Career change--hoping to get into a good school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolicytoDDS

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm looking for some advice or opinions on my chances to get into dental school. I graduated from undergrad in 2012 with a political science degree and a 3.3 cum GPA. I worked in the US Senate on healthcare policy for a few years and figured out that dentistry is what I want to do. I am a post-bacc now getting a 3.7 avg in my science pre-reqs. I don't really have volunteer hours since I was working long hours when employed. However, I have 50+ shadowing hours and growing. I am applying this June for fall '18. I am taking the DAT in July. If I do well on the DAT (which is what I'm working hard for) what are my chances for getting in? Does anyone have any recommendations on schools that might value past work experience?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think most schools will value past work experience. Good luck. Can't really give chances without a DAT score though.

Reactions: 1 user
You're doing great but as the previous poster said, can't evaluate accurately without the DAT score. However you should really amp up the volunteering and shadowing. I know you haven't shadowed a whole ton because work and what not but volunteering is pretty important imo

Also they will definitely take into account your previous work experience which us actually really cool since you've been working on healthcare.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good shot. Doctorate programs do value maturity and your grades look so far. Good luck.

Unless the application has changed since the time I applied, there is no "volunteering" section. I recall it being broken into dental experience, work experience, extracurriculars, and research. (You don't have to fill all the sections...not everyone does research, for example.) Your years of public service (which will go under work experience) is infinitely more impressive than spending a few hours in a soup kitchen for disingenuous reasons.