This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

which path is worthy to spend time?

• Residency in France

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Change to Culinary

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Telemedicine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hair Transplant Clinics

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

doctorsdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a doctor from the Philippines who holds a medical license degree in Philippines.
I have tried various residencies in the Philippines but then I got married to a french guy.
Now I am here in this foreign country whose Medical System is designed to kill doctors or either die trying.
I am 28 y.o this year. It feels like I went out of the school but no one taught me how to land a job.

Checklist Done:
  • Finished A1 level french. But speaking it is still a long way to go. Read some french medical books and it was tolerable.
  • IELTS passer (previously planned to go to UK for residency once I acquired a GMC but that's not probable now since my husband is building his restaurant here in Paris..)
  • Resident Permit Done. Social Security Done.

Career Change Plans:
  1. Telemedicine (These are Doctor consults but not allowed to give prescriptions, my friend in the Philippines was hired by a "Menopause" company in Australia; technically her job is work from home and hear the patients' concerns and adjust the dosages) - does anyone know a website that accepts "post-graduate foreign licensed physicians?"
  2. Hair Transplant (I was about to sign a contract at DHI company in the Philippines. But my father said NO so I tore the whole contract. And besides the filipino surgeon at the clinic discouraged me, herself. Great salary (compared to nothing at all) but contract binds for 5 years, training is free, good benefits) also exists in France.
  3. Culinary, Business Management Studies / Masters (since my husband, a sommelier, is jumping into business, my parents said better to change my career to either of those two. Ever since I married my husband, my culinary prowess was buried 6ft under. French are serious. Although, he is opening a Filipino-French restaurant with a Filipina chef who studied in this prestigious school of culinary arts, I doubt that I will be a big help in the kitchen anyway. It is a good idea, I think the filipina chef could entrust me the kitchen and we can take turns but I honestly think I dont have the talent. My father owns a restaurant, it has been going on for 20 years. I was great at cooking filipino foods, but seriously ever since I've tasted french cuisine and have done everything to please my husband through my dishes - it has been a fail. So im not so very confident about this.
  4. Residency in France (as impossible as it may sound, I am going to finish my french language studies, even though if it takes me 5 years for the sake of this family that I am building. But after 5 years I have to take PACES and the qualifying exam after 6th year. Hopefully, by that time the French Government will be more lenient. If not, i'd probably regret this path after 5 years)
  5. Residency in UK (I wish there was one path, clear ahead for my career, but sadly there is none. This one, I cannot predict the status of UK foreign medical practitioners in the future, choosing this career path is easier than in France but riskier.)
What I Really Need Right Now:
  • Is a job; not as a house cleaner, a baby sitter, or a waitress.
  • I still want to pursue residency, I figured, I won't get a decent job as a doctor out there without training.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it sucks to hear this, but you probably should have not gotten married or at least did long distance marriage and tried to become a doctor in the USA, or Australia. This would have been easier than the road that you are taking now. Most people on this website don't have experience with trying to switch careers while living outside of the US. I wish you good luck. Just make sure to not have any regrets in life. The longer you are outside of medicine, the harder it is to get back in.

If you want to be a doctor, get into residency wherever you can immediately and either go long distance or have your husband move. There is wine everywhere, there are not residency slots for you everywhere

Reactions: 1 user