Career hop - UC Denver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm completely new to the forums and relatively new to the idea of being a PharmD student.

I graduated with my B.Arch in 2006 and I've been working ever since. Starting in spring 2012 I'll be headed back to school at UC Denver to pick up all of the math/science prerequisites that I didn't have from my first go at school.

I was hoping to get some opinions from everyone, and maybe a few students who attended UC.

When I spoke with admissions, the adviser told me that over anything a high PCAT and GPA stands out. However, I keep seeing a lot of talk about volunteering and shadowing. I haven't seen a thing on the CU admissions page about it, nor did the adviser mention it in any way. I could likely volunteer while doing my pre-pharm, but I currently have no experience with it because I've been... well... working :p

Should I volunteer? Is there anything else a relative pharmD newb should know?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm completely new to the forums and relatively new to the idea of being a PharmD student.

I graduated with my B.Arch in 2006 and I've been working ever since. Starting in spring 2012 I'll be headed back to school at UC Denver to pick up all of the math/science prerequisites that I didn't have from my first go at school.

I was hoping to get some opinions from everyone, and maybe a few students who attended UC.

When I spoke with admissions, the adviser told me that over anything a high PCAT and GPA stands out. However, I keep seeing a lot of talk about volunteering and shadowing. I haven't seen a thing on the CU admissions page about it, nor did the adviser mention it in any way. I could likely volunteer while doing my pre-pharm, but I currently have no experience with it because I've been... well... working :p

Should I volunteer? Is there anything else a relative pharmD newb should know?

Thanks!
Some schools emphasize volunteer work more than others. If the school has a mission that includes emphasizing care to the underserved, they probably value volunteer work. If this isn't a major mission of the school, it might be less useful.

It's not necessary to volunteer, but as a volunteer, you can sometimes serve as a pharmacy technician, which allows you a glimpse into the career of a pharmacist and allows you to meet pharmacists. This is great because it helps you know what you're talking about if you get called for an interview.

Granted, there are other ways to prove you are serious about pharmacy, but volunteer work can be a great, life-enriching experience.

If CU emphasizes GPA and PCAT over all other things, then focus on that. Schools usually list how they choose their applicants; if you want to go to that school, look at their list and try to see if you fit well into what they are looking for, then work on your weak points.

Good luck!

Great thanks!

UC is my only pick - my only choice since my husband and I won't be able to move to accommodate another school - so I really have to hope I make it in there :)

I probably will volunteer to get a feel for everything since it is so different from what I do now, I just wasn't sure how much of a priority it is. I would like to work part time while in school if possible so I'll find a way to balance them both.

Thanks again!