Career change ER to Nuc MED - IMHOTEP and others

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drck007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Glad I stumbled on this site.
I am considering a career change and wanted to get some input from those of you in practice (IMHOTEP) and those in residency.

I am currently board certified in Emergency Medicine (5 years post residency) and very stable financially but considering going back to residency in nuclear medicine with the specific goal of returning to Academia (prior to emergency medicine I had a PhD in physics).

Any thoughts on such a shift back. Financially I am sure I would take a big hit, but I suppose I could moonlight in the ED during residency.

Also from reading the prior posts, it appears that if you are board certified, it will only take 2 years??
Does this apply to emergency medicine?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Especially any real world experience from those of you that went from other fields of medicine -, internal medicine, peds, surgery etc ... to nuclear med.

cheers :thumbup:

drck007

Members don't see this ad.

you should be alright if you try out nuc med residency for career change,as you already have another residency in hand. In all probability you may land an academic job also, after the nm residency. it may work out well in your case. My suggestion is to go to a good place where you will get a chance to publish a bit while in the training, which can be helpful with academic job transition. so i will say its a good idea if you want to take a break from er. But i caution that the job market is very narrow for straight nukes, sometimes, it will become frustrating to find a job. in my case iam fortunate enough to find a decent paying job and iam ok in that regard, but i know some of my friends who had some rough time finding employment. this field is not appealing due to narrow job market. But in your case, you should be alright and trust me nuc physician job is far better than er stress.