to unless you have a specific reason).. Also they are all accredited in all states and Canada. What's better exposure to the American system and LORs than actually spending two full years in the US?

Also some of those caribbean schools like SGU for examples have very interesting courses in international medicine and the art of being a doctor (you can do a year in UK, some other school has something with Prague).. So it's not really as bad as you folks want to portray it to be.

of course i understand that US schools >>> caribbean schools.. but you are not bringing any real international alternative that doesn't have their own problems

this is a very biased view. i don't know why you want to portray such a gloomy picture.

f

and regarding the rotation issues and the accreditation.. i'm not sure why you are ignoring the fact that this is not an issue at all for the 4 big caribbean schools. With those schools you can do all your core rotations Greenbook no problem.. and probably also all your electives (which you don't need to unless you have a specific reason).. Also they are all accredited in all states and Canada. What's better exposure to the American system and LORs than actually spending two full years in the US?

It not as much of an issue... but it can be. Ross still has trouble fitting everyone into greenbook rotations. Many Ross students just don't get them and have to do bluebook rotations. Theres a small army of Ross students in Chicago doing bluebooks. Many students have to wait to the very end of their 4th year to get a spot in a greenbook Pediatrics core. What if they want to go into a Peds residency?

I suspect academic performance, and how buddy-buddy you are with your clinical coordinator have something to do with what rotations you get stuck in.

1. Totally agree - no real oversight

Recognition of oversight would give too much credence to the legitimacy of Caribbean medical education. Therefore, once you understand that the forces at work couldn't care less if any one of the Caribbean medical schools becomes the next Harvard or simply closes down tomorrow, you will then also understand why such an oversight, which already exists, has been for the most part, ignored and marginalized. Furthermore, show me one push, initiative, or legislature proposed by AAMC or LCME in order to regulate the quality of education in the Caribbean. After all we're talking about a handful of schools, approximately 500 miles off the coast of southern Florida.

The current oversight which I am referring to are 2 organizations that include the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM) and Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions (CAAM-HP). ACCM is based out of Ireland and has been around since 1995, and reports to the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA) of the United States Government of Department of Education. The purpose of the NCFMEA is as follows, ‘…..to review the standards used by foreign countries to accredit medical schools and determine whether those standards are comparable to standards used to accredit medical schools in the United States.' Based on the Caribbean region of governance, the 3 medical schools accredited by ACCM are American University of the Caribbean (AUC), SABA, and St. Matthew's University (SMU). CAAM-HP on the other hand was established in 2003, and was designed to overlook the Caribbean region in general. Schools accredited by the CAAM-HP include University of the West Indies, University of Guyana, St. James School of Medicine, St. George's University, Ross University, and University of the West Indies School of Veterinary Medicine.

It not as much of an issue... but it can be. Ross still has trouble fitting everyone into greenbook rotations. Many Ross students just don't get them and have to do bluebook rotations. Theres a small army of Ross students in Chicago doing bluebooks. Many students have to wait to the very end of their 4th year to get a spot in a greenbook Pediatrics core. What if they want to go into a Peds residency?

I suspect academic performance, and how buddy-buddy you are with your clinical coordinator have something to do with what rotations you get stuck in.

Lets be perfectly honest about the differences between green book and blue book rotations; case and point, Wyckoff hospital in Brooklyn. Up until very recently all core rotations at Wyckoff were green book. IM and peds are still both green book, and although peds is a decent rotation, IM on the other hand is a much different story. I am absolutely convinced that I can find you a blue book IM rotation with academic experience and clinical training far more superior than Wyckoff or for that matter many other ACGME accredited centers.

In fact there are rotations that are technically considered blue-book in some LCME-medical school affiliated hospitals. For example, psychiatry and pediatrics at Synergy medical center in Saginaw, Michigan are both blue-book rotations. Synergy medical center is an affiliate of Michigan State University College of Medicine. The same department of education at Synergy that places MSU students into rotations, overlooks the curriculum, and quality of clinical education and training for all rotations in that hospital.

Lets be perfectly honest about the differences between green book and blue book rotations; case and point, Wyckoff hospital in Brooklyn. Up until very recently all core rotations at Wyckoff were green book. IM and peds are still both green book, and although peds is a decent rotation, IM on the other hand is a much different story. I am absolutely convinced that I can find you a blue book IM rotation with academic experience and clinical training far more superior than Wyckoff or for that matter many other ACGME accredited centers.

In fact there are rotations that are technically considered blue-book in some LCME-medical school affiliated hospitals. For example, psychiatry and pediatrics at Synergy medical center in Saginaw, Michigan are both blue-book rotations. Synergy medical center is an affiliate of Michigan State University College of Medicine. The same department of education at Synergy that places MSU students into rotations, overlooks the curriculum, and quality of clinical education and training for all rotations in that hospital.

You're absolutely right. But rather than determine the quality of the clinical training, the state boards continue to assume that training is better at greenbook sites. Maybe they just assume that the more arbitrary and complicated they make the offshore med school requirements, the more industrious the potential licensee will be.

What's the alternative? Either directly evaluate the quality of clinical education... which is impractical and even more nit-picky, not to mention impossible due to the inability of time travel to check on rotations from 5-10 years prior. Or, you can convert all licensing requirements to Bluebook... which is also unlikely, since it just makes things easier on us. All bluebook, is also not on par with some state's own med schools... such as Texas, I'm let to believe. So that just wouldnt be right.

Hence the conundrum faced by PDs and states in determining Carib student's clinical competence.

Raigon what is your take on the issue of internship spots in Australia? I was accepted at UQ for September 09 but declined the offer because of this uncertainty. It seems that Australia is riskier than the Caribbean if you take that into consideration. If it wasn't for that issue Australia would be a priority of course.

Regarding the internship spots - I'm not sure if you did some research or not, but if you did, you may know that there is a medical tsunami in Australia at the moment. A few years ago, there started to become a shortage of doctors in Australia and they had to rely on overseas trained doctors. So the government responded to this crisis and way too fast. They increased substantially the number of medical students intake. UQ immediately went from 200 to over 500 students. The problem is that the number of senior doctors who overlook internship training cannot keep up with the number of medical graduates and thus cannot offer everyone internship spots. I recognize the problem.

The medical tsunami has hit states like New South Wales and Queensland the hardest, because they're the biggest cities. Victoria, where Melbourne is, will probably be the next hit. HOWEVER, there are also many places in Australia which are not hit by the medical tsunami as hard, because the medical schools there chose to increase the number slow. The senior doctors will slowly increase as the graduates increase slowly and the numbers aren't too bad to handle, thus allowing enough internship spots for all students. I'm talking about Adelaide in South Australia, the ACT (near Australian National University) and North or West Australia. There, from students who've studied there that I know like one of my buddies from New Zealand who went to the University of South Adelaide, told me there was not problem, everyone single international got an internship spot.

It depends on where you go - all countries have their crisis, but there are always areas that avoid the worst of the crisis. Don't choose the big cities just because they're attractive - they have it the worst. Do some research and choose other schools that are just as good, but located in better situations such as Flinders, ANU, etc.

I chose Australia also because I know Australia, perhaps not inside out, but enough to know how to know and handle the good and bad. That's why I'm choosing Flinders: they are one of the top 3 universities along with Sydney and Queensland that have the highest success rate of American students returning to the US and matched to their preferred specialty. Except unlike Sydney and Queensland, Flinders is located in Adelaide, where the Tsunami is not hit as hard.

And also, you know that Queensland is currently opening a New Ochsner program that's partnering with hospitals in Louisiana, right? They spend 2 preclinical years in Australia and 2 years in Louisiana. Their curriculum will be USMLE oriented and they will be allowed to participate in the match. Here is some more information:

www.mededpath.org/

The disadvantages are that it's slightly more expensive (upper 50 to lower 60k) and you're still considered an IMG if you graduate. And it's not accreditted by the Australian medical council (but it passed stage 1, the hardest to pass, and stage 2 is just about to pass, so I wouldn't worry). The plus is that it's like the Caribbean (strong focus on USMLE, and 2 clinical years in the US), only with a better name: Queensland is currently ranked 44 out of the top 100 universities in the world. And plus you get to have a fun international experience in Brisbane while highly increasing your chance with 2 clinical years. I personally dislike Queensland, however, mostly because it's too slack in applicant screening: everyone with an 8-8-8-M on their MCAT or higher got accepted and they have NO interviews after 2008 or 2009, sometime around then. There are too many students, which means more students per every one resource.

But the New Ochsner program will only accept 80~100 students and they must be US citizens or permanent residents, because that who they're for. It's for marketing purposes to tell you the truth, because Australia needs money (damn national debt!) and more important, Queensland wants money.

So here's an option that's just as good as the Caribbean if you want the USMLE preparation and 2 years clinical in the US.

first you can't say "international schools are better". Better at what? Australia for example is currently the last place I'd go to due to the shortage of internship spots .. I can care less about their fantastic curriculum if i can't even practice medicine after my degree because there is no spot for me and i can't even form my own fate about it (you can't take a standardized test and ace it) other schools can be more expensive and catered for their own countries' medical system. Those options are probably only Ireland. Anything else and you have to learn other languages.

Also some of those caribbean schools like SGU for examples have very interesting courses in international medicine and the art of being a doctor (you can do a year in UK, some other school has something with Prague).. So it's not really as bad as you folks want to portray it to be.

of course i understand that US schools >>> caribbean schools.. but you are not bringing any real international alternative that doesn't have their own problems

As I said, doing rotations in the US is to get letters of recommendations. Although I do agree 6 months (see post above) is not as good as 2 years, it is sufficient enough (unless you seriously pissed off the faculty for some reason or whatnot), it's enough to get to know the hospital members and workers to like you and offer to write letters of recommendations for you. That's pretty much what the clinical rotations are for - for your references to have a foothold and some link with the US instead of being some blind foreigner who knows nothing about the US health system and comes with nothing with maybe a high USMLE score.

And it's true that international alternatives may not be the best and I know that you should go for the US as much as possible. I, as stated above, am going because I like Australia. To me, they have more good than bad. Caribbean isn't bad, just not as attractive to me as a country I've done some research oo.

Don't choose Australia because I said so. I'm slightly biased towards it because I like it. Choose whatever fits your needs, even if it's the Caribbean route, and as I said, the Caribbean does have its good. The only things I dislike are its slightly bad reputation and the fact that other than clinical years, the best education they offer are in the US and other parts of the world and not on campus. The partnership is pretty good and attractive to many people, but it reminds us that say, SGU does not have those courses of their own and needs to send them to countries that do. Other than that, I'm have no problem with them. I'm choosing the Caribbean as the next possible option if I don't make it to Australia (if I don't make it to Queensland with a 30Q, I shudder to think what my chances are with SGU or SABA or Ross :scared:).

Remember, you know your needs better than everyone else. So find the best program for you and stick to it.

I remember a quote from Randy Pausch in his last lecture, can't remember the exact words, but it's roughly something like, "For everyone person's dream, there will always be a brick wall. But the brick wall isn't to block everyone from attaining their dreams, it's to block out people who don't want it bad enough."

As for us, who really want to become doctors, we can break down the brick walls that's keeping us from becoming a doctor in the United States because we want it bad enough that we can find alternatives if we don't have the US medical school option. It just depends on the route we choose. There is no wrong or right route - just a route that's best suited for us and only us alone.

Well, I guess it's safe to say that Caribbean medical schools are, on average, more affordable in terms of tuition. (On average). But then again, there is the fact that many private schools do have financial aid and scholarships - not all of them, though. Most US medical school graduates still have debts of 100~150K. Not up to 200~250k, but that's because aside from financial aid from scholarships, but most have financial support from their own savings (many worked for a few years before they go into med school) or family (spouse, parents, siblings, etc).

I apologize for being unclear, but I was only talking about tuition. Of course, Caribbean medical schools, like other international medical schools will have higher living expenses, housing, insurance,etc because... well, they're for internationals and you're not on home-turf. They don't give you discounts.

I suppose I was being a bit unfair towards Caribbean medical schools. I apologize for that. I guess it was because of the negative things I've heard from it, and not just on this site. My best friend from elementary school did not make it to a US med and he had to go to a Caribbean medical school - St. George to be exact - he did say that it was almost comparable to a cram school, focusing heavily on USMLE materials and and he complained that he didn't learn much about non-USMLE materials until he went to the US for clinical training. And he didn't like the fact that Caribbean medical schools accepts a lot of US medical school "rejects", because he felt like one himself.

On the other hand, he said the campus was beautiful, with a lot of beaches and a tropical climate he enjoyed. He said the faculty was friendly and so were the local natives. And he also mentioned it was cheaper, but that was because he had a 31P on his MCAT and got an SGU scholarship. And he had successful residency matching into general surgery because he scored higher on the USMLE than average 241/99, I think or roughly around that number I forgot. He's in his 2nd year of residency (forgot which hospital - haven't contacted him in a year, I could go ask again).

But then again, he also did mention that the SGU didn't train him for surgery - the US hospitals did since Grenada lacked the hospital facilities to train their students.

As I said, Caribbean medical schools do have their good and if I don't make it to an Australian medical school, I'll pick SGU/Ross/SABA, etc over going to post-bacc and reapplying for a US med. But I still stand firm in liking Australia better than Caribbean - first world country with superb medical training and their own superb programs and experience. Nothing not to like except for its expenses - expensive already and on the rise. Damn national debt!

the part about SGU isn't 100% correct. first of all since you're a premed you wouldn't know this but med school everywhere is a huge cram session. no matter where you go to med school you'll never feel like you're 100% caught up, so you'll constantly be struggling this is because of the huge volume of information that you have to absorb processes and memorize/learn. So saying it's a cram session is unfair. Also about the lack of clinical exposure during basic sciences might have been true if he went to SGU a while ago but when i was there, we started patient encounters in the first week of school. we would learn how to interview patients, then learn how to do physical exams and in your final semester on the island we would visit the local general hospital and once a week and would shadow different doctors and talk to the different patients in the wards, basically practice taking their history and doing physicals. Many US schools don't start patient interactions until their clinical years i.e. 3rd year of med school, so SGU students are at an advantage because they get earlier exposure to patients. Your friend couldn't know this because he never went to a US med school, many people don't know this. but i spoke with a few US med students and that's what they told me.

Also your friend thought that all they taught him was info for step1 because well step1 covers everything you learn in your first 2 years. I didn't even hear the word USMLE or Step1 until my final semester on the island. the profs teach you from text books that are used by US med schools, some of the profs actually co-authored those text books or wrote chapters in those text books so the teaching faculty for the most part is excellent at SGU or at least was when i was there. It's like saying I took biology, and physics in undergrad and all they did was taught me info for the MCAT. Step1 covers every thing that you learn, there aren't outside things to learn because step1 is an exam that tests your basic science knowledge not how good your bedside manor is.

once again i'll repeat myself. it's not the job of the school to train us to be a surgeon or whatever on the island. there we have to learn the basics like biochemistry, physiology, histology, anatomy, pathology, microbiology, basic sciences i.e. the first 2 years of med school everywhere you will not learn anything clinical you'll strictly learn what's in the text books. However, it seems like your friend did very well in school and that SGU has prepared him extremely well and thus he was able to match into a great specialty. He states US hospitals trained him well those hospitals are paid by the school to train their students, they're SGU affiliated hospitals and act like SGU's university hospitals. And lastly it's not the medical school's job to train you to be a surgeon or an internal medicine doc. it's their job to prepare you for residency in whatever field you want to go into not to train you in that specialty that's what residency is for.

What SGU and other carib schools do have is the fact that you spend the last 2 years of your med school, your clinical years in US hospitals training side by side with US med students, yep that's right. in NJ we train at the same hospitals that train UMDNJ students, in NY we train with SUNY Downstate, SUNY Stony Brook, Cornell and many other US students, also NYCOM students. So we get the same training as them. This allows for attendings who grade us compare us to our US counterparts and mention that on our evaluations and letters of recommendation (LORs) when we apply for residencies. One of the biggest problems for IMGs is the fact that US residency program directors can't compare US med students to IMGs because the schools and training is for the most part so different, for Carib med students because our clinical years are done in the US they can easily compare our experience with that of US med students and see how well we preform, no internal school will allow you to do that. Also since carib students rotate at hospitals that have residency programs they build relationships and friendship which many time lead to residency placement, once again international med schools don't offer that.

Lastly the way the medical system works in other countries is very different from the US system and because you don't train in US hospitals when going to an international med school you won't learn how the US health care system works and will have a tough time adjusting to it once you're a resident. In austrailian med school you learn how to work in an australian health care system, which is completely different then the US system. I know a guy who almost got fired from residency in his first week because he didn't know how to present a patient, didn't know he had to write orders for labs and other things because in Israel where he went to med school, the attendings didn't teach him how to present a patient they would have casual conversations about the patient, and he never had to write orders or even knew that they wrote orders because that part wasn't discussed. He had an extremely hard time adjusting to the US system.

So whatever negative thoughts people have are not associated with big schools like SGU, AUC, Ross and Saba. The biggest advantage that carib schools have over international schools is the fact that you spend your last 2 years of med school in US hospitals getting to know and befriend the attendings and program directors of US residency programs who might take you as a resident once you graduate. International med schools have maybe 1 or 2 months which really isn't a lot of time at all. the LORs you get from US attendings are much more important than from some doctor thousands of mile away. many attendings who write LORs are very good friends with program directors of residency programs and their suggestions mean a lot more than some dude's who doesn't even work in this country.

Basically if you want to work as a doctor in some other country go to their Med school, if you want to work in the US go to a US MD or DO med school and after that if you can't get in go to a good carib med school not some Australian med school or European med school.

the part about SGU isn't 100% correct. first of all since you're a premed you wouldn't know this but med school everywhere is a huge cram session. no matter where you go to med school you'll never feel like you're 100% caught up, so you'll constantly be struggling this is because of the huge volume of information that you have to absorb processes and memorize/learn. So saying it's a cram session is unfair. Also about the lack of clinical exposure during basic sciences might have been true if he went to SGU a while ago but when i was there, we started patient encounters in the first week of school. we would learn how to interview patients, then learn how to do physical exams and in your final semester on the island we would visit the local general hospital and once a week and would shadow different doctors and talk to the different patients in the wards, basically practice taking their history and doing physicals. Many US schools don't start patient interactions until their clinical years i.e. 3rd year of med school, so SGU students are at an advantage because they get earlier exposure to patients. Your friend couldn't know this because he never went to a US med school, many people don't know this. but i spoke with a few US med students and that's what they told me.

I agree with what RJ is saying. If you want to practice in the US and can't go to a US medical school (MD or DO), the next best option would be to go to the carribbean Big 4 rather than some internartional school in Europe or Australia. Basically, what it comes down to is how well the medical school can replicate the US curriculum. There are a lot of international schools in England, Australia, and Israel that are perceived to be more "prestigious" than carribbean medical schools, but they are not necessarily better at training a person to handle a residency in the US. Because as RJ pointed out, they don't train students to deal with paperworks, present cases, or order tests.

As RJ pointed out with his colleague from Israel, the reason why PD are so weary about filling residencies with people from international medical schools is because they have no idea how adequately the program in their home country trained those medical students. That's why I said a high USMLE score or good grades may not be enough to compensate for being an FMG - it doesn't tell the whole story about how well someone is going to handle a residency in the US or how familiar that person is with the US healthcare system. In short, the Big 4 will probably be a better training ground than some International medical school.

thank you RJ.. very informative post

I don't know what I would do if I were a Canadian in this situation.
Wouldn't it be better to go Irish or to Australia, as that way you'd have some sort of almost-guaranteed internship spot in case you couldn't get a spot in the US or Canada? On the other hand, I can see where having more rotations in the US during 3rd/4th year would be a big advantage in terms of matching at a US residency program.

It just seems to me that the Irish med schools have less of a stigma versus the Caribbean schools...also perhaps higher graduation rates?

For US students, I'd stay away from med school if you can't get into a US MD or DO school, or perhaps St George or Ross. If you can't get a spot in a US school after a couple of tries, then consider the Caribbean option, or Ireland, etc. If the better Caribbean schools won't take you, that means you probably are not ready or able to do well academically. I would not suggest that US students go to Indian med schools because my experience with their students is that they don't get much clinical experience, and bomb their visiting clerkships when they come over to the US (it may be because of the different training system, more like British system where I think the students observe more than actually actively examine the patients, take histories, etc.).

I don't know what I would do if I were a Canadian in this situation.
Wouldn't it be better to go Irish or to Australia, as that way you'd have some sort of almost-guaranteed internship spot in case you couldn't get a spot in the US or Canada? On the other hand, I can see where having more rotations in the US during 3rd/4th year would be a big advantage in terms of matching at a US residency program.

It just seems to me that the Irish med schools have less of a stigma versus the Caribbean schools...also perhaps higher graduation rates?

For US students, I'd stay away from med school if you can't get into a US MD or DO school, or perhaps St George or Ross. If you can't get a spot in a US school after a couple of tries, then consider the Caribbean option, or Ireland, etc. If the better Caribbean schools won't take you, that means you probably are not ready or able to do well academically. I would not suggest that US students go to Indian med schools because my experience with their students is that they don't get much clinical experience, and bomb their visiting clerkships when they come over to the US (it may be because of the different training system, more like British system where I think the students observe more than actually actively examine the patients, take histories, etc.).

I don't know about the irish schools but many if not most of the eastern european schools that have a program for US students to get their MD have a separate program for them to teach them in english and those programs are not recognized by those countries and thus those students can't practice in that country or do an internship year. Also many of the schools that would allow you to practice in their home country after graduation are even harder to get into than US med schools.. so read the fine print if you plan on going to a european school.

For those who have not gone through the residency process, please note that many hospitals requires US clinical experience in order to apply for residency. Going to the Caribbean or to Queensland (in which you can rotate in Louisiana) would suffice that. The international schools will have less options when applying for residency in the US despite how good the quality of education or name is. As for the above post in the beginning saying that Caribbean schools have high attrition rates and wastes tax payers dollars. Please note that only 3 Caribbean schools can apply for federal loans (SGU, AUC, and Ross). Saba and all other Caribbean schools can not apply for federal loans and needs to apply for private loans. So your tax dollars doesn't go to the majority of the Caribbean schools.

For those who have not gone through the residency process, please note that many hospitals requires US clinical experience in order to apply for residency. Going to the Caribbean or to Queensland (in which you can rotate in Louisiana) would suffice that. The international schools will have less options when applying for residency in the US despite how good the quality of education or name is. As for the above post in the beginning saying that Caribbean schools have high attrition rates and wastes tax payers dollars. Please note that only 3 Caribbean schools can apply for federal loans (SGU, AUC, and Ross). Saba and all other Caribbean schools can not apply for federal loans and needs to apply for private loans. So your tax dollars doesn't go to the majority of the Caribbean schools.

excellent points!

honestly, if a school can get you clinical rotations in a US hospital and residency then it's good. I looked through several sites and compared the carribean school and found them to have the same 4 year time line like US schools. Check the time line for SJSM, it's the same as SGU and ROSS.

Saint James School of Medicine

16 Months (Basic Science Courses)
1. Histology
2. Embryology
3. Medical Ethics
4. Human Gross Anatomy
5. Neuro-Anatomy
6. Biochemistry
7. Physiology
8. Medical Genetics
9. Pharmacology
10. Microbiology
11. Psychology
12. Pathology I
13. Pathology II
14. Epidemiology
15. Physical Diagnostics Introduction

6 Months (Break)
1. Study for and write for the USMLE Step 1.
2. Submit PASSING score to the Chicago Office.

2-3 Weeks
Wait several weeks for the rotation schedule to begin and to settle down to the location.

48 Weeks
Core Clinical Rotations

48 Weeks
1. Complete Elective Rotations
2. Apply for Residencies (National Match Program) and go to interviews.
3. Study and sit for the USMLE Step 2.
4. After PASSING the Step 2, you’re a MD Graduate.

Source: IMGSTUDENT

Caribbean schools are not the only international schools that prepare students specifically for the USMLE and US residencies... Israeli schools do so as well. Sackler, BGU, and Technion are an additional option for students with great stats who for whatever reason could not get into US medical schools. Sackler is chartered by the state of NY and has residency matches on par with low to mid tier US medical schools... tuition is 28,000 per year as far as I know. The only issue is that clinicals are done in Israel, but you do come back to the states during your fourth year for subinternships, and to interview for residencies. Definitely an option to look into. As far as I've heard, Sackler has a great reputation, especially in New York.

Daronfly99
You stated "If the better Caribbean schools won't take you, that means you probably are not ready or able to do well academically."
I would just add this is probably very misleading to many potential applicants- as decade long experienced combat medic and one who is about to attend a Carib school there are many of us who do not care to spend 2 years of our lives taking prereqs and cramming for the MCAT but definitely have the desire and intellectual horsepower to be a MD.
I have learned the hard way in ER medicine that your credential and what you think of yourself often means body bag.
That said, in all due respect think about your comment because just because someone comes from a different background (academically) this does not mean they will not be a excellent med student and subsequently a good doc and make a real difference in peoples lives and their communities. That is a function of IQ, heart and good old fashioned elbow grease.