Career change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgob

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a board certified OB/Gyn in private practice, and have always had an interest in pathology. I actually began medical school with the intention of becoming a pathologist, but fell in love with OB/Gyn. Unfortunately, the current hostile legal environment has caused me to seriously re-think my decision. My malpractice rates have more than doubled in 3 years, and will probably, at least, double again this year alone! I was wondering what applying to a path residency would require, and would appreciate any input from those in a similar situtation. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I'm really sorry to read of that your feeling forced out of your specialty because of the current legal climate. Its really a shame - especially if you like it. That said there are a lot of people who end up in path from other specialties. Since your not a PGY1 - you could contact some program directors directly and get their input about places outside the match. Otherwise, just enrolling in ERAS and sending out applications etc. Let us know what you decide to do.

M-