Career changer chances for Bryn Mawr and Goucher PostBac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olivizzle23

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time making a post, and I was wondering what is the possibility of me getting into one of these two post bac programs?

I am considering these programs because I didn't know that these kinds of structured programs existed to fast-track people into medical school. I initially thought that doing premed coursework would take 2-3 years post undergrad, so seeing programs like this really motivates me now to pursue medicine. I know that it's a commitment that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Before considering this path I was looking at UCLA's nursing school for my masters since I have the prereqs done. I have not completed any premed prerequisites such as genchem, ochem, physics or biology.

More about me:
I am 23 years old and will graduate UC Berkeley in 2018 with a 3.7 gpa in sociology.
Prior to Berkeley, I interned at a top-tech company for one year in cybersecurity but after the internship decided to pursue a career in the healthcare field.
I transferred from community college with a 3.9 gpa, but I have 5Ws when I started community college (I have no Ws at Berkeley).
I do not have any research experience.
I have more than a year of volunteer experience at a hospital.
I have been working as a CNA for more than a year at a top US hospital in the bay area
I have completed Microbiology/L, Anatomy/L, Physiology/L, nutrition, and a watered down chemistry course for nurses (integrated biochem, ochem and genchem).
I don't have SAT scores because I transferred from a community college to Berkeley.

I really like these two programs because they seem very supportive, they are about a year long, and they have linkage agreements to many schools I am interested in.

Additionally, assuming I get into one of these postbac program, would my background disqualify me from getting into high ranked medical schools? I don't have years of healthcare or experience that other people have, but I do know that leaving the techworld to pursue one in healthcare has been so much more rewarding.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey! You have a very similar background to mine, and I was just accepted into the Bryn Mawr program! Feel free to message me.

Reactions: 1 user