Career while completing post bacc coursework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BluejayGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I graduated from Johns Hopkins University with a BA in the History of Science and Medicine last May (2007). My GPA is a grim 3.0, thanks to poor grades (Cs) in an upper-level neuroscience, Orgo and 2 humanities courses that turned out to be more difficult than expected.

I'm completing post bacc coursework through Northwestern University's School of Continuing Studies. I expect to complete required courses, relevant courses and MCAT prep/take the MCAT within the next two years.

Before this gets too long, I'm hoping someone can offer me a little career advice. I'm currently part of the admin team for a large center with NU's Feinberg School of Medicine. I write for the newsletter, help with science outreach and public education events and sit in a cubicle pushing papers.

While there is SOME room for promotion in my current job, I'd LOVE to work in a lab doing hands on science (at the bench). Sadly, I have no wet lab research experience outside of coursework.

I do, however, have a basic background in chem, bio, physiology and neuroscience. I've also taught basic labs to children in a science club (think PCR/DNA extraction and general chemistry, etc).

Would it be wiser for me to stay in my current administrative (slightly science related) position for the next two years, or would attempting to move into the lab (research tech) be more relevant to med schools?

I'm not sure who would hire me with so little experience, but I'm going crazy sitting in my cubicle.

Thanks for any advice!

Bluejaygirl

Members don't see this ad.

You could consider keeping your job for now, but taking a Research Seminar class for credit where you would be mentored in a lab, taught or refreshed on the necessary techniques, and have (usually) flexible hours as to when you're expected to show up. You would pick the Principle Investigator (PI) by scanning abstracts (on-line) of recent publications to find an area where you'd have a real interest (at my institution, you had to apply to PIs and find your own project). Once you've done this for a semester to a year, you'd have "experience", you'd have contacts, and you'd have a reasonable chance of finding employment in the same or another lab in your institution, if you liked it. At the minimum, you'd have something to list under "Research" on your AMCAS application experiences and a good Letter of Recommendation to use. While you gain the necessary skills, you are making a good salary at a job you enjoy, which will also look good on your application.