career reprocussions of getting fired

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardles888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

Im filling out some license paperwork and I noticed one question is have you ever had your hospital privileges rescinded/been let go from a job? I personally havent, but I imagine doctors get fired from jobs (although I know its rare). Im curious how these doctors would handle these questions moving forward. If you get fired, do you have to report it forever each time you apply for credentialing?

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone,

Im filling out some license paperwork and I noticed one question is have you ever had your hospital privileges rescinded/been let go from a job? I personally havent, but I imagine doctors get fired from jobs (although I know its rare). Im curious how these doctors would handle these questions moving forward. If you get fired, do you have to report it forever each time you apply for credentialing?

Yes. NEVER lie on your privilege or license applications. However, being asked to leave or forced out really isn't that uncommon. Usually physicians are "voluntold" to resign for various reasons. Most applications ask if you've ever had privileges suspended or resigned to avoid suspension of privileges or to avoid an investigation. That's different from being simply let go, which can be for low volume, philosophical differences, corporate downsizing, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
hi everyone,

Pretty much, yes. A lot of those questions specify "for cause," so most of the time if the department is "downsizing" you don't have to report. If you truly got fired because you're a bad doctor, then well yeah... you have to report it.

Reactions: 2 users
It depends on the situation. Termination of a business relationship is one thing. Often there is not a termination of hospital privileges. Termination can be for cause or no cause.

Termination of privileges for clinical competency is another issue (and is reportable to the NPDB). These issues are what the medical boards are looking for.

Reactions: 2 users