Caribbean - School options with low GPA and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andy133

Reaction score
Folks I need help and honest advise, I am a recent graduate with a cumulative 3.4 GPA, I also just took the MCAT (two times) and scored a 484 (low). I was wondering what my chances of getting into a Caribbean schools and be able to get good residency match.

Also what are good schools... I okay with the money I need to spend there.

Members don't see this ad.

Take your time to retake and get a good score in the MCAT. Study for at least 3 months, take lots and lots of practice questions, and/or do a prep course if you have to. Caribbean schools are last resort options for when you have tried everything to get in a US MD or DO school unsuccessfully. Caribbean schools only give you a coin flip chance at residency (50-60% match in residency), and that's not counting the amount of students who never even make it to 4th year of medical school to even apply to residency (aka attrition). Your current MCAT scores are also not reassuring that you would even make it to 4th year either. Trust me Caribbean schools loves and thrives on desperate applicants like you because they are all for profit institutions looking to cash out your tuition money through federal loans. You don't want to be among those with $400K in school loans and no degree to show for it. Medical school is not going anywhere, so take your time to do it the right way and avoid taking shortcuts by going to the Caribbean. US MD or DO schools will give a better chance at matching in the residency of your choice than any Caribbean school can.

Reactions: 6 users
Take your time to retake and get a good score in the MCAT. Study for at least 3 months, take lots and lots of practice questions, and/or do a prep course if you have to. Caribbean schools are last resort options for when you have tried everything to get in a US MD or DO school unsuccessfully. Caribbean schools only give you a coin flip chance at residency (50-60% match in residency), and that's not counting the amount of students who never even make it to 4th year of medical school to even apply to residency (aka attrition). Your current MCAT scores are also not reassuring that you would even make it to 4th year either. Trust me Caribbean schools loves and thrives on desperate applicants like you because they are all for profit institutions looking to cash out your tuition money through federal loans. You don't want to be among those with $400K in school loans and no degree to show for it. Medical school is not going anywhere, so take your time to do it the right way and avoid taking shortcuts by going to the Caribbean. US MD or DO schools will give a better chance at matching in the residency of your choice than any Caribbean school can.
I am so appreciative of your response Sir.... Thank You.... I would seriously look into this advise.... I want to be a Doctor...
Another question I always keep wondering why people drop off after 2nd or 3rd or 4th year....is it Step 1/2 or something else...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so appreciative of your response Sir.... Thank You.... I would seriously look into this advise.... I want to be a Doctor...
Another question I always keep wondering why people drop off after 2nd or 3rd or 4th year....is it Step 1/2 or something else...
It can be for several reasons. Among them: Failing classes and/or remediation, failing board exams (Step 1 and 2), failing their pre-board exams multiple times before even sitting for step 1 or 2, unprofessionalism, giving up due to mental health issues while living on the island, etc...

No matter the reason, this only shows that Caribbean schools either admit too many students that they know aren't capable of passing medical school or they lack the proper infrastructures and resources to support their students, or both. None of these are ideal situation for medical students. If any US MD or DO schools had this amount of attrition or such low match rate into residency, they would face serious consequences from their accrediting bodies or even get shut down all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This was my situation when I was applying to medical schools. I had the chance to go Caribbean, but I chose not to, and it turned out for the better. If I was in the Caribbean, I probably would have gotten dropped out too. If I can do it, you can too.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
After having been at a carib school for over 2 years now, I can say that the MCAT is definitely a stronger indicator for success here than GPA, which doesn't bode well with your circumstance.

Take some good time and give the MCAT a 3rd shot with heavy studying and practice exams to see where you stand. A 484 is even below the average accepted MCAT for the big 3 schools (around 492-495). If your 3rd time still yields a score in the 480s than I would not recommend a Caribbean school.

If you score in the 500s than applying widely to DO schools could net you some interviews or acceptances. Alternatively, a score in the 490s could make you a candidate for podiatry school if you don't mind that specialization.

Thanks a lot @Gambino. @DrStephenStrange ... This conversation gives me a good insight. What I understand
a) Students at Caribbean must have to be very motivative to be successful against no so great living conditions.
b) Board Exams and regular internal exams & pre-board must focus on that a lot; Can not take all that lightly.
c) On top of that a second hand treatment at the time of Matching.

Caribbean Schools give a second chance but it is all in your hand.....

Thanks a lot @Gambino. @DrStephenStrange ... This conversation gives me a good insight. What I understand
a) Students at Caribbean must have to be very motivative to be successful against no so great living conditions.
b) Board Exams and regular internal exams & pre-board must focus on that a lot; Can not take all that lightly.
c) On top of that a second hand treatment at the time of Matching.

Caribbean Schools give a second chance but it is all in your hand.....

This is what you gathered from this thread? Here's what I gathered.

a.) Matching from the Caribbean is very difficult and even getting to that point is a challenge.
b.) Your MCAT predicts that you will likely be in the latter category (ie dismissed even before you get to apply for the match)
c.) You haven't even attempted an application cycle. You need to retake the MCAT with a focus on DO schools.

Last edited:
  • Love
OP, I don't think Caribbean is for you. Caribbean is for one type of student: someone who did not apply themselves academically earlier on in their premed days, but who has since recognized and resolved those issues. It sounds like you still have pretty significant issues with preparing for large standardized tests. I'm not confident you've identified the issue given the two low scores; if you have identified the problem, then it doesn't seem like it is being addressed effectively. This is hugely important because all of medical school (save for MS4) is preparation for standardized tests. In particular, Step 1 is substantially harder than the MCAT. I see no evidence that you're ready for that. You should follow the others' advice: retake the MCAT, +/- post-bacc for GPA, and apply broadly to DO schools.

Folks I need help and honest advise, I am a recent graduate with a cumulative 3.4 GPA, I also just took the MCAT (two times) and scored a 484 (low). I was wondering what my chances of getting into a Caribbean schools and be able to get good residency match.

Also what are good schools... I okay with the money I need to spend there.
Please follow the advice of everyone else here and study hard for the MCAT. With a 484 it is an indicator of poor performance in medical school. The IMG school will suck your money and potentially leave you 400-500 thousand dollars in debt with nothing to show. Seek counsel and look at US DO programs if you can get your MCAT to 495 or above.