Careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RonP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm just wondering once you finish Pharmacy school. Where will you like to work? Retail? Research? Hospital? Sales? or where?

Members don't see this ad.

anyplace where the paycheck does not bounce will do

I agree. Was just wanting to hear different views from people looking into different industries. I'm leaning more towards the hospital pharmacy. Possibly the VA. Anyone have any exposure to the VA or any thoughts to share about working there.

Members don't see this ad :)
RonP: I've been leaning towards hospital (perhaps clinical) pharmacy for quite some time now. I'm currently working as a paid intern at a Las Vegas hospital. I've heard that VAs have allowed for greater clinical responsibilities for pharmacy.. but salaries tended to be lower and VA hospitals aren't the greatest facilities to work in. Anyone else have personal experience with VAs? I'm curious myself...

Have you checked out the "Pfizer Guide to Careers in Pharmacy"?

http://www.pfizercareerguides.com/

I have a couple of years left to figure that out. During my rotations I'll find out what I like and what I hate and go from there.

I like to sit, I would seriously take like a 15K pay cut if I got to sit all day long. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by RonP
I agree. Was just wanting to hear different views from people looking into different industries. I'm leaning more towards the hospital pharmacy. Possibly the VA. Anyone have any exposure to the VA or any thoughts to share about working there.

Pay is mediocre on the GS scale. Prior military service adds to your bottom line. Benefits are outstanding. Work environment can be very good or it can suck immensely depending on where you land.

I did a short stint in the VA hospital in Iowa City when I was in school. The scum job is outpatient and mail order dispensing. Just you, your counting machine and thousands on thousands of vets
The line would literally run the length of the building (big building too)

The pharm D's at that time were up on the floors. I dunno what the pecking order is now that everyone is a pharm D. Perhaps bigger better degrees and residencies. The happiest pharmacist I met in the Iowa City VA hospital worked in the basement. He was the compounding guy.

I know another VA pharmacist in Gainesville Florida. Pharm D that runs the coumadin clinic. State Laws do not apply on a federal reservation and you don't even need to be licensed in the state you reside in as long as you have a valid pharmacy license SOMEWHERE in the U.S.

Among most pharmacists out in the real world, VA is a job of last resort. One step above taking the cut in pay required to be a military pharmacist, as in "Oh crap I had to take a job at the VA"
It probably ranks about equal with being a pharmacist for the state prison system which tends to be very low stress low pay for very laid back personalities.

The Gainesville PharmD was very happy in his position, EXCEPT, that he needed to work extra shifts at Halifax in Daytona to support his new baby. That was how I met him.

Pharmacoeconomic Policy, hopefully for some quasi-government institute (I figure if it's completely gov't based the pay'll be cruddier.) It'd be cool to work for a consulting firm or private institute/think-tank.

I still would like to work in community pharmacy for like one day a week at least for a few years. I like having my finger on the pulse of pharmacy.

What I've noticed is some of these policy guys spend so little time in community pharmacy that they don't know how it runs anymore. They're waaaaay too quick to bash it.

That was a pretty in-depth view of your exp. at the VA Pharmacy. I have military time and federal time which counts towards retirement. That's why I was considering the VA just to keep my Federal time rolling - lol. But who knows things could change. Anyone else have exp. to share or views?

nobody wants to work the drive-through at the local CVS?

Originally posted by jj99
nobody wants to work the drive-through at the local CVS?

I've said it about 400 posts ago...I won't work for chains that operate drive-thrus. I personally believe them to be unprofessional, and a year at a Rite-Aid with a drive-thru reinforced that opinion. Dealing with patients distrated by cell phones and 3 screaming kids in the back seat of the minivan is not for me. I'd rather work for a mass merchanidiser/supermarket chain than subject myself to that. I don't mean to disparage my fellow forum regulars who do work for chains that operate drive-thrus, it's just a personal opinion.

Originally posted by LVPharm
I've said it about 400 posts ago...I won't work for chains that operate drive-thrus. I personally believe them to be unprofessional, and a year at a Rite-Aid with a drive-thru reinforced that opinion. Dealing with patients distrated by cell phones and 3 screaming kids in the back seat of the minivan is not for me. I'd rather work for a mass merchanidiser/supermarket chain than subject myself to that. I don't mean to disparage my fellow forum regulars who do work for chains that operate drive-thrus, it's just a personal opinion.

I have learned to appreciate the drive through because it can be ignored almost as long as the phone UNLIKE people hanging on the counter glaring at you while tapping their feet :)

...I dream of working on a Ph.D. in medicinal chemistry...but if that doesn't pan out and if forced to actually be a pharmacist, clinical pharmacy.

Originally posted by baggywrinkle
I have learned to appreciate the drive through because it can be ignored almost as long as the phone UNLIKE people hanging on the counter glaring at you while tapping their feet :)

You've got a point there :)

We had this tech who had the bad habit of leaving the intercom switched "on"...when it's "on", the little buzzer that annoys the staff into acknowledging the presence of a waiting car does not operate. If nobody looks out the window, we end up with some (understandably) irrate customers. Damned intercom....I used to hear that buzzer in my dreams. Ahhh... wonderful memories of drive throughs ;)

I've learned to appreciate the virtues of drive-thrus: that it makes it easier for pts for the most part.

It's never gonna be something you like, particularly since they changed the policy on getting signatures for credit card purchases, and confidential pt counseling is pretty much 'out the window' (ha ha a play on words!!!!:p )

I definitely want to pursue Drug Development in the pharmaceutical industry...so somewhat research...but mor elike managing allt he research avenues of a company...
that would be awesome....but clinical would be another option I am considering...I want to interact with patients and help that way, as well

Originally posted by Triangulation
I've learned to appreciate the virtues of drive-thrus: that it makes it easier for pts for the most part.

It's never gonna be something you like, particularly since they changed the policy on getting signatures for credit card purchases, and confidential pt counseling is pretty much 'out the window' (ha ha a play on words!!!!:p )

I actually like my drive through window and don't see what all the fuss is about. It is not any different from having them come to the counter and is actually an improvement when there are three whiney kids in the back of the mini-van because of convenience both for momma and for me. The kids are contained OUTSIDE in their child transport unit. They are not inside distracting momma and making her more irritable than she already is by running up and down the aisles. The drive through is a wonderful novelty for my brit and european tourists who never realized just how "take away" American society is - they still have to walk inside to do banking for example. The drive through is a great plus for my oh-dark-thirty ER visitations when momma left the sedated victim in the car and is anxious about leaving him alone. I can grab her details and tell her to go and sit with dudley and just drive him through for the pick-up. It is indeed a wonderful convenience.
I love my doggie customers because we give out courtesy treats and the doggies know this. They arrive at the window with smiles on their faces in excited anticipation for their doggie treat. At WAGS there is no credit card to sign under fifty bucks so many straight pickups are slam dunk ESPECIALLY with the new express pay (credit card details on file in computer). The answer for the HIPPA requirement is always "NO" on my shift so that speeds things up (shh don't tell). Rude people with cell phones get walked away from and when they fuss I TELL them they are rude and I am busy - I have walked away from people at the counter with cell phones too. If they are yakking they have five New York seconds to give me their undivided attention before they get bumped in line.

The only down side are those who abuse the convenience expecting me to run about the store doing their shopping for them - something I will do in selected cases but I let them know I am doing them a BIG favor. The others get their hearts broken. They must come into the store. It is just managing your people, people. Polite but firm. No means no. The best part of the drive through window is when they get irate and rude, there is a volume button and an off switch. You can stand there smiling and waving or just wander off. I love my drive through window!
It is more conveniece for me than it is for them.

Originally posted by WVUPharm2007
...I dream of working on a Ph.D. in medicinal chemistry...but if that doesn't pan out and if forced to actually be a pharmacist, clinical pharmacy.

Careful what you wish for.. we have a Ph.D. medicinal chemist in out first year pharmacy class. :)

When I first thought of pharmacy as one of my career choices, I always imagined myself to be working in a hospital. My mom's a hospital pharmacist, so I guess I'd be a chip of the old block :p. But like Dana said, when I get to pharmacy school (2 years from now) and do my rotations..that'd show me what I really like or dislike.

Cyclo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dost thou love life? Then do not sqander time, for that is the stuff life is made of." Benjamin Franklin

I don't see myself working at the Hospital, I will not work for the government , and I was banned from retail, its all started with CVS 4 years ago.

I would like to be a Public Health Pharmacist. I want to be the director of Global Health for a non -profit Public Health association. If I could get into International Health, life would be perfect. That way , I will be able to oversee all of the association's international project and I wil be traveling like no other. But for now, I have to worry about passing Organic I.