Caribbean Medical Schools & Hurricanes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piotrkol1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current/past students share experiences concerning how hurricanes affect going to school in the Caribbean? Obviously Irma just hit Antigua & Barbuda (AUA) and now Maria is heading for Dominica (Ross), and I'm sure some of the other schools have been affected as well. I'm assuming there's evacuations and school is closed? How do they handle making up the missed material? Has catastrophic damage ever forced the programs to become suspended? I'm doing a post-bacc right now but my parents had wanted me to go to AUA instead, so I'm more or less just curious how it works. At least those down at SGU in Grenada don't really have to deal with the storms too much.

Members don't see this ad.

Antigua was fine in the storm. Little damage to school property or housing and no reported injuries to staff or students. Between the storms (Irma and Jose) our students assisted Barbuda, the small island to the North under the same governing body as Antigua. Students delivered goods, started fundraising and some assisted in evacuating Barbudans. The campus reopened after the storm but it took us a few days to resume classes as some students who had left in advance of the storm were now stuck as they had flight connections through Miami. No major delays in coursework. We're closely watching Maria at last update it looks like we'll get some tropical storm force winds. Updates are on our site.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I saw a post from last week that Ross had evac'ed all students off the island in prep for Irma, and was holding classes in the US. Hopefully that's the case.

I think that was St. Martin (AUC), but I still hope you're right.

Maria was a bullseye on the island. When I was there (you know, way back when during the time of horse-drawn carriages and oil lamps), the locals were still talking about Hurricane David in 1979 and how badly it had wrecked the island. That storm was nowhere near as big or bad as Maria. Hope everyone is okay. I'm sure relief is on the way.

-SKip

^^ How did you get to the island in those days? with those boats that have manual rowers?

Like in the movie Troy

I think that was St. Martin (AUC), but I still hope you're right.

Maria was a bullseye on the island. When I was there (you know, way back when during the time of horse-drawn carriages and oil lamps), the locals were still talking about Hurricane David in 1979 and how badly it had wrecked the island. That storm was nowhere near as big or bad as Maria. Hope everyone is okay. I'm sure relief is on the way.

-SKip

I think you're right and I was confused.

I assume you studied by whale oil lamps. You had it easy, because whales are so big. We we only given enough oil for a single day of light when I was in med school. But if we prayed hard enough, it would last for a week.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten any updates as to the damage to Ross from Maria? Yes, I also heard that AUC was sending their students to the UK for preclinicals due to the damage to Saint Marten from Irma.

Has anyone gotten any updates as to the damage to Ross from Maria?
They've posted some updates on their Facebook page. It looks like they're trying to get everyone off the island now, and judging from some of the comments there still appears to be communication issues.

Can any current/past students share experiences concerning how hurricanes affect going to school in the Caribbean? Obviously Irma just hit Antigua & Barbuda (AUA) and now Maria is heading for Dominica (Ross), and I'm sure some of the other schools have been affected as well. I'm assuming there's evacuations and school is closed? How do they handle making up the missed material? Has catastrophic damage ever forced the programs to become suspended? I'm doing a post-bacc right now but my parents had wanted me to go to AUA instead, so I'm more or less just curious how it works. At least those down at SGU in Grenada don't really have to deal with the storms too much.
While it certainly can't be predicted, there is a 'hurricane alley' of sorts in the Caribbean. Sint Maartin, Dominica, Anguilla, islands with medical schools, have sustained massive damage and the schools have implemented evacuations or plans for evacuations. The current students will likely be relocated (AUC has said the UK) to restart studies, the bigger question is what will happen to the students planning to matriculate in the next incoming classes in 2018?

I was in Dominica 2 years ago during Erica. Our home was flooded. We (had my children with me) walked to campus in crazy rain, slept on classroom floor, had no contact with world for a week, ate poptarts, etc. Fortunately we had electricity by back up generator on campus. We also had water. I was done with classes so it set me back months. We lost important documents in the flood. I ended up with a gap, which of course makes me even less likely to match this year. So yes, tropical storms really do impact anyone living i. The Caribbean.

Of all of the islands, Saba is the "safest" from hurricanes. Pretty much all of the infrastructure is 850'+ from sea level, so the only threat during hurricanes is the wind. The only damage from Irma and Maria was the greenery and a few roofs. A large proportion of the houses and buildings were built 50-100yrs ago, have been through many many storms, and are still fine.

I'm a student at Ross and I can say I have no clue where they are sending us. Hoping for the states but it could literally be anywhere. Glad everyone made it out okay.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a student at Ross and I can say I have no clue where they are sending us. Hoping for the states but it could literally be anywhere. Glad everyone made it out okay.

I'm like 95% sure they can't move to the states or Canada, which is why Adtelem moved AUC to the UK for now. :(
Also probably not likely to move RUSM there, too, though bc space + money since Irma probably costed them millions [thousands of flights, the conference center/hotel they took over in Chicago, etc.]

Reactions: 1 user
I have several friends on Dominica still (locals) and their posts are heartbreaking. The mosquitos,have taken over and sleeping is so difficult without even a fan.

My baby is a citizen, and I wish I was already in a place to do more.