Caribbean Med School Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philios

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just reading up a bit on caribbean med schools and was wondering why they are strongly recommended against? I mean come on...its the Caribbean....

Members don't see this ad.

Because caribbean med students are at a strong disadvantage when it comes to be residency application time.

Hey, I was just reading up a bit on caribbean med schools and was wondering why they are strongly recommended against? I mean come on...its the Caribbean....

It's a harder road, with very high attrition, high cost, and big hurdles if you are hoping to do competitive residencies. There is a caribbean board on SDN if you have more specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a foucsed student and work hard you will get your MD just fine at a Carribbean medical school. The question is, what kind of doctor do you want to become. Becoming a surgeon or any other type of doctor with a compettitive residency is next to impossible when you go to a Carribbean medical school. All Allopathic grads are virtually insured of a residency position (although it may not be one that they like). Carribbean medical schools offer no assurance. Also the USMLE step 1 scores for Carribbean medical schools is substantially lower than for US schools. If possible bite the year do a post bac and apply again. IF you don't get in then go the abroad route.
Good Luck to You!

If you have zero personality and cannot carry a simple non-bookworm conversation (like the majority of American medical sctudents) then it is one more reason for people to put you down.

On tyhe other hand, if you are a great person who needs a second chance (for thousands of different reasons) then Caribbean medical schools will only make you more interesting. Plus all of the hard work you need to do to prove your worth will make you a better doctor.

If you have zero personality and cannot carry a simple non-bookworm conversation (like the majority of American medical sctudents) then it is one more reason for people to put you down.

On tyhe other hand, if you are a great person who needs a second chance (for thousands of different reasons) then Caribbean medical schools will only make you more interesting. Plus all of the hard work you need to do to prove your worth will make you a better doctor.

I beg to differ... you must look within yourself... plenty of "great persons" attend American medical achools... perhaps there may be something amiss with you... why could YOU not be accepted to a U.S. school? well, no loss, there were plenty of BETTER qualified applicants than you... You are using an ego defense mechanism, my friend... :laugh:

I beg to differ... you must look within yourself... plenty of "great persons" attend American medical achools... perhaps there may be something amiss with you... why could YOU not be accepted to a U.S. school? well, no loss, there were plenty of BETTER qualified applicants than you... You are using an ego defense mechanism, my friend... :laugh:

I'm not American, Dum-Dum..:laugh:

Nice try, though.

I love how you have to point out that you are from a "Top 25 medical school." As if anyone besides the nerdy bookworms (I described above) would care. I guess if you have no personality then you have to base you character around the school you attend. So sad;)

The truth hurts, huh sweetie?

I'm not American, Dum-Dum..:laugh:

Nice try, though.

I love how you have to point out that you are from a "Top 25 medical school." As if anyone besides the nerdy bookworms (I described above) would care. I guess if you have no personality then you have to base you character around the school you attend. So sad;)

The truth hurts, huh sweetie?

I am a caribbean student currently in clinicals and I find your statements pretty ignorant. I'm not ashamed that I am a caribbean student, but you should give the students who were accepted stateside their credit. Just like caribbean schools there are all kinds. While rotating I find their are a great number of students that I tend to beat in work ethic and fund of knowledge, but there are a also a number of U.S. students that excel in both of those areas. To call all of them "book worms" with no personality is rediculous and you know it.

McGill,

No need to belittle others. Here's a novel idea, encourage!

It is ass-kissing fools like you that give Carib schools a bad name.

You should try to read what I said before posting stupidities like this and looking exactly what loser US grads try to describe when they talk about Carib grads.

I specifically said that "many" are bookworms. That means that the rest are well-rounded people. When this fool chimes in and tries to protest, he is identifying himself as the "many" bookworms instead of the rest who are well-rounded and whom I have no beef with.

When you go and suck his c*ck without reading what I wrote, you show your true self. A huge bookworm who hates to go to class and would rather read everything in a book because lectures invlove too much human interaction. No wonder you would rather go to radiology or another non-social specialty. You expose yourself depending on how you post.

Learn how to spell "ridiculous"...or at least use spell check...:laugh:

If "well rounded" is how you are going to rationalize feeling inferior, then go for it. I have no idea why I'm arguing with a know it all pre-med anyways.

Nice nonsensical comeback...lol...:thumbup:

You must have read at least 3 books to come up with that jewel;)

If "well rounded" is how you are going to rationalize feeling inferior, then go for it. I have no idea why I'm arguing with a know it all pre-med anyways.

Wow, not only McGill are you a true connoisseur in medical school protocol, which is amazing for such a "young pup" as yourself(kudos), you also happen to be a legal expert on the appropriate behavior and expression of thought on this forum as well as other forums I might add. Exemplary my friend!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, not only McGill are you a true connoisseur in medical school protocol, which is amazing for such a "young pup" as yourself(kudos), you also happen to be a legal expert on the appropriate behavior and expression of thought on this forum as well as other forums I might add. Exemplary my friend!!

All of the posts you have made on SDN have been in response to me.

That is cyberstalking, without a doubt.

It is becoming more and more apparent to me that you are some kind of troll who enjoys posting ignorant and elitist comments on the Caribbean forum just to arouse the ire of the many Caribbean students here. It is hard for me to believe that you are in fact a practicing doctor already because, I swear, you sound a lot like some of the third-year US med students, with a gunner mentality I might add, who looked down upon the Caribbean students when we were doing clinicals. Yes, there are plenty of US med students who are great people, but you are not one of them.

Oh, and by the way, I find it interesting that you got accepted to a top 25 US med school, graduated, became a practicing doctor, and yet you have not learned how to use a QUOTE button. Next time, you might try that when you want to quote another poster.[/quote]

McGill,
These voices you are hearing in your head about cyberstalking and being offended and controlled by someone reacting to your stupid comments is a grave situation. You are in dire need of medical attention, thank you for coming today.
Well, I can recommend a few psychiatrists for you to help with your paranoia my son. You seem to be suffering from some debilitating condition that has weakend your mind;as a results, you tend to be volatile and aggressive in docile situations. That's my diagnosis. I can write you some prescriptions. Give me a call if you the situation becomes unbearable.

It just doesn't click, does it?

You have 10 posts and 9 of them are to me. Your infatuation with me is kind of creepy:thumbdown:

McGill,
These voices you are hearing in your head about cyberstalking and being offended and controlled by someone reacting to your stupid comments is a grave situation. You are in dire need of medical attention, thank you for coming today.
Well, I can recommend a few psychiatrists for you to help with your paranoia my son. You seem to be suffering from some debilitating condition that has weakend your mind;as a results, you tend to be volatile and aggressive in docile situations. That's my diagnosis. I can write you some prescriptions. Give me a call if you the situation becomes unbearable.

someone who claims to be stalked has been doing some cyberstalking himself by continuing to answer my replies and check my posts...

someone who claims to be stalked has been doing some cyberstalking himself by continuing to answer my replies and check my posts...

That's 10 of 11 and counting....

okay, that is quite enough. If you cannot find yourself contributing to the threads in a positive manner and actually addressing the questions that have arisen, please refrain from posting in the thread. The sort of attacks appearing in this thread are just simply unnecessary.

okay, that is quite enough. If you cannot find yourself contributing to the threads in a positive manner and actually addressing the questions that have arisen, please refrain from posting in the thread. The sort of attacks appearing in this thread are just simply unnecessary.

Thank you. I agree.

Leorl, I agree with you totally. Some people have done nothing but be imbeciles on here like McGill. Anyways, where are you going to school? I have been accepted at SGU, Ross, Loma Linda University.

Leorl, I agree with you totally. Some people have done nothing but be imbeciles on here like McGill. Anyways, where are you going to school? I have been accepted at SGU, Ross, Loma Linda University.

Loma Linda is a great university. they have many residency programs represented at that school would be a huge plus in my book as you can get the support of the faculty when applying for residency. off the top of my head I can remember they have rads, urology, derm, plastics, Gsurg, anesthesia, EM...

I would go to LLU in a heart beat.

Loma Linda is a great university. they have many residency programs represented at that school would be a huge plus in my book as you can get the support of the faculty when applying for residency. off the top of my head I can remember they have rads, urology, derm, plastics, Gsurg, anesthesia, EM...

I would go to LLU in a heart beat.

Agreed. Why in the world would someone turn down an acceptance to a US medical school?

Well, Im considering SGU because of the feeling I got from the interview with them. I feel the whole process with SGU has been better than Loma Linda and Ross. My uncle graduated from LLU, but I'm not sure it's for me. LLU wants me to go there because of my mission experience overseas in Africa and Japan. Besides, i like the motto of SGU, "thinking globally." Though, Dr. Lewis and Dr. Chinnock at my interview in LLU were really nice. We'll see. I have a few more weeks to decide. Either SGU or LLU. Good luck to you all.

It is becoming more and more apparent to me that you are some kind of troll who enjoys posting ignorant and elitist comments on the Caribbean forum just to arouse the ire of the many Caribbean students here. It is hard for me to believe that you are in fact a practicing doctor already because, I swear, you sound a lot like some of the third-year US med students, with a gunner mentality I might add, who looked down upon the Caribbean students when we were doing clinicals. Yes, there are plenty of US med students who are great people, but you are not one of them.

Oh, and by the way, I find it interesting that you got accepted to a top 25 US med school, graduated, became a practicing doctor, and yet you have not learned how to use a QUOTE button. Next time, you might try that when you want to quote another poster.
[/quote]

Bottom Gun...

Did you ever consider the fact that you were not worth quoting?

Lord Almighty, where is the moderation on this board?:mad:

Nick

Well, Im considering SGU because of the feeling I got from the interview with them. I feel the whole process with SGU has been better than Loma Linda and Ross. My uncle graduated from LLU, but I'm not sure it's for me. LLU wants me to go there because of my mission experience overseas in Africa and Japan. Besides, i like the motto of SGU, "thinking globally." Though, Dr. Lewis and Dr. Chinnock at my interview in LLU were really nice. We'll see. I have a few more weeks to decide. Either SGU or LLU. Good luck to you all.

honestly, you would be an absolute ****** to choose SGU over LLU.

Plus if you ever told anyone on campus that you got into a US school and chose SGU, you would be called a liar and would never here the end of it for pretty much your entire 4 years. It would probably even escalate during your 4th year when you're applying for residency.

The entire "thinking globally" phrase has to exist since st. george's is an overseas school with its students mostly US/Canadian citizens (who could not get into a US or canadian school) and a small percentage made up of those from the UK, Caribbean (mostly Grenada), and other random countries.
What would you like them to say, "second chance school" or "thinking globally"? Obviously they have to sell the international experience as a major point rather than push "hey you can still be a doctor come on down angle."

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to SGU for giving me a chance to become a physician, but there's no way in hell would they be my first choice over a school in southern California. If however, SGU was ever to be accredited by the LCME, that would be a different story all together.

honestly, you would be an absolute ****** to choose SGU over LLU.

Plus if you ever told anyone on campus that you got into a US school and chose SGU, you would be called a liar and would never here the end of it for pretty much your entire 4 years. It would probably even escalate during your 4th year when you're applying for residency.

The entire "thinking globally" phrase has to exist since st. george's is an overseas school with its students mostly US/Canadian citizens (who could not get into a US or canadian school) and a small percentage made up of those from the UK, Caribbean (mostly Grenada), and other random countries.
What would you like them to say, "second chance school" or "thinking globally"? Obviously they have to sell the international experience as a major point rather than push "hey you can still be a doctor come on down angle."

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to SGU for giving me a chance to become a physician, but there's no way in hell would they be my first choice over a school in southern California. If however, SGU was ever to be accredited by the LCME, that would be a different story all together.

Too bad the LCME only accredits US and Canadian schools. I bet SGU could pass an accreditation review though they would likely have to decrease their class size.

Berkeleyboy, ******?? Let's control things on here. First of all, just because you didn't get accepted to a US school, is no excuse to put a guilt trip on me to assume I am stupid not to attend the one I am accepted to. Some people's dreams are behind an American M.D. school and since I have worked overseas in Africa and Japan doing mission work, maybe I want to go to an International School rather than a US school to do my medical work. Personal preference. I'm not thinking of working in the US much and money is not an issue for me in the future for my own salary. Before you castigate, make sure you get the facts and understand the point of view first. But I do appreciate your comments.

Berkeleyboy, ******?? Let's control things on here. First of all, just because you didn't get accepted to a US school, is no excuse to put a guilt trip on me to assume I am stupid not to attend the one I am accepted to.

Forgive me if I have offended you but I'm not calling you stupid, maybe a bit closeminded and biting into the whole St. George's global education advertising a little too much. But its just a phrase I use, so I'm sorry if it offended you.

Also, I'm not putting a guilt trip on you, I've attended a Caribbean medical school AND have graduated and received my medical degree from an LCME accredited medical school in the United States. I've seen both worlds and I've seen the world of differences when applying for residency coming from students from both the caribbean and a US school.

Some people's dreams are behind an American M.D. school and since I have worked overseas in Africa and Japan doing mission work, maybe I want to go to an International School rather than a US school to do my medical work. Personal preference. I'm not thinking of working in the US much and money is not an issue for me in the future for my own salary.

If you plan to train in the US for residency regardless if you want to practice here or not, you'll have to apply for residency. Your options will be much more limited coming from SGU. Lets say down the line, you don't want to do primary care (not even talking money here, just pure passion for the line of work of a particular specialty) and you want to do international work in plastic surgery, urologic surgery, ophthalmology, orthopedic surgery, interventional radiology, ENT just to name a few. You'll be kicking yourself in the ass knowing you chose a harder route and could possibly be limiting your future goals by not having the opportunity to train because caribbean students are chosen 2nd after US medical graduates.

Most medical students change their minds about what they want to do countless times before they apply for residency. You never know what you want to do with the rest of your life, 4 years down the line before you've even started medical school. That reason alone is enough to give 4 years of your life to an LCME accredited school, just to open doors for you in the future. If you end up only wanting to do primary care, and thats your true calling than I guess it wouldn't really make a difference but, you'd still have an easier time going to Loma Linda and applying for an international residency being backed by physicians at loma linda who are used to dealing with international health care.

Before you castigate, make sure you get the facts and understand the point of view first. But I do appreciate your comments.

I understand what you're saying. But I've spent 2 years in Grenada and I do know its not much different than studying at a US institution. The books are the same, the exams are multiple choice and geared towards passing your boards which are based on US curriculum to pass the USMLE. There is hardly an emphasis on international medicine or opportunities in international health care with the exception that you are studying outside of US soil.

I've also studied at US medical school and I know there are countless more opportunities to get involved with international medicine if you so desire. My school allowed us to work in underserved areas and international electives in Brazil and in Tibet if we wanted to. We also have the opportunity to schedule any kind of international elective we want during the 4th year in addition to what the school offers. I know for a fact, loma linda is very geared towards missionary work which is at the heart of its alma mater doctrine.

But after all this, you still want to go to a carribean school over a US school, by all means please go ahead. I'm not stopping you by any means, and this has nothing to do with me not gaining admission to a US medical school. This is someone giving you advice who has finished 4 years of medical school both in the Caribbean and on US soil.

Berkeleyboy,

I appreciate your comments and I am leaning towards Loma Linda after taking what you said to heart. I'll keep you posted on my decision within the next few weeks since I have to finalize soon.
Thank you.

Berkeleyboy,

I appreciate your comments and I am leaning towards Loma Linda after taking what you said to heart. I'll keep you posted on my decision within the next few weeks since I have to finalize soon.
Thank you.

I'm willing to bet even the admissions counselors at SGU will tell you to goto Loma Linda.

spartanwarrior,
You gotta go w/ LLU... the best of the Carib will never be equal to the worst of the U.S MD (general statement, I'm not saying LLU is the worst).

spartanwarrior,
You gotta go w/ LLU... the best of the Carib will never be equal to the worst of the U.S MD (general statement, I'm not saying LLU is the worst).

ok so i havent logged on to this site in months, and i have to say after actually being a medical student now i look at these boards and i honestly start to laugh....how in the world do you so called "current students" find time to constantly post on these sites? i mean i have enough time to eat, sleep, study, study, and did i say study......really, just do well in school and the rest will fall into place, quit all the whining and smart a$$ dimwitted childish bashing (macgillgrad).....good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.