Caribbean Medical School - Xavier Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darbie97

Reaction score
Hey!

I was recently accepted into Xavier medical school in the Caribbean and was wondering if anyone else has gone there and what the quality of the education is?
I talked to an advisor and their first-time USMLE pass rate is 96% and residency placement match is 70%.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried applying to US schools yet? If so how many times/what are your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
One should always try at least 2 cycles US MD and 1 cycle US DO before even thinking of Caribbean schools. And when they do unfortunately have to go to a Caribbean school, I wouldn't recommend any other schools than the top 5 Caribbean schools SGU, ROSS, AUC, Saba, AUA. With SGU being your absolute best chance out of the Caribbean which is still a 50/50 shot.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
The overwhelming consensus on SDN is DON’T go Caribbean. Instead, try waiting a year to boost your application to re-apply by doing an SMP/Post-Bac, retaking the MCAT, getting clinical hours, etc. Anything to avoid Caribbean med schools due to high drop out percentage, biases against you in the match, and frequent tropical storms that shut down your resources. The order (in my opinion) goes: MD, DO, Podiatry, and then reconsidering your career choice (ie PA school, NP programs, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DrStpehenStrange has got it right. Definitely would not advise going to a Caribbean school other than the ones he mentioned and that’s as a last resort

I really recommend you DO NOT go to the Caribbean. Take a couple application cycles off and work to boost your app, apply broadly to both MD and DO schools. If you can't get in after 3 application cycles, I would consider career field like podiatry, PA, NP etc. Going to the Caribbean is a big risk, but if you do end up going I would only to to SGU or maybe ROSS.