career length for a general surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea about the approximate career length for a general (or any other for that matter) surgeon?

I mean, a surgeon could always retire from his/her practice and teach or do something else, but if he/she wanted to continue to operate past retirement-age, is that a realistic possibility? Or would patients not really trust a surgeon who was getting too old (this is more along the lines of my original intent behind posting this question)? And what's out there for a surgeon who
can't operate due to age-limiting factors but doesn't want to retire? (I can't imagine medicine specialties having this be a major issue.)

Thanks for any input.
-Jayman

Members don't see this ad.

Some retire in their 50's; commonly, others operate well into their 70's. While surgeons are more susceptible to acute, career-limiting injuries, I don't think aging per se affects necessitates earlier retirement for surgeons. Many surgeons will slow down gradually, taking fewer and less complicated cases. In the academic environment, some surgeons take on an advisor/oracle role to colleagues or may supervise residents on more autonomous rotations (i.e. charity hospitals).

So to answer your question, if somehow impaired but not yet ready for retirement, you either teach or do cases not impacted by your disabilities.

From what I've seen. I think patients seem to trust old surgeons just as well, maybe more, than younger ones b/c of the wisdom and experience level they believe they must have.

Plus, so many patients are pretty old themselves, so to someone in their 80's, a surgeon over 65 might mean middle age in their mind.